Win XP mistakenly thinks I have SCSI DVD/CD

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a Gigabyte MB (GA-7S748) that is not the RAID version. I have two
HDDs (master with C:, D:, E:, F: and slave with G:, H:, I:, J:). I have a CD
(W:) and DVD RW (X:). In Explore and Device Manager a SCSIVAX DVD/CD (K:)
has shown up that doesn't physically exist on my machine. Looking at the
Device Manager it says it is attached to a VAX3475 SCSI Controller, which I
don't know if I have on my MB as onboard but I certainly don't have a
controller card added. I updated some drivers recently but I don't think
there was anything about SCSI to the best of my knowledge. I uninstalled the
drivers for the Controller and it disappeared from the devices list along
with the DVD/CD, but with the next reboot they were back again. What's up
and how do I get the extra DVD/CD drive to go away? I am not booting from
any SCSI drive in my BIOS (floppy, CD, then HDD).

Jim

"Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Gigabyte MB (GA-7S748) that is not the RAID version. I have two
> HDDs (master with C:, D:, E:, F: and slave with G:, H:, I:, J:). I have a
> CD
> (W:) and DVD RW (X:). In Explore and Device Manager a SCSIVAX DVD/CD (K:)
> has shown up that doesn't physically exist on my machine. Looking at the
> Device Manager it says it is attached to a VAX3475 SCSI Controller, which
> don't know if I have on my MB as onboard but I certainly don't have a
> controller card added. I updated some drivers recently but I don't think
> there was anything about SCSI to the best of my knowledge. I uninstalled
> the
> drivers for the Controller and it disappeared from the devices list along
> with the DVD/CD, but with the next reboot they were back again. What's up
> and how do I get the extra DVD/CD drive to go away? I am not booting from
> any SCSI drive in my BIOS (floppy, CD, then HDD).
An Adaptec IDE controller that is connected via the PCI shows up as a SCSI
controller. That may be the reason for your device. Download Belarc to get
a better picture of your system.
Jim

Most IDE drivers will list out as SCSI, especially if it needs a special
driver during install.