My folder thumbnails keep getting muddled

I have most of our family's photos arranged in various folders on our PC. I
like to put a thumbnail on each folder, choosing a favourite pic from within
it, to remind me what's there. However, those thumbnail images keep jumbling
themselves up, sometimes when I add new folders or pictures, sometimes for no
obvious reason I can guess. The thumbnail that appears can be from a
completely unrelated folder (not even in the same hierarchy); but I'm pretty
sure all of them are thumbnails I've chosen for some folder or other, not
just random images appearing. Sometimes folders that I've never chosen a
thumbnail for acquire one!

I've dug into a few discussion threads on subjects like folder views
changing, and heard about the 'BagMRU'. I wondered if it might have got
corrupt. (I am running XP Home edition SP2, but may well have run out of
'Bags' before getting SP2.) So I tried the following from another discussion
thread.
===================
Subject: Re: Quicklaunch icons keep re-arranging... 3/5/2005 9:23 AM PST

By: David Candy In: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
----------------------------------
The store may be corrupt. Type regedit in Start Run and delete all these
keys. Then read the last section carefully (Apply to All).

Delete these keys or values from the registry. This will reset many things
like saved folder settings.
Type Regedit in Start - Run
Click Start - Turn Off Computer (or maybe Shutdown) - Ctrl + Alt + Shift +
click Cancel (or Close) (your Desktop and Start Menu now disappear). This is
a clean shutdown unlike using Task Manager.

In Regedit navigate to each of these keys and delete them
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and
delete the value
Shellstate

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState and delete the value
Settings

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamsMRU (may not exist)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
[the above one is what reset deletes, 90% of the time it is sufficient but
10% of the time the BagMRU needs to be deleted too. If you know what cross
linked files are the same thing is happening here - the BagMRU point to the
wrong Bag or serveral BagMRU point to the same bag]

Then in Task Manager, File - Run type explorer. (Start menu and Desktop come
back).

You then need to reconfigure explorer and the desktop.
==========================
That certainly wiped out all my thumbnails, but after an hour or so putting
thumbnails back on my photo album folders, they were getting mixed up again
(e.g. several folders with the same thumbnail from a completely unrelated
folder). Is there something else I need to clean it up? Was that totally
the wrong thing to try? Are there rules about what image you can assign to a
folder that I don't know about? Or is this just a bug? Or a "feature" ...?

Any ideas welcome!

Easiest way, find a picture in the folder you want to display as the thumbnail icon,
rename the picture to folder.jpg. Magically it will be the folder icon.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/