Why the Windows XP Internet Games are not working

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games,microsoft.public.games.zone,microsoft.public.games.zone.board (More info?)

Face it. Micro$oft makes much more money off of the advertising on the
zone. They probably took this down in order to force people to use the zone
instead. After all, the problem has been widely reported for about 3-4 days
now.

So the scenario is:

1. Microsoft is unable to fix simple problems with services they provide,
or

2. Microsoft is willing to simply cancel services they provide and disable
parts of their systems without notice or recourse.

In either case, think hard before you sign up for ANY micro$oft service.
Pressure anybody you do business with NOT to use Passport as an
authorization mechanism. Do NOT use a Microsoft photo service or music
service. At any point they may have you hostage and decide to cut your
service to force you into something more expensive.

The silence from Micro$oft here is deafening. It's their own application,
their own servers, their own public groups, and they have not said a word.

I invite a response from Micro$oft. Since they've failed to respond thus
far, we can see clearly where they stand.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games,microsoft.public.games.zone,microsoft.public.games.zone.board (More info?)

So you not only know what the problem is, but where to go and what to do to
fix it?

Send them a resume.

As far as a response here, they call this community support (instead of MS
support, or paid support) for a reason. While you're going to see an actual
MS person on (rare) occasion, normally it's user to user.

"Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Face it. Micro$oft makes much more money off of the advertising on the
> zone. They probably took this down in order to force people to use the
zone
> instead. After all, the problem has been widely reported for about 3-4
days
> now.
>
> So the scenario is:
>
> 1. Microsoft is unable to fix simple problems with services they provide,
> or
>
> 2. Microsoft is willing to simply cancel services they provide and
disable
> parts of their systems without notice or recourse.
>
> In either case, think hard before you sign up for ANY micro$oft service.
> Pressure anybody you do business with NOT to use Passport as an
> authorization mechanism. Do NOT use a Microsoft photo service or music
> service. At any point they may have you hostage and decide to cut your
> service to force you into something more expensive.
>
> The silence from Micro$oft here is deafening. It's their own application,
> their own servers, their own public groups, and they have not said a word.
>
> I invite a response from Micro$oft. Since they've failed to respond thus
> far, we can see clearly where they stand.

---

Nobody wrote:
> Face it. Micro$oft makes much more money off of the advertising on
> the zone. They probably took this down in order to force people to
> use the zone instead. After all, the problem has been widely
> reported for about 3-4 days now.
>
> So the scenario is:
>
> 1. Microsoft is unable to fix simple problems with services they
> provide, or
>
> 2. Microsoft is willing to simply cancel services they provide and
> disable parts of their systems without notice or recourse.
>
> In either case, think hard before you sign up for ANY micro$oft
> service. Pressure anybody you do business with NOT to use Passport as
> an authorization mechanism. Do NOT use a Microsoft photo service or
> music service. At any point they may have you hostage and decide to
> cut your service to force you into something more expensive.
>
> The silence from Micro$oft here is deafening. It's their own
> application, their own servers, their own public groups, and they
> have not said a word.
>
> I invite a response from Micro$oft. Since they've failed to respond
> thus far, we can see clearly where they stand.

This is not the first time, it happened many times during the past
years. M$ business as usual. They simply give a sh** on what you
are writing. They never reply here or if you send a mail to the
zone's webmaster.

Only some lonesome volunteers are trying to help the users in the
microsoft.puplic.games.* (Nothing against them) no one else is
reading or ever will.

The whole zone seems to be administered by volunteers also, who
knows? In the AOC gamerooms we are regulary posting this joke
if they have crashed the whole zone again:

M$ Volunteer: "Hey, what is this red button for???" - Let me
try it Woooosh! Oooops! "Sorry, our services are not available
at the time...". Bwuahahaha....

I have the nasty fealing it's no joke.... We MUST have 1993!
No wonder that it's THAT hard to run a reliable service,
and fix errors in less than 4 weeks, or just get zone friends
running, isn't it?

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games,microsoft.public.games.zone,microsoft.public.games.zone.board (More info?)

We all know where the general problem is. It's been pretty clearly
confirmed that it's their servers. Suspicion was that is was the updates,
but other have confirmed the same problems and have not applied the updates
in question.

I'm sure I could have resolved the issue by now. Every time I roll out a
new application or system changes I have a rollback plan. I can also tell
you that they should be running something like this on some form of cluster,
in which case a hardware failure could be taken offline in short order.

I'm assuming you are not technical, since you don't seem to be aware of the
basics.

As for M$ responding here, I would think it would cost them relatively
little to have someone monitor these groups. They created them after all.
It would probably be good for them in the long run. If they explained
situations like this it would result in a good bit of goodwill.

Remember, the people complaining about these games are not talking about
general zone games. This is not an application from Windows 98 or 2000.
These are apps that shipped with a current version of Windows. They have
left a part of their current OS broken for days with no explanation.

"E McCann" <love.nodotshere.myquadra@mad.scientist.com> wrote in message
> So you not only know what the problem is, but where to go and what to do
> fix it?
>
> Send them a resume.
>
> As far as a response here, they call this community support (instead of MS
> support, or paid support) for a reason. While you're going to see an
actual
> MS person on (rare) occasion, normally it's user to user.
>

> "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Face it. Micro$oft makes much more money off of the advertising on the
> > zone. They probably took this down in order to force people to use the
> zone
> > instead. After all, the problem has been widely reported for about 3-4
> days
> > now.
> >
> > So the scenario is:
> >
> > 1. Microsoft is unable to fix simple problems with services they
provide,
> > or
> >
> > 2. Microsoft is willing to simply cancel services they provide and
> disable
> > parts of their systems without notice or recourse.
> >
> > In either case, think hard before you sign up for ANY micro$oft service.
> > Pressure anybody you do business with NOT to use Passport as an
> > authorization mechanism. Do NOT use a Microsoft photo service or music
> > service. At any point they may have you hostage and decide to cut your
> > service to force you into something more expensive.
> >
> > The silence from Micro$oft here is deafening. It's their own
application,
> > their own servers, their own public groups, and they have not said a
word.

> > I invite a response from Micro$oft. Since they've failed to respond
thus
> > far, we can see clearly where they stand.
> >

> ---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games,microsoft.public.games.zone,microsoft.public.games.zone.board (More info?)

Whatever, chuckles. I didn't post anything close to a technical response.
Somewhat sarcastic, yes. Technical, no.

> [...]
> > disable
> > > parts of their systems without notice or recourse.
> > >
> > > In either case, think hard before you sign up for ANY micro$oft
service.
> > > Pressure anybody you do business with NOT to use Passport as an
> > > authorization mechanism. Do NOT use a Microsoft photo service or
music
> > > service. At any point they may have you hostage and decide to cut
your
> > > service to force you into something more expensive.
> > >
> > > The silence from Micro$oft here is deafening. It's their own
> application,
> > > their own servers, their own public groups, and they have not said a
> word.
> > >
> > > I invite a response from Micro$oft. Since they've failed to respond
> thus
> > > far, we can see clearly where they stand.

---