Athlon XP Barton vs. P4 HT 800FSB

igr11

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2003
Hello everyone.

I've decided to upgrade my 3-year-old overclocked Athlon 1.2 Thunderbird system. I've already upgraded most of the components here and there, except for the core. I want to upgrade my processor (with the fastest appropriate chipset and memory to match). I've been through countless benchmarks of various CPUs. I still can't decide between the Barton and P4 HT 800. I'm under the impression, that Barton 3000+ is approximately equivalent to P4 2.8 800/HT in real-world performance and price. On the other hand, Barton 2800+ seems to have the best price/performance ratio and overclockability. I consider myself a power user. I want my system HDTV-ready, DV-Editing ready and of course games (but that should be covered by my Radeon 9700 Pro).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Igor

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Read my system specs. To date I only use AMD because they are cheaper. Intel was the power chip as recorded history goes but the new AMD cpu's do such a fine job now that all the Bells whistles are falling off Intel like a rotting Christmas tree.

No need anymore to break the bank to get performance and in some cases Intel cant even offer that anymore.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Actually a 2.8c will perform similarly to a Barton 3200+, and it will be much faster in video encoding. If you are planning to overclock, then I think the 2.6c is the one that has the best price/performance ratio. With good memory you will be able to get 3.2GHz, when with a Barton CPU you will only manage 2.3GHz. A 2.3GHz Barton CPU should be about equal to a 3.0GHz Pentium 4 (and in fact slower) so there you have all the facts. If I would build a system today I would choose the 2.6c.

On the other hand, if you get the 2.6c and overclock it to 3.2GHz then there will be no more upgrades for your system in the future, except maybe a 3.4GHz Prescott. That's where the A64 (S754) comes into play. Right now an A64 3000+ is an excellent choice and most probably the end of the line for S754 A64s is the 3700+.

So there you have all the facts. Have fun deciding :p

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Heads up on sodnighthawk since you're new here. He is either incompetant or intentionally deceives people inexperienced people at any chance he gets and generally his advice should be taken with a grain of salt or at least a collaborating opinion. Just a warning incase he posts more of his typical crap here.

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/shadus.html" target="_new">Shadus</A>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Intel is sucking AMD's exhaust fumes right now pitsi, the Intel Hyper threading is a Total wash-out and they need to recall them like GM would if they got caught selling lemons.

AMD is going to have a second generation 64 Bit CPU out before Intel even gets the first RUSHED piece of crap out the front door.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
GeForce FX5900
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
SodNightHawk,

Remember what Zoron said about you I think it applies here as well!

SodNightHawk keep your fat ass shut... you're stinking up this forum.

"Nothing AMD OR Intel put out will ever match the thermal output of the hot air coming from your mouth."

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
If you plan on overclocking you probally want to go with the intel 2.6c, it has a good multiplier for overclocking well into the region above 250mhz fsb. A 2.6c without overclocking will best a 2800+ and end up about even with a 3000+. Overclocked a 2.6c will beat just about anything amd has EXCEPT the A64 chips... which are superior to the p4c chips.

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/shadus.html" target="_new">Shadus</A>

igr11

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2003
Thanks everyone for your opinions.

The reason I started this discussion is I believe that when it comes to crowning a CPU manufacturer, there is no clear winner. AMD was on top a year ago when Intel was desperately trying to catch up. But, at this point the situation is uncertain. Both Intel and AMD offer speed-enhancing technologies. I would like to understand the real-world benefits of various processors. Rather than favoring one CPU brand over another or criticizing "bells and whistles", let's look at the facts. Please feel free to correct me if you disagree:
Athlon Thoroughbread and Barton processors are mostly cheaper than Pentium 4's. However, AMD's performance ratings don't quite match Intel's GHz as far as performance is concerned. Athlon Barton 3000+ seems to be evidently slower than P4 3GHz. To complicate the issue, the Barton CPUs have a larger cache, but lower clock speeds than corresponding Thoroughbreads. Furthermore, many applications are optimized for SSE2 and HyperThreading.
Also, AMD64 platform is a bit uncertain. I think that 64-bit computing is a natural progression. However, it probably won't gain sufficient application support until 2005 when Longhorn will be launched. At that point, better/faster/cheaper 64-bit processors will be available. As much as I love innovative intelligently-designed products, I don't believe that moving to AMD64 is a viable option at this point, unless you have cash to burn.
With chipsets, the situation is easier. NForce 2 Ultra and 865PE seem to be on top as far as performance/price ratio goes.

