Gateway's OEM XP and SP2

Has anyone run into the problem of having installed SP2 from MS's CD that
you can't get back into Windows because "A problem is preventing Windows
from accurately checking the license for the computer. Error Code: OX
8007007f". Windows just hangs in the Welcome screen with the above dialog. I
can get in in Safe Mode. MS's Help is stuck and is turning me back to the
OEM Gateway. Being the holiday weekend they don't have the "experts" in. I'm
locked out! Help! Denzil.

Here is what MS says;

Though Microsoft Corp.'s new security update package is all about
protecting systems from worms, viruses and spyware, it can't do much
about what's already on computers -- and that could pose a problem.

The company is warning users of the Windows XP operating system to check
for spyware before downloading the free massive security update, called
Service Pack 2.

Barry Goff, a group product manager at Microsoft, said some spyware
could cause computers to freeze up upon installation of the update.

Spyware, which typically piggybacks with downloaded software such as
file-sharing programs, tracks behavior, triggers pop-up ads and can
otherwise cause problems on computers.

Programs such as Ad-Aware and SpySweeper can scour computers for
spyware. Microsoft recommends that users clean their PCs of spyware and
back up their data before turning on the auto update feature that
automatically downloads Service Pack 2, or SP2.

People who download SP2 also may need to check whether legitimate
programs, such as third-party security software, need to be updated. SP2
makes major changes, including adding a Windows Firewall to better guard
computers against attack, and those changes can also cause compatibility
issues with other software.

Microsoft finished work on SP2 in early August and is slowly
distributing it to customers through automatic downloads, manual
downloads and CDs. The company is metering out the product to avoid
clogging up networks and slowing other Internet traffic -- and to
monitor for any glitches.

Goff said fewer than 10 million consumers have received SP2, while
several million businesses have downloaded the product. Research firm
IDC estimates that about 260 have been sold.

Denzil Hathway wrote:
> Has anyone run into the problem of having installed SP2 from MS's CD that
> you can't get back into Windows because "A problem is preventing Windows
> from accurately checking the license for the computer. Error Code: OX
> 8007007f". Windows just hangs in the Welcome screen with the above dialog. I
> can get in in Safe Mode. MS's Help is stuck and is turning me back to the
> OEM Gateway. Being the holiday weekend they don't have the "experts" in. I'm
> locked out! Help! Denzil.

I appreciate the reply. I too had thought about adware etc. To that end I
put in a new 120 Gig WD HDD I had promised myself, and clean installed XP
from Gateway's supplied OS disk. I then reinstalled SP2 (twice) from MS's CD
and got the same result. That is, couldn't boot into Windoes, but could get
into Safe Mode.

I uninstalled SP2, cleaned up, and then went after the Automatic Upgrade to
SP2 by download. Again (twice) no boot into XP but can get into Safe Mode. I
uninstalled SP2, now for the sixth time, and got a normal startup in XP once
again.

It would appear that there is an incompaibility between SP2 and my OEM
(gateway) supplied XP that came with the computer. It's a week now and
Gateway have yet to answer my e-mail to tech support. Yeah, the same Gateway
that accepted my order and then took a week to tell me they couldn't supply
the WD HDD for a further two weeks. I bought one for $70 less at CompUSA a
half hour later.

Anyone know what's going on with SP2? MS support don't know, they tried and
then turned me back to Gateway. Denzil

TRENDING THREADS