How do I get rid of PSGuard (spyware program),it keeps com..

I found the above program in my computer a couple days ago and can not be
rid of it,not sure how I got it but it looks like is hiding in my
computer,as I can not see it,but when a pop up comes up on the screen,every
ten minutes or so,offering the program for $ 49.95.
I checked some forums and this PSGuard is considered to be malware or a
virus,bad news anyways.
Does anybody know how to be rid of it,without reformatting?
I am running a Dell,WinXP,2.8 Mhz,with the Firewall On,and I tried SpyBot
and Adaware with no results.
Thanks

Alberto

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Alberto wrote:
> I found the above program in my computer a couple days ago and can not be
> rid of it,not sure how I got it but it looks like is hiding in my
> computer,as I can not see it,but when a pop up comes up on the screen,every
> ten minutes or so,offering the program for $ 49.95.
> I checked some forums and this PSGuard is considered to be malware or a
> virus,bad news anyways.
> Does anybody know how to be rid of it,without reformatting?
> I am running a Dell,WinXP,2.8 Mhz,with the Firewall On,and I tried SpyBot
> and Adaware with no results.
> Thanks
>
> Alberto

Make sure you do all malware scans in safe mode.

THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Richard Harper’s Guide to Cleaning Pests
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

Also here are some links for how to remove it:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=psguard&btnG=Search

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Alberto wrote:

> I found the above program in my computer a couple days ago and can not be
> rid of it,not sure how I got it but it looks like is hiding in my
> computer,as I can not see it,but when a pop up comes up on the screen,every
> ten minutes or so,offering the program for $ 49.95.
> I checked some forums and this PSGuard is considered to be malware or a
> virus,bad news anyways.
> Does anybody know how to be rid of it,without reformatting?
> I am running a Dell,WinXP,2.8 Mhz,with the Firewall On,and I tried SpyBot
> and Adaware with no results.
> Thanks
>
> Alberto

Alberto, please don't post any HijackThis logs here. This is not the
forum for them and pcbutts1 has been told this many times. If you can't
remove it by the links I provided and need to run HijackThis there are
specialty forums for that purpose:

Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Download, install, update and run all of the following.

Ad-Aware
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe

Spybot search and destroy
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/spybotsd14.exe

Ewido Security Suite Trial version

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta1)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

a copy of the log file and cut and paste it back here to this group so that
I can analyze it. Ignore anyone especially the troll Leythos, who will tag
along a nonsense post to this message, who tells you to post it elsewhere. I
need to see it not them.

HijackThis

The authors of the above programs, with the exception of Microsoft has given
the owner of pcbutts1.com express written permission to redistribute their
software.

"Alberto" <graber65@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I found the above program in my computer a couple days ago and can not be
> rid of it,not sure how I got it but it looks like is hiding in my
> computer,as I can not see it,but when a pop up comes up on the
> screen,every
> ten minutes or so,offering the program for $ 49.95.
> I checked some forums and this PSGuard is considered to be malware or a
> virus,bad news anyways.
> Does anybody know how to be rid of it,without reformatting?
> I am running a Dell,WinXP,2.8 Mhz,with the Firewall On,and I tried SpyBot
> and Adaware with no results.
> Thanks
>
> Alberto

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/tshoot.html

When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
(http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
your log to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
for expert analysis, not here.**

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Download, install and run MS AntiSpyware (Beta): http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx.

--
Greetings,
Daniel Martín

In article <IA2Te.747$7D1.324@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
@seedsv.com says...
> Download, install, update and run all of the following.

Read and follow these links as needed to fix your system:

Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
of non-vendor site you have no guarantee that the files are unmodified
or uncompromised. Anyone providing a link to a non-vendors site with a
direct download should not be trusted, the vendors sites are the safest
place to download their application.

Also, do not post your log files here - there are HiJack groups for just
that purpose, not to mention all the web based forums setup for looking
at them.

Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.

AdAwareSE can be found here:

SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:

Ewido Security Suite Trial can be found here:
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

You can also download Symantec Trial version of their Antivirus software
from here:
http://www.symantec.com/downloads/

Download AVG Personal Free edition from here:
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

These are the actual vendors sites, not some unknown or authorized no-
name site. They also don't artificially increase the hits for sites that
get paid for the amount of traffic they can generate like one poster has
admitted to in this group.

When running these application, install them, update them, then reboot
in SAFE MODE and run them again to get even more things.

If you take nothing else from this post, remember the following:

Only download files from Trusted Sites.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Stop replying to my posts and stalking me Stalker.

> In article <IA2Te.747$7D1.324@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
> @seedsv.com says...
>> Download, install, update and run all of the following.
>
> Read and follow these links as needed to fix your system:
>
> Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
> of non-vendor site you have no guarantee that the files are unmodified
> or uncompromised. Anyone providing a link to a non-vendors site with a
> direct download should not be trusted, the vendors sites are the safest
> place to download their application.
>
> Also, do not post your log files here - there are HiJack groups for just
> that purpose, not to mention all the web based forums setup for looking
> at them.
>
> Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.
>
> AdAwareSE can be found here:
> http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
>
> SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:
> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
>
> Ewido Security Suite Trial can be found here:
> http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
>
> You can also download Symantec Trial version of their Antivirus software
> from here:
> http://www.symantec.com/downloads/
>
> Download AVG Personal Free edition from here:
> http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
>
> These are the actual vendors sites, not some unknown or authorized no-
> name site. They also don't artificially increase the hits for sites that
> get paid for the amount of traffic they can generate like one poster has
> admitted to in this group.
>
> When running these application, install them, update them, then reboot
> in SAFE MODE and run them again to get even more things.
>
> If you take nothing else from this post, remember the following:
>
> Only download files from Trusted Sites.
>

> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

In my opinion, this violates the acceptable use of your ISP, therefore I
have filed a complaint.

No one is replying to YOUR posts when they answer a question with factual
information. I suspect your mommy will be mad when you lose her internet
connection.

Thank you for your recent message to SBC Internet (abuse@sbcglobal.net).

We value your feedback and treat all abuse related issues with the
highest priority and integrity. SBC is committed to the security of
it.s customer and their information and to the enforcement of it.s
Acceptable Use Policy and Terms of Service.

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> Stop replying to my posts and stalking me Stalker.

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> In article <IA2Te.747$7D1.324@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
>> @seedsv.com says...
>>> Download, install, update and run all of the following.
>>
>> Read and follow these links as needed to fix your system:
>>
>> Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
>> of non-vendor site you have no guarantee that the files are unmodified
>> or uncompromised. Anyone providing a link to a non-vendors site with a
>> direct download should not be trusted, the vendors sites are the safest
>> place to download their application.
>>
>> Also, do not post your log files here - there are HiJack groups for just
>> that purpose, not to mention all the web based forums setup for looking
>> at them.
>>
>> Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.
>>
>> AdAwareSE can be found here:
>> http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
>>
>> SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:
>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
>>
>> Ewido Security Suite Trial can be found here:
>> http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
>>
>> You can also download Symantec Trial version of their Antivirus software
>> from here:
>> http://www.symantec.com/downloads/
>>
>> Download AVG Personal Free edition from here:
>> http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
>>
>> These are the actual vendors sites, not some unknown or authorized no-
>> name site. They also don't artificially increase the hits for sites that
>> get paid for the amount of traffic they can generate like one poster has
>> admitted to in this group.
>>
>> When running these application, install them, update them, then reboot
>> in SAFE MODE and run them again to get even more things.
>>
>> If you take nothing else from this post, remember the following:
>>
>> Only download files from Trusted Sites.
>>

>> --
>>
>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>> remove 999 in order to email me

Leythos and others already tried that. It didn't work, what makes you think
you can do better?

"Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> In my opinion, this violates the acceptable use of your ISP, therefore I
> have filed a complaint.
>
> No one is replying to YOUR posts when they answer a question with factual
> information. I suspect your mommy will be mad when you lose her internet
> connection.
>
> Thank you for your recent message to SBC Internet (abuse@sbcglobal.net).
>
> We value your feedback and treat all abuse related issues with the
> highest priority and integrity. SBC is committed to the security of
> it.s customer and their information and to the enforcement of it.s
> Acceptable Use Policy and Terms of Service.
>
> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
>> Stop replying to my posts and stalking me Stalker.
>>
>> --

>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>>> In article <IA2Te.747$7D1.324@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
>>> @seedsv.com says...
>>>
>>> Read and follow these links as needed to fix your system:
>>>
>>> Only download software you can validate as uncompromised - in the case
>>> of non-vendor site you have no guarantee that the files are unmodified
>>> or uncompromised. Anyone providing a link to a non-vendors site with a
>>> direct download should not be trusted, the vendors sites are the safest
>>> place to download their application.
>>>
>>> Also, do not post your log files here - there are HiJack groups for just
>>> that purpose, not to mention all the web based forums setup for looking
>>> at them.
>>>
>>> Always remember - only download files from Trusted Sites.
>>>
>>> AdAwareSE can be found here:
>>> http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
>>>
>>> SpyBot Search and Destroy can be found here:
>>> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
>>>
>>> Ewido Security Suite Trial can be found here:
>>> http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
>>>
>>> You can also download Symantec Trial version of their Antivirus software
>>> from here:
>>> http://www.symantec.com/downloads/
>>>
>>> Download AVG Personal Free edition from here:
>>> http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
>>>
>>> These are the actual vendors sites, not some unknown or authorized no-
>>> name site. They also don't artificially increase the hits for sites that
>>> get paid for the amount of traffic they can generate like one poster has
>>> admitted to in this group.
>>>
>>> When running these application, install them, update them, then reboot
>>> in SAFE MODE and run them again to get even more things.
>>>
>>> If you take nothing else from this post, remember the following:
>>>
>>> Only download files from Trusted Sites.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>>> remove 999 in order to email me

Several good reasons, but I guess we will see eh?

> Leythos and others already tried that. It didn't work, what makes you
> think you can do better?

> "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>> In my opinion, this violates the acceptable use of your ISP, therefore I
>> have filed a complaint.
>>
>> No one is replying to YOUR posts when they answer a question with factual
>> information. I suspect your mommy will be mad when you lose her internet
>> connection.
>>
>> Thank you for your recent message to SBC Internet (abuse@sbcglobal.net).
>>
>> We value your feedback and treat all abuse related issues with the
>> highest priority and integrity. SBC is committed to the security of
>> it.s customer and their information and to the enforcement of it.s
>> Acceptable Use Policy and Terms of Service.
>>
>> "pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
>>> Stop replying to my posts and stalking me Stalker.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> The best live web video on the internet
>>> http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
>>> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
>>> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
>>> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
>>>

>>> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message

Thanks to all of you for your replies,I am working on this now.
Regards

Alberto

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Alberto wrote:
>
> > I found the above program in my computer a couple days ago and can not
be
> > rid of it,not sure how I got it but it looks like is hiding in my
> > computer,as I can not see it,but when a pop up comes up on the
screen,every
> > ten minutes or so,offering the program for $ 49.95.
> > I checked some forums and this PSGuard is considered to be malware or a
> > virus,bad news anyways.
> > Does anybody know how to be rid of it,without reformatting?
> > I am running a Dell,WinXP,2.8 Mhz,with the Firewall On,and I tried
SpyBot
> > and Adaware with no results.
> > Thanks
> >
> > Alberto
> >

> Alberto, please don't post any HijackThis logs here. This is not the
> forum for them and pcbutts1 has been told this many times. If you can't
> remove it by the links I provided and need to run HijackThis there are
> specialty forums for that purpose:
>
> Forums to Interpret HijackThis Logs:
>
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
> http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Alias

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote

> Stop replying to my posts and stalking me Stalker.