My problem is two-fold:
1. Considering real-world (HDTV playback, DV-editing, PhotoShop, Internet, Office) performance, how do the new Bartons compare with the Thoroughbreads? In other words, practically speakig, if you have Athlon 2700+ (2.17GHz, 333FSB), are you willing to pay the $80 difference to upgrade to a Barton 3000+ (2.17GHz, 400FSB, 512KB cache), or is the 2700+ "fast-enough"?
2. How do the AMD Barton's features compare with Intel's 800FSB and HyperThreading? Is it worth spending the extra $90 to upgrade that same Athlon 2700+ (2.17GHz, 333FSB) to a P4 2.8GHz (HT, 800FSB)? Considering that Athlon 3000+ costs the same as P4 2.8GHz (800, HT), which would you choose?

Rather than quoting benchmarks, I would really like to hear from people who currently have Bartons and P4 HT in their systems, especially if they have recently upgraded. I want to know how fast an over-2.6GHz CPU is in the real world.

Thank you again for helping me fuel this discussion,
Igor

AMD_DA_BEST

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2003
sodnighthawk, you're the man. you are the ONLY one who's saying the right thing. go with 2500+ dude! SSE2 means nothing. Hyper Threading means nothing. get a Vantec Aeroflow and overclock that 2500+ to hell!! and for you dudes, stop lying plz. SSE2 only wins the SSE by few seconds. You DO have time for a few seconds of waiting. 10 seconds isn't that bad to wait. Oh and of course, more cache is better. haven't you guys heard of the "mhz myth"?
gosh....you guys are really dumb. more mhz doesn't really mean "efficiency". AMD ALL THE WAY!!! w00t!!!!!:D

I'm an AMD FANBOY. Intel folks, watch out!

You know, it's really sad when you have to create multiple accounts and post on them... just to make it look like someone is agreeing with you.

Sorry SoD, not falling for it.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

SoDNighthawk_

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2003
I 0wn3d 3 lame intel crap users today in bf1942 they were lagging so bad, that they couldnt kill me. one of them has a crap 3.2c, but i was the only one in the whole game who wasn't lagging LOL they all suck. shoulda got AMD. I currently am using a l33t, and excellently priced 3200+ barton (I had a 2500+ last week, and I don't remember what CPU I had before then. my barton 3200+ was CHPEAER than a 3.2C and it is l33t fast! the benchmarks are all wrong and every time i kill someone in a game it proves it, becauase all kills and deaths in a game depend on how fast your cpu is. next week i iwll get a afx53 and radeon fx 5950 Pro, nad I will be unbetable!

dont beileve thje lying intel-bought benchmarks and get a 3200+ barton and a radeon fx.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
GeForce FX5900
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
You're a f-ing idiot...none of that is at all truthful, especially not the last line.

dont beileve thje lying intel-bought benchmarks and get a 3200+ barton and a radeon fx.
First of all, Intel doesn't buy benchmarks. You can go buy a 3.2C system with otherwise equal specs to your Barton 3200+ system and your system will get raped. Tell the truth for once!!!

Second of all, why get a 3200+ Barton when the A64 is so good?? If you were such a big AMD fan, you would tell everybody to get 3200+ A64s and FXs, not shtty and overpriced Bartons.

Thirdly, what is a Radeon FX??

Fourthly, where do you plan on buying an FX-53??

Fifthly, where is this supposed Radeon FX 5950Pro?!?!?!?!?!?

Lastly,
becauase all kills and deaths in a game depend on how fast your cpu is
is simply not true.

I know you are a troll, but please make sense occasionally!! And use FACTS to say stuff, like Popey!!! (I can't believe I just said that)

Damn Rambus.

