Compaq Deskpro 2000 - Need help identifying model #

I have an old Deskpro 2000, with a PII 266, I have found the serial
number but no luck with the model number. Need this be able to get
the right softpaq to upgrade the BIOS. Can anybody help?

Thanks

i need the same help but for a 166 mhz, can anyone help here, or is this
inquiry useless here? I see that nobody helped the other guy...it's been
almost 2 weeks since he posted...if anyone has an idea, i'd be
grateful..i'm doing this for charity, seriously...so help me out. Also,
can I make the disk that i need for this old deskpro (FAT) on a pc that is
NTFS?

Compaq DeskPros are stickered with information describing the original
configuration. The model number is also on the same sticker, usually affixed to
the case cover.

Delete the NTFS partition using FDISK, then set up FAT32 partitions as you see
fit, and install Windows 95/98/ME or Linux... Ben Myers.

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:54:28 -0400, "dave4hirenow3000"
<dave4hirenow3000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>i need the same help but for a 166 mhz, can anyone help here, or is this
>inquiry useless here? I see that nobody helped the other guy...it's been
>almost 2 weeks since he posted...if anyone has an idea, i'd be
>grateful..i'm doing this for charity, seriously...so help me out. Also,
>can I make the disk that i need for this old deskpro (FAT) on a pc that is
>NTFS?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:54:28 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
"dave4hirenow3000" <dave4hirenow3000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>i need the same help but for a 166 mhz, can anyone help here, or is this
>inquiry useless here? I see that nobody helped the other guy...it's been
>almost 2 weeks since he posted...if anyone has an idea, i'd be
>grateful..i'm doing this for charity, seriously...so help me out. Also,
>can I make the disk that i need for this old deskpro (FAT) on a pc that is
>NTFS?

I have a Compaq Deskpro 2000 5166.

If it's the "5166" part you're looking for, here's how I got it.

During boot, press "F10" when cursor jumps to top-right
(just after memory check)

This should get you the "Compaq Utilities" menu.

3rd option - "View system info" _Inspect.
1st option in the Inspect menu.

You can save the entire output of the inspect to a file on disk.

Rgs,

SSS,
Steve / Strathclyde / Scotland.
-------------------------------

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 03:44:35 +0100, in alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq Steve
<sss@address.is.invalid> wrote:

Thinking about it, I wouldn't try the save to a non FAT disk!!

--
SSS,
Steve / Strathclyde / Scotland.
-------------------------------

Thanks alot for the responses, but I relayed the wrong problem..First off,
the pc I am trying to fix, I formatted the hard drive, not knowing that I
wouldn't be able to access the bios afterwards....now, I want to reinstall
Windows 2000, but I'm having a problem, nothing will work when i try to
install, and I cant access the bios, so I need to make a disk with a
softpaq(I think)but the only ID I have for the sick machine is deskpro
2000 and I know that is 166 mhz...Evidently, I need to obtain a softpaq,
which requires me to know certain information that I should have got from
the pc before I formatted the HD....I'm under the impression that I need
this softpaq to fix the bios, or reinstall it...I think it was on the
HD...(does this thing have a cmos?) I'm really confused here...never run
into this problem, and like I said I'm doing this to help someone who cant
afford the local repair shop...Second, the softpaq that i need must be
DL'd onto floppy from my computer, which is NTFS...the sick machine is
FAT....will the info on the floppy(softpaq), which will probably require
me to make a boot disk for the sick machine be compatible with the sick
machine FAT if the disk is created on an NTFS? If not, I will have to use
an old pc at a friends house, but that is 35 miles from my home..I've
tried that when I thought I had the right "softpaq"(if thats what I need),
and I dont know which of the 15-20 some odd softpaqs available at the site
I was at is the right one...if anyone can tellme the right one, or what
other information i can get from the inside of this thing, and where it is
to narrow my search, I would appreciate it very very much...God bless you
guys for trying...sorry to give you the wrong idea to start....dave

[...]

Latest posts