Want to Install W2K XP into a Separate Partition

I've got a Dell 8200 W2K Pro. Using partition magic I created a boot magic
partiton and ntfs partition for W2K Pro XP.
The W2K Pro XP CDs came from Dell. Before replacing W2K Pro w/ XP I want to
install XP into a separate partition,
but whrn I boot to the xp partition w/ the xp upgrade cd it won't boot and
load xp. How can I install xp w/o
first installing w2k pro then upgrading to xp pro?

Thanks,

Mike
25 answers Last reply
More about want install separate partition

    "Mike" wrote:
    > I've got a Dell 8200 W2K Pro. Using partition magic I created
    > a boot magic partiton and ntfs partition for W2K Pro XP.
    > The W2K Pro XP CDs came from Dell.

    What is a W2K Pro XP?

    *TimDaniels*

    Any suggestions for which drivers I should upgrade?
    I know I'm going to need to upgrade the TB Santa Cruz driver.

    Mike

    "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a Dell 8200 W2K Pro. Using partition magic I created a boot
    magic
    > partiton and ntfs partition for W2K Pro XP.
    > The W2K Pro XP CDs came from Dell. Before replacing W2K Pro w/ XP I want
    > install XP into a separate partition,
    > but whrn I boot to the xp partition w/ the xp upgrade cd it won't boot and
    > load xp. How can I install xp w/o
    > first installing w2k pro then upgrading to xp pro?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    XP PRO.

    Mike

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
    > "Mike" wrote:
    > > I've got a Dell 8200 W2K Pro. Using partition magic I created
    > > a boot magic partiton and ntfs partition for W2K Pro XP.
    > > The W2K Pro XP CDs came from Dell.
    >
    > What is a W2K Pro XP?
    >

    > *TimDaniels*

    You'll get the most knowledgeable answers at
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment.
    Tell 'em you have Win2K installed in the primary
    partition, and having created a secondary partition
    with Partition Magic, how can you install WinXP
    Pro in it, and would using Boot Magic be a help.
    Be aware, though, that if cloning your Win2K
    to another partition first is the simplest solution,
    you may not hear about it in a newsgroup
    dominated by Microsoft volunteers.
    For questions that may involve cloning an entire
    partition, including the operating system and
    application files, try
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

    *TimDaniels*

    I assume your new partition is NTFS, at least 3 GB and is empty. With
    Partition Magic make it active (Advanced, Set active). Boot to the WinXP CD
    and the new partition will be the install partition. When you are finished
    you can add a boot manager.

    Brian

    "Brian K" wrote:
    > I assume your new partition is NTFS, at least 3 GB and is empty. With
    > Partition Magic make it active (Advanced, Set active). Boot to the WinXP CD
    > and the new partition will be the install partition. When you are finished
    > you can add a boot manager.

    If Win2K is like WinXP, a partition can be set to Active by
    right-clicking My Computer, select Manage, select Disk Management,
    right-click the desired partition, select Mark Partition as Active.

    Too bad WinXP is not the 1st o.s. to be installed. If it had been,
    you could use its built-in boot manager.

    *TimDaniels*

    Tim, I have two WinXP partitions and one Win98. I tried your suggestion and
    "Mark Partition as Active" is greyed out for all 3 partitions. The Win98 and
    other WinXP partition are called Unknown Partitions. I assume because they
    were created by Partition Magic.

    Brian

    > "Brian K" wrote:
    > > I assume your new partition is NTFS, at least 3 GB and is empty. With
    > > Partition Magic make it active (Advanced, Set active). Boot to the WinXP
    CD
    > > and the new partition will be the install partition. When you are
    finished
    > > you can add a boot manager.
    >

    > If Win2K is like WinXP, a partition can be set to Active by
    > right-clicking My Computer, select Manage, select Disk Management,
    > right-click the desired partition, select Mark Partition as Active.
    >
    > Too bad WinXP is not the 1st o.s. to be installed. If it had been,
    > you could use its built-in boot manager.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Is the Dell XP Pro CD bootable?

    Mike
    '
    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
    > "Brian K" wrote:
    > > I assume your new partition is NTFS, at least 3 GB and is empty. With
    > > Partition Magic make it active (Advanced, Set active). Boot to the WinXP
    CD
    > > and the new partition will be the install partition. When you are
    finished
    > > you can add a boot manager.
    >

    > If Win2K is like WinXP, a partition can be set to Active by
    > right-clicking My Computer, select Manage, select Disk Management,
    > right-click the desired partition, select Mark Partition as Active.
    >
    > Too bad WinXP is not the 1st o.s. to be installed. If it had been,
    > you could use its built-in boot manager.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    xp partition: e:\ntfs 10GB.
    Is the Dell XP PRo upgrade cd bootable?

    I'll try it and find out.

    Mike

    "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I assume your new partition is NTFS, at least 3 GB and is empty. With
    > Partition Magic make it active (Advanced, Set active). Boot to the WinXP
    CD
    > and the new partition will be the install partition. When you are finished
    > you can add a boot manager.
    >
    > Brian
    >

    > "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I've got a Dell 8200 W2K Pro. Using partition magic I created a boot
    > magic
    > > partiton and ntfs partition for W2K Pro XP.
    > > The W2K Pro XP CDs came from Dell. Before replacing W2K Pro w/ XP I
    want
    > > install XP into a separate partition,
    > > but whrn I boot to the xp partition w/ the xp upgrade cd it won't boot
    and
    > > load xp. How can I install xp w/o
    > > first installing w2k pro then upgrading to xp pro?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Mike

    Thanks, I posted question in the .windowsxp.setup_deployment newsgroup.
    If the Dell XP Pro upgrade cd isn't bootable I'll install w2k pro then
    upgrade.

