Another Bootleg of XP Pro

September 5, 2005 7:29:02 PM

A couple months ago, I had an upgrade done to my computer, and although I
have WinXP Home to include SP2, the vendor installed XP Pro instead. I can't
get back to the vendor, because they are on the other side of the State. I
had this done while I was working over there, which I am no longer doing. Now
I cannot get updates, and am wondering if it is possible to install XP Home
over the Pro version without any dire effects. Do I un-install the Pro
version and then install Home back on my system, or is it possible to just
install Home over the Pro?
Thank you for your time,
Kenneth Goings

More about : bootleg pro

September 5, 2005 7:38:28 PM

Bill wrote:

> A couple months ago, I had an upgrade done to my computer, and although I
> have WinXP Home to include SP2, the vendor installed XP Pro instead. I can't
> get back to the vendor, because they are on the other side of the State. I
> had this done while I was working over there, which I am no longer doing. Now
> I cannot get updates, and am wondering if it is possible to install XP Home
> over the Pro version without any dire effects. Do I un-install the Pro
> version and then install Home back on my system, or is it possible to just
> install Home over the Pro?
> Thank you for your time,
> Kenneth Goings

Unfortunately you can't "upgrade" Pro with Home. You'll need to do a
clean install of Home. Backup all important data first. Programs will
need to be reinstalled from the original media.

Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 2:42:23 AM

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A couple months ago, I had an upgrade done to my computer, and although I
> have WinXP Home to include SP2, the vendor installed XP Pro instead. I
> can't
> get back to the vendor, because they are on the other side of the State. I
> had this done while I was working over there, which I am no longer doing.
> Now
> I cannot get updates, and am wondering if it is possible to install XP
> over the Pro version without any dire effects. Do I un-install the Pro
> version and then install Home back on my system, or is it possible to just
> install Home over the Pro?
> Thank you for your time,
> Kenneth Goings

It is not possible to install Home over Pro. You could either
a) Dual boot with XP Home and Pro
b) Backup all of your personal data and reformat the drive and install XP
Home as a new/fresh install.
Related resources
September 6, 2005 2:42:24 AM

Thanks for the answers so far. I'm really dumb in regards to all this. By
personal data, does that mean everything on the drive that doesn't have
anything to do with Windows, other than my address book in OE, and my
document folders?

Thanks again,
Kenneth Goings

"Johnny Lingo" wrote:

> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A couple months ago, I had an upgrade done to my computer, and although I
> > have WinXP Home to include SP2, the vendor installed XP Pro instead. I
> > can't
> > get back to the vendor, because they are on the other side of the State. I
> > had this done while I was working over there, which I am no longer doing.
> > Now
> > I cannot get updates, and am wondering if it is possible to install XP
> > over the Pro version without any dire effects. Do I un-install the Pro
> > version and then install Home back on my system, or is it possible to just
> > install Home over the Pro?
> > Thank you for your time,
> > Kenneth Goings
> >

> It is not possible to install Home over Pro. You could either
> a) Dual boot with XP Home and Pro
> b) Backup all of your personal data and reformat the drive and install XP
> Home as a new/fresh install.

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 4:40:55 AM

Windows XP Home Edition upgrade over Windows XP Professional is not supported. If you want to install XP Home again, you must do a fresh install/parallel install (in another partition) so as to create a dual boot system.

--
Greetings,
Daniel Martín

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F35A862C-BED5-4BAE-9BF1-71E485151C1F@microsoft.com...
>A couple months ago, I had an upgrade done to my computer, and although I
> have WinXP Home to include SP2, the vendor installed XP Pro instead. I can't
> get back to the vendor, because they are on the other side of the State. I
> had this done while I was working over there, which I am no longer doing. Now
> I cannot get updates, and am wondering if it is possible to install XP Home
> over the Pro version without any dire effects. Do I un-install the Pro
> version and then install Home back on my system, or is it possible to just
> install Home over the Pro?
> Thank you for your time,
> Kenneth Goings

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 4:58:23 AM

If you are going to perform a clean install you need to save all your documents, e-mails, contacts and other personal stuff. And all your programs must be installed again once XP is installed.

--
Greetings,
Daniel Martín

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E08F30F-9A45-47B0-99BF-5399BCE4722C@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the answers so far. I'm really dumb in regards to all this. By
> personal data, does that mean everything on the drive that doesn't have
> anything to do with Windows, other than my address book in OE, and my
> document folders?
>
> Thanks again,
> Kenneth Goings
>

> "Johnny Lingo" wrote:
>

>> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >A couple months ago, I had an upgrade done to my computer, and although I
>> > have WinXP Home to include SP2, the vendor installed XP Pro instead. I
>> > can't
>> > get back to the vendor, because they are on the other side of the State. I
>> > had this done while I was working over there, which I am no longer doing.
>> > Now
>> > I cannot get updates, and am wondering if it is possible to install XP
>> > over the Pro version without any dire effects. Do I un-install the Pro
>> > version and then install Home back on my system, or is it possible to just
>> > install Home over the Pro?
>> > Thank you for your time,
>> > Kenneth Goings
>> >

>> It is not possible to install Home over Pro. You could either
>> a) Dual boot with XP Home and Pro
>> b) Backup all of your personal data and reformat the drive and install XP
>> Home as a new/fresh install.

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 4:58:24 AM

You should try Windows XP's native F.A.S.T. utility. It's designed expressly for
this purpose. See this link for a comprehensive discussion and how-to-use (even
as a backup):

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
http://winsupportcenter.com/win5/a/fast.htm

Here's the MSKB article on this subject:

HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118

It makes life a lot easier....

!