Unseen

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Here my suggestion, if you are low on cash get the barton 2500, it will things just fine. If you got extra $$ try the 2.4 ghz or 2.6 ghz 800 FSB intel p4. You could get the Athlon 64 3000 (NOT Athlon XP), it has very nice price for high end stuff :), if you want to stick with AMD that is :)

Unseen

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
I personally would love to get 2 248 opteron for $1000 each and put together a $8,000 comp! Now if just someone would be willing me to GIVE me that cash :)

SoDNighthawk_

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2003
i own a l33t computer shop so i oviously kno wmore than you. i sell only amds but i used to sell intels buyt they would melt if the heatsink fell of so i stopped selling them because they kept dying and starting fires in peoples comps. also their is a virus that can only be spread to intel cpus and it causes the hardrive to break because the needle crashes into the plate and it also maks the psu burn out everything because it turns on every transistor in the cpu. amd dont melt and they cant get that dangerous virus.

son, if you had more experience in the computer field then you would know intel always biys benchmakrs they always have its a massive governemet conspiracy and i know this because i used to work at some obscure electronic company thats also where i learned about the intel cpu virus.

someone did kill me in bf1942 tonight and when i asked what cpu he had he said it was a fx51. so there its proof that cpu. is all that matters ibn games whether you noob or expert you will die if you have a slower cpu than the person shooting you so if you dont have a athlon dont bother playin cause you ilwl suck. before my 2500 and thge cpu that i cant remember i had a athlon 400 mhx and i was owning stupid intel morons who had 3.4 ghz intels. amd shoudl of called the 800 a 3400+ cause it must be faster than thet 3.6 ghz intels that the people i killed had.

wtf how can you not know what a radeonfx is it is the best gpu. well actually the radeonfx 5950 Pro is the best, since some low-end radeonfx's suck. like the radeonfx9200ultra is very slow despite its bs dx9 claims and it can cause you to be killed by people with slower cpus. but even then only if they have an athlon if they have intel it doesnt matter what gpu you have you will own them. so talk to me when you have worked at an electronicsz company and have a computer store. i know more that you ever will i dont care if he buys intel tho its just 1 more person for me to own in bf1924.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
GeForce FX5900
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Agree.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
<i>Oh-my-god, who the hell let the dogs out while I was gone???</i>

Intel CPUs burning up and AMD CPUs not doing so?

A virus that can only be spread on brand-specific CPUs?

Intel buys all benchmarks? I have had no evidence of that at all, until now, and I don't like spontaneous, hell-bent paranoia.

If someone equipped with a superior CPU kills you in online games, how can you know if it wasn't a superior <i>gamer</i> that made the difference? I think that's far more likely. (unless you're running 500Mhz CPUs or something)

What's this guy talking about? 3.6Ghz P4s aren't out yet... ati doesn't use the "FX" name... or "ultra". there is no radeon <i>9</i>200 ultra. He obviously knows nothing about hardware.

This guy <i>has</i> to be joking...

Losing my faith in mankind,

:evil: <font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
I 0wn3d 3 lame intel crap users today in bf1942 they were lagging so bad, that they couldnt kill me. one of them has a crap 3.2c,

really? funny because i only have a 2000+ athlon, and a TI4200 and i get over 70fps MINIMUM with full detail @ 1024x768x32

i dont believe a word you saying frankly. dont you think that your video card has is a slight factor? they must have been using integrated video, if they coudlnt run BF1942 on a freaking P.4 3.2C at playable framerates..

i hope to god when you say "lag" you arent talking about ping times... im not even going to explain to you what it means if you dont know. if your ping is bad, it doesnt matter if your playing on the fastest computer in the world

i own a l33t computer shop so i oviously kno wmore than you.

the fact that you own a computer shop means nothing. anyone can register a business and get access to distributors. i used to build computers and repair them for a small retail store.. and the owners were idiots. they would sell Celerons because they had "Intel" in their names when they could have sold thier customers faster systems for less money

you come off as some 15 year old kid man. if your really selling computers, i honestly feel bad for your customers

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
dhlucke - "Phew...ok my wrists are hurting. I'm taking a break."

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I think he is going to claim next that he invented the PC.

That post of his proves that he, as you said, obviously knows nothing about hardware.

Damn Rambus.

br408408

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
Quote from SoDNighthawk "and it causes the hardrive to break because the needle crashes into the plate". The NEEDLE crashing into the plate...lol...this guy is a troll or knows nothing about computers...or wait...maybe because he owns a computer shop, he has access to some new hard drive that uses a needle, based on 50 year old phonographic record technology. Must be a carry over from the small "Back to Vinyl" movement in the audio world. Sadly the rest of us are stuck using HD's that use heads and platters.