unknown23c

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
has anybody figured out whats wrong with these monitors the backlight is shutting off after a few minuts when turned on but if you turn the brightness down its stays on longer ive went threw some of the board to figure out whats gone bad obviously its a cap or caps but which ones none of them are popped or showing signs of leaking any ideas

G

I've found it's the capacitors in the medium voltage range, typically around 16 volts. There aren't very many capacitors on the board and the board construction is usually pretty basic so removing and replacing caps isn't much of a chore -- and they cost very little.

unknown23c

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
ohh and i turned the brightness down on this monitor and its been working great untill i turn up the brightness if i turn it all the way down it stayes on for as long as im using it

G

Which suggests that either the cold cathode or inverter is failing or it's a problem with the power supply.

G

Flatscreen computer monitors of various brands are surprisingly similar inside -- perhaps not so surprising as so many use LCDs from a small range of suppliers like Sharp and Samsung.

UndefinedDecoder

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

I know this almost 2 years later but is there any way you could tell me the button combinations to turn down the brightness? I'm trying to do it blindly as the monitor won't stay on for more than 2 seconds. Thanks.