This from a slimeball that posts direct downloads? YOU are not behaving
yourself correctly. Leythos is making sure that no one will foolishly follow
your advice.

Alias

No he is not. He thinks he is but he is not.

In article <FJ5Te.991$eQ7.414@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
@seedsv.com says...
> Leythos and others already tried that. It didn't work, what makes you think
> you can do better?

I have NOT made any attempt to contact your ISP. If you want me to, I
can easily do that, if you want me too.

If I wanted to get you dropped, you've already done more than enough to
have your web hosting for the butts site yanked, and your ISP would yank
you for the harassment site you put up.

Just let me know if you want me to contact them - I will if you want.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Stalker!

In article <1M7Te.556$JN5.284@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
@seedsv.com says...
> Stalker!

Stop posting in these groups if you don't want a response to your post -
oh, and don't post a reply about/to me and expect me to not reply.

Grow up before your mom takes the computer away from you.
--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Stop Stalking me. Stop replying to my post. You are a stalker. Stop Stalking
me you cyberstalker

> In article <1M7Te.556$JN5.284@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
> @seedsv.com says...
>> Stalker!
>
> Stop posting in these groups if you don't want a response to your post -
> oh, and don't post a reply about/to me and expect me to not reply.
>
> Grow up before your mom takes the computer away from you.
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Alias

Don't flatter yourself, Butthead. Not even a real stalker would be
interested in you. We are only interested in the people you are trying to
cheat and con out of their money.

Get it?

Alias
> Stop Stalking me. Stop replying to my post. You are a stalker. Stop
> Stalking
> me you cyberstalker

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> In article <1M7Te.556$JN5.284@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, pcbutts1
>> @seedsv.com says...
>>> Stalker!
>>
>> Stop posting in these groups if you don't want a response to your post -
>> oh, and don't post a reply about/to me and expect me to not reply.
>>
>> Grow up before your mom takes the computer away from you.
>> --
>>
>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>> remove 999 in order to email me

I am happy to report that I used the program
AntiSpyware Beta 1

recommended to me here and got rid of the problem with PSGuard.

Thanks to all of you! :)

Alberto

"Alberto" <graber65@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I found the above program in my computer a couple days ago and can not be
> rid of it,not sure how I got it but it looks like is hiding in my
> computer,as I can not see it,but when a pop up comes up on the
> screen,every
> ten minutes or so,offering the program for $ 49.95.
> I checked some forums and this PSGuard is considered to be malware or a
> virus,bad news anyways.
> Does anybody know how to be rid of it,without reformatting?
> I am running a Dell,WinXP,2.8 Mhz,with the Firewall On,and I tried SpyBot
> and Adaware with no results.
> Thanks
>
> Alberto

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Alberto wrote:

> I am happy to report that I used the program
> AntiSpyware Beta 1
>
> recommended to me here and got rid of the problem with PSGuard.
>
> Thanks to all of you! :)
>
> Alberto
>

> "Alberto" <graber65@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>
>>I found the above program in my computer a couple days ago and can not be
>>rid of it,not sure how I got it but it looks like is hiding in my
>>computer,as I can not see it,but when a pop up comes up on the
>>screen,every
>>ten minutes or so,offering the program for $ 49.95.
>>I checked some forums and this PSGuard is considered to be malware or a
>>virus,bad news anyways.
>>Does anybody know how to be rid of it,without reformatting?
>>I am running a Dell,WinXP,2.8 Mhz,with the Firewall On,and I tried SpyBot
>>and Adaware with no results.
>>Thanks
>>
>>Alberto

Great Alberto, glad it's fixed and thanks for posting back the resolution.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User