New mobo & stuff, old HDs not accessible

Originally I had 2 HDs the boot disk with C: D: E: F: (Partition Magic) and
GOBACK and the other I: that was plain vanilla. It was on a non-Raid SATA.
I changed everything, (Mobo proc Video card) and when I wanted to boot,
GOBACK finished, but Windows would just restart the rig instead of starting
itself. ASUS said I had to get a new HD and do a clean (WXP Pro) install, and
then I could copy over what I needed. I did that. Now BIOS, (or device
manager) does see the old drives (or the drive when I try them one by one)
but Windows (W Explorer) does not.
1./ I do not know why originally it would not boot;
2./ I do not know why it is not recognised by Windows. Neither one, not even
the one that was just for backup, and not partitioned.
Stuck with a paperwight. Thanks for your wisdom in anticipation.
1 answer Last reply
More about mobo stuff accessible

    Well, first off, you can't just change hardware, PARTICULARLY the
    motherboard, (unless replacing with exactly the same make and model), and
    expect your system to boot up ! During installation Windows heavily
    "tailors" itself to your hardware - change the motherboard and XP gets lost
    !

    You'll have to read up on "upgrading" your motherboard whilst retaining your
    current XP platform.

    If you've got your data backed up - best, and often quicker, to reinstall
    XP - in my view.

    regards, Richard

    "WhaddidIdo" <WhaddidIdo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Originally I had 2 HDs the boot disk with C: D: E: F: (Partition Magic)
    > and
    > GOBACK and the other I: that was plain vanilla. It was on a non-Raid SATA.
    > I changed everything, (Mobo proc Video card) and when I wanted to boot,
    > GOBACK finished, but Windows would just restart the rig instead of
    > starting
    > itself. ASUS said I had to get a new HD and do a clean (WXP Pro) install,
    > and
    > then I could copy over what I needed. I did that. Now BIOS, (or device
    > manager) does see the old drives (or the drive when I try them one by one)
    > but Windows (W Explorer) does not.
    > 1./ I do not know why originally it would not boot;
    > 2./ I do not know why it is not recognised by Windows. Neither one, not
    > even
    > the one that was just for backup, and not partitioned.
    > Stuck with a paperwight. Thanks for your wisdom in anticipation.

Windows XP