Sign in with
Your question

Heat problem?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 19, 2003 2:00:23 PM

I just built a new system, 3.2g p4, 1g of 800mhz memory, radeon 9800 video, pomax 500w power supply with a gigabyte 8knxp board. This is the first p4 system I've built but I have built several athlon systems with no problem.

I was loading linux but the keyboard kept freezing on restart forceing me to start over again. So I go into bios and watched the temp. It floats up to about 49c-50c. At this point some of the voltage readings start to fail for a second and then return to ok.

I boot on my memtest86 disk and let it run. No failures but after about 2 min. the processor heat alarm sounds. (Set on 60c. The lowest setting.)

So is all my problems just a processor overheating even the voltage problem? How hot should it run? How hot should it absolutely not run?

More about : heat problem

December 19, 2003 2:29:05 PM

I don't think so, 60C is kinda high, but should deffinitly not affect stability (some will say it may be bad in the long run). Stupid - but maybe it's something with the keyboard? Could be connected in the mouse port (had a friend that that caused him the weirdest things), or deffective.

I know what everyone's been wondering - 2^33634943-1 IS NOT PRIME. Now, wasn't that worth running <A HREF="http://www.mersenne.com" target="_new">Prime95</A> for a month to know?
December 19, 2003 2:36:55 PM

Quote:
voltage readings start to fail for a second and then return to ok.

That would suggest a failing power supply to me. cheaper generic models are frequently the problem with unstable pcs, as they often don't perform anywhere near their rated specs. Post back what the voltages say (12V, 5V, 3.3V) if any of them dip by more than 5% then it would be worth trying a new PSU. Good makes are Fortron Source(good value) and Enermax(more expensive).

60C is a fair ol' temperature for a P4 though.. but a P4 should <i>never</i> crash due the temperature of the CPU, as it will dynamically throttle it's speed down to cope with increased heat. although that doesn't start to happen until something like 72C anyway. If your case has very poor airflow, it could be allowing something else to overheat though.

All the same, it might be worth removing the HSF, cleaning the CPU and the HS and re-seating with some good thermal compound (e.g. Artic silver)

Leave memtest running for at least a couple of hours to rule the RAM out, but your PSU is still my first guess...

HTH

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 19, 2003 5:03:03 PM

Take the CPU out of the socket and gently but firmly put it back in and lock it down again. Voltage fluctuations could mean all the pins are not making proper contact.

And that also explains the heat fluctuations, failing that BUY 2 fans have one mounted to blow onto the CPU heatsink and one blowing heat out the back of the case.

Also check that you have the voltage Jumpers on the main board properly seated onto the backplane pins. Also make sure you don't have them set to test mode and the bios forced into a different voltage setting.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x
December 19, 2003 6:47:34 PM

Sounds Like a PSU problem. Pomax sounds like a slightly dodgy comapny to me, especially since its rated at 500 watts. Try a better PSU, possibly from Fortron.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2003 3:18:53 AM

Powmax is the absolute WORST power supply on the market. Have you ever looked inside one? I was so ASTOUNDED by the lack of adequate parts, I actually took a couple pictures of one disassembled. I also took a couple pictures of a high quality 145W unit to compare with. Would you believe the 145W unit had larger capacitors, and more of them, than a PowMax 400W?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 20, 2003 3:41:05 AM

get an Antec 430W truepower from newegg. They have the best quality/price psu.

I'm an AMD FANBOY. Intel folks, watch out!
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2003 6:14:53 AM

I can only argue with 2 of your points here:
1.) The Antec 430W is good for around 435W. The Fortron Source 400W is good for around 460W. The Fortron Source is a better quality PSU.
2.) The Fortron Source 400W power supply cost $58 at Newegg (last I checked), Fortron Source has the best price for the quality.

So except for those two things, I agree with you.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 20, 2003 7:26:09 AM

Realy....hmmm Never seen one of those power supplies.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x
December 20, 2003 11:25:01 AM

Ok, thanks all. Powmax sucks and a new power supply it is. I hate when I buy crap.

Also thermal grease can't hurt but my processor isn't about to melt. It seems a safer design than when I built my first athlon.
!