Testing DVD burning without a disk

truepurple

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I am interested in buying a blu-ray burner. But it might be a real long time before I get bluray disks to burn on it. Is there a way to test if the blu-ray burner is operational in regards to burning blu-rays, without any blu-ray R disks?

Solution
no this will not assure the blueray *writing* works. to do that you would actually need to *write* to one. The things i mentioned only give a general overview of drive functionality (but lacking the one test that is really needed for 100%)

Compare this to test driving a car without gasoline. you could look at the car, push the car, sit in the car, roll down a hill...but if you cannot start the car the other information is almost useless.

sure you pay a premium for buying 5 disks instead of 50. however, under $20 is better than paying for 50/100 disks if you dont plan on using them for a long time.

Either that or google about blueray burners to see if they use a different laser or not for dvd/cd writing and blueray writing.
you can test the drives read speeds by burning a disc image to your hardrive from a blueray

you can test cd/dvd write read/write speeds (if supported) by burning to dvd media

you can test out lightscribe support on any disk type.

---

If the blueray burning portion uses the same laser as the (if supported) dvd/cd portion then there is a 99.999% chance that it will work fine. If you require more than that... go buy some blueray disks...they sell them in 5 packs you know.

truepurple

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
How do I know if the player uses the same laser for all 3?

you can test the drives read speeds by burning a disc image to your hardrive from a blueray
This will help assure the blu-ray burning portion of the drive works?

As far as buying blu-ray R disks in a 5 pack, even then with such a tiny quantity, it costs alot (and of course there is the premium charge for not having 50 or a 100 disks in one)

no this will not assure the blueray *writing* works. to do that you would actually need to *write* to one. The things i mentioned only give a general overview of drive functionality (but lacking the one test that is really needed for 100%)

Compare this to test driving a car without gasoline. you could look at the car, push the car, sit in the car, roll down a hill...but if you cannot start the car the other information is almost useless.

sure you pay a premium for buying 5 disks instead of 50. however, under $20 is better than paying for 50/100 disks if you dont plan on using them for a long time.

Either that or google about blueray burners to see if they use a different laser or not for dvd/cd writing and blueray writing.

Solution