Here's a link to an AMD & Microsoft article

GIPNOR

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.marketwatch.com/news/yhoo/story.asp?source=blq/yhoo&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo&guid={605678E9-C043-4B7E-94C7-E693D2BBA696}" target="_new">http://www.marketwatch.com/news/yhoo/story.asp?source=blq/yhoo&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo&guid={605678E9-C043-4B7E-94C7-E693D2BBA696}</A>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
That was an interesting article. Kudos to AMD for having the foresight to put that in their product. The only reason microsoft is helping AMD out is because they need every bit of security help they can get. Microsoft is in no position to be turning down anything that improves windows security.

The clear advantage AMD has is their 64bit backwards compatible (without a performance hit) to 32bit. If microsoft ever releases their 64bit windows for AMD it could even the playing field a little in terms of marketing. Hell it might even force Dell into acepting AMD but somhow I doubt it.

Nice to see somthing big in AMD's favor from a big player in the game, Microsoft.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Great article, thanks for posting.

While MS working with AMD to use this is definetly newsworthy and REALLY good news for windows admins everywhere(which I once was, before being kidnapped by penguins), this is really good news across the board for every OS that runs on AMD64, including Solaris, Linux, BSD, and any others.

Buffer overflows are a bigtime pain in the butt, and if you look through any OSs patch history, you'll see that tons of those patches are related to just this thing. Man, this is good news, although, I wonder why this ability of AMD64 hasn't been touted more in the IT rags? Or maybe it has, and that news never made it to the rock I live under...

Still, I have to wonder how effective this will be? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

<i>The wrath of penguins shall be felt. No windows shall be left unbroken.</i>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Interesting... But this might open new weird stuff... Will it be possible to write some CODE to mess with the READ/WRITE/EXECUTE status of the memory???

This might cause new kind of trouble if exploits are found!
Never underestimate the power of HACKERS!

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

sonoran

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
Seems I recall IBM System 370 machines having something like this...20 years ago. So it's not a new concept. Probably a good idea for PC's in this age of the hacker though.

>>>Will it be possible to write some CODE to mess with the READ/WRITE/EXECUTE status of the memory???

Excellent question!

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
I told you so....What's an Intel ? Is that a thermal heater ? I could keep one at my feet in the winter time or on car rides or in my sleeping bag but my computer case is going to have a really cool AMD processor.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
"AMD's 90nm chips are expected to dissipate 105W, 2 more than Scotty."

He's trolling, he doesn't care.

But as for the thermal issues of both Intel and AMD, good news for those who live in northern climates, bad news for those of us who live in the desert(except in the winter)... :smile:

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
He's trolling, he doesn't care.
Forgot about that :redface: .

But as for the thermal issues of both Intel and AMD, good news for those who live in northern climates, bad news for those of us who live in the desert(except in the winter)...
Glad I go to school in NH and live in CT! Nice cold, high-performance weather.

However, I seriously doubt that Intel or AMD would release a Retail CPU that doesn't work in some climates...isn't the retail package supposed to work even in the worst possible situations? As for OEM, it doesn't work w/o HSF and thermal paste anyway, so that's a moot point.

Damn Rambus.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
I will wager you a friendly bet that the New AMD 90nm do not exceed 80 Watts and the temperatures will not exceed 50 Deg air cooled.

This is not a guess either as yours was I understand how AMD handles cooling and it is much different then Intel stuff.

Besides who knows what AMD has up their sleeve for Wafer development...

If I see a guy jump off a bridge it does not mean I am going to follow him the fact that Intel is now forced to follow AMD leads me to believe that AMD has had a design breakthrough in technology due to either a hot shot engineering genius or an amalgamation of resources that Intel has no knowledge of.

The more I tinkle on the subject the more I convince myself in the presumption that the AMD engineers have stumbled across a new manufacturing process that enables them to put a bend in physics. I mean after all the best of the best work in the field of CPU research so it would not be to surprising to see a new development besides we are do in the 100 year cycle for new Eureka or 2

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
GeForce FX5900
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
" But this might open new weird stuff... Will it be possible to write some CODE to mess with the READ/WRITE/EXECUTE status of the memory???"

This could open some new stuff as I really don't know anything specific about it.

BUT, it stands to reason that if you find a way to modify the status of memory, you'll already have found a weakness to exploit in the system not related to this.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
"However, I seriously doubt that Intel or AMD would release a Retail CPU that doesn't work in some climates..."

That was just my stupid geek humour... The joke was in winter climates, when it gets cold, just fire up the hold computer, no need for a space heater! In the desert, especially during the summer, you won't want to be anywhere near that system. Spend the summer in a desert and you'll know why. :smile:

Wasn't trying to make some kind of climate argument at all. I'll leave that to the trolls...

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
On the contrary:

<<I will wager you a friendly bet that the New Intel 90nm do not exceed 80 Watts and the temperatures will not exceed 50 Deg air cooled.

This is not a guess either as yours was I understand how Intel handles cooling and it is much different then Intel stuff.

Besides who knows what Intel has up their sleeve for Wafer development...

If I see a guy jump off a bridge it does not mean I am going to follow him the fact that AMD is now forced to follow Intel leads me to believe that Intel has had a design breakthrough in technology due to either a hot shot engineering genius or an amalgamation of resources that AMD has no knowledge of.

The more I tinkle on the subject the more I convince myself in the presumption that the Intel engineers have stumbled across a new manufacturing process that enables them to put a bend in physics. I mean after all the best of the best work in the field of CPU research so it would not be to surprising to see a new development besides we are do in the 100 year cycle for new Eureka or 2.>>

Blah, blah, blah...pure speculation, you don't know how AMD handles their cooling any more than I know how Intel handles their cooling. I honestly doubt that either will run as hot as their reported 103W and 105W worth of dissipation. Frankly, the future Scotty and Tejas HSFs look amazingly good, eventually being able to control (even man-handle) all that power (once in production, prototypes have only been floating around).

What's amazing is how little you look at the other side; you refuse to accept the fact that Intel makes quality products and that chances are, though AMD is leading (performancewise) right now, Intel will be leading in a few months, then a few months after that AMD will be leading, and so on and so on. Neither AMD or Intel are the end-all and be-all of processor manufacturers...

Damn Rambus.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Correction Intel used to make quality products now hey make Hyper Trash and cant find their ass from a wafer.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
GeForce FX5900
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

Take all the software that has problems running with HT and run it on an Athlon MP platform... if it's truly a problem with HT... then the software should run fine on a dual-CPU setup, right? If not, your point is sh!t. (Which I think it is anyway... but humor me a little).

Most people don't have a dual-CPU setup at home, so that's why these problems are showing up on HT CPUs. Until you actually do the tests, keep your fat ass shut... you're stinking up this forum.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

I told you so....What's an Intel ? Is that a thermal heater ? I could keep one at my feet in the winter time or on car rides or in my sleeping bag but my computer case is going to have a really cool AMD processor.

Nothing AMD OR Intel put out will ever match the thermal output of the hot air coming from your mouth.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re: keep your fat ass shut... you're stinking up this forum.

LOL

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
"Nothing AMD OR Intel put out will ever match the thermal output of the hot air coming from your mouth."

That was the best laugh I've had all day... thanks...