Keyboard and Mouse Lockup

I'm having a problem with my mouse and keyboard locking up periodically. The
problem seems to be intermittent. The last thing I did was use microsft
update for xp. It called out a couple of h/w updates so I installed them.
They are:

Marvell Semiconductor - Networking - Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI
Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Marvell network software update released on July 20 2005.

Microsoft Corporation - Modems - Smart Link 56K Voice Modem
Smart Link modem software update released on July 18 2003.

I don't know for sure these updates are causing my problem, but I'm
suspicious of them since I haven't really done anything different since the
problem started manifesting itself. On the other hand why would they cause
this problem - unless the keyboard and mouse are just symptom and really the
PC is locking up. Hmmm.

Is there a way to uninstall these updates? Has anyonyone else had this
problem?

Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about keyboard mouse lockup

    jhainsworth wrote:

    > I'm having a problem with my mouse and keyboard locking up periodically. The
    > problem seems to be intermittent. The last thing I did was use microsft
    > update for xp. It called out a couple of h/w updates so I installed them.
    > They are:
    >
    > Marvell Semiconductor - Networking - Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI
    > Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    > Marvell network software update released on July 20 2005.
    >
    > Microsoft Corporation - Modems - Smart Link 56K Voice Modem
    > Smart Link modem software update released on July 18 2003.
    >
    > I don't know for sure these updates are causing my problem, but I'm
    > suspicious of them since I haven't really done anything different since the
    > problem started manifesting itself. On the other hand why would they cause
    > this problem - unless the keyboard and mouse are just symptom and really the
    > PC is locking up. Hmmm.
    >
    > Is there a way to uninstall these updates? Has anyonyone else had this
    > problem?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Go to device manager and roll back the drivers. Never get hardware
    driver updates from the windows update site. Only get them from the
    hardware manufacturer's site or the OEM's site if it's a major OEM like
    Dell or Gateway.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    thanks, i tried it! we'll see what happens........

    jhainsworth wrote:

    > thanks, i tried it! we'll see what happens........
    >
    > "Rock" wrote:
    >

    >>jhainsworth wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm having a problem with my mouse and keyboard locking up periodically. The
    >>>problem seems to be intermittent. The last thing I did was use microsft
    >>>update for xp. It called out a couple of h/w updates so I installed them.
    >>>They are:
    >>>
    >>>Marvell Semiconductor - Networking - Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI
    >>>Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    >>>Marvell network software update released on July 20 2005.
    >>>
    >>>Microsoft Corporation - Modems - Smart Link 56K Voice Modem
    >>>Smart Link modem software update released on July 18 2003.
    >>>
    >>>I don't know for sure these updates are causing my problem, but I'm
    >>>suspicious of them since I haven't really done anything different since the
    >>>problem started manifesting itself. On the other hand why would they cause
    >>>this problem - unless the keyboard and mouse are just symptom and really the
    >>>PC is locking up. Hmmm.
    >>>
    >>>Is there a way to uninstall these updates? Has anyonyone else had this
    >>>problem?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks!
    >>
    >>Go to device manager and roll back the drivers. Never get hardware
    >>driver updates from the windows update site. Only get them from the
    >>hardware manufacturer's site or the OEM's site if it's a major OEM like
    >>Dell or Gateway.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Rock
    >>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User