    > You'll get the most knowledgeable answers at
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment.
    > Tell 'em you have Win2K installed in the primary
    > partition, and having created a secondary partition
    > with Partition Magic, how can you install WinXP
    > Pro in it, and would using Boot Magic be a help.
    > Be aware, though, that if cloning your Win2K
    > to another partition first is the simplest solution,
    > you may not hear about it in a newsgroup
    > dominated by Microsoft volunteers.
    > For questions that may involve cloning an entire
    > partition, including the operating system and
    > application files, try
    > comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Your partition should be a primary (hidden) partition and at this stage
    shouldn't have a drive letter. Looks like yours is a logical partition. I'd
    delete it and create a primary partition. I realise it can be done your way
    but I've always installed into a primary partition and had no problems.

    A logical partition can't be set active.

    Brian

    > xp partition: e:\ntfs 10GB.
    > Is the Dell XP PRo upgrade cd bootable?
    >
    > I'll try it and find out.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I assume your new partition is NTFS, at least 3 GB and is empty. With
    > > Partition Magic make it active (Advanced, Set active). Boot to the WinXP
    > CD
    > > and the new partition will be the install partition. When you are
    finished
    > > you can add a boot manager.
    > >
    > > Brian
    > >

    > > "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > I've got a Dell 8200 W2K Pro. Using partition magic I created a boot
    > > magic
    > > > partiton and ntfs partition for W2K Pro XP.
    > > > The W2K Pro XP CDs came from Dell. Before replacing W2K Pro w/ XP I
    > want
    > > > install XP into a separate partition,
    > > > but whrn I boot to the xp partition w/ the xp upgrade cd it won't boot
    > and
    > > > load xp. How can I install xp w/o
    > > > first installing w2k pro then upgrading to xp pro?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Mike

    Set hidden xp primary partition to active, rebooted to cd-rom, loaded xp and
    all is well.

    thanks all,

    > Your partition should be a primary (hidden) partition and at this stage
    > shouldn't have a drive letter. Looks like yours is a logical partition.
    I'd
    > delete it and create a primary partition. I realise it can be done your
    way
    > but I've always installed into a primary partition and had no problems.
    >
    > A logical partition can't be set active.
    >
    > Brian
    >

    > "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > xp partition: e:\ntfs 10GB.
    > > Is the Dell XP PRo upgrade cd bootable?
    > >
    > > I'll try it and find out.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I assume your new partition is NTFS, at least 3 GB and is empty. With
    > > > Partition Magic make it active (Advanced, Set active). Boot to the
    WinXP
    > > CD
    > > > and the new partition will be the install partition. When you are
    > finished
    > > > you can add a boot manager.
    > > >
    > > > Brian
    > > >

    > > > "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > magic
    > > want
    > > and

    Install Boot Magic now and you are almost there.

    Brian

    > Set hidden xp primary partition to active, rebooted to cd-rom, loaded xp
    and
    > all is well.
    >
    > thanks all,
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Your partition should be a primary (hidden) partition and at this stage
    > > shouldn't have a drive letter. Looks like yours is a logical partition.
    > I'd
    > > delete it and create a primary partition. I realise it can be done your
    > way
    > > but I've always installed into a primary partition and had no problems.
    > >
    > > A logical partition can't be set active.
    > >
    > > Brian
    > >

    > > "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > xp partition: e:\ntfs 10GB.
    > > > Is the Dell XP PRo upgrade cd bootable?
    > > >
    > > > I'll try it and find out.
    > > >
    > > > Mike
    > > >
    > > > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    With
    > WinXP
    > > > CD
    > > finished

    > boot
    > > > want
    > boot
    > > > and

    C: FAT32 W2K PRO, D: FAT BOOTMAGIC, E: NTFS XP PRO, F: NTFS DATA, G: NTFS
    DATA.

    After spending the evening in XP then rebooting to W2K I noticed my drive
    letters got scrambled.
    Have to figure that out.

    "Mike" wrote:
    > C: FAT32 W2K PRO, D: FAT BOOTMAGIC,
    > E: NTFS XP PRO, F: NTFS DATA, G: NTFS DATA.
    >
    > After spending the evening in XP then rebooting to W2K
    > I noticed my drive letters got scrambled.
    > Have to figure that out.

    The OS assigns the letters when it boots up. They aren't
    permanently coded to a specific physical location. When
    an OS on a different partition boots up, it views the "drives"
    (partitions) in a different sequence and assigns the drive letters
    accordingly.

    *TimDaniels*

    With XP, you can 'tell' it what letters you want and it will remember (in
    Computer Management). I believe Windows 2000 worked the same.

    Tom

    "Tom Scales" wrote:
    > With XP, you can 'tell' it what letters you want and it will
    > remember (in Computer Management).

    I suspect you mean:
    double-click My Computer,
    select Manage, (which gets the Computer Management dialog box)
    select Disk Management,
    right-click the partition,
    select Change Drive Letter and Paths...

    Thanks. I didn't know what that did.

    *TimDaniels*

    Strange. If you installed WinXP into the active primary partition (which was
    previously hidden) then it should be a C: drive when in use, and be hidden
    and have no drive letter when you are in Win 2K. Is E: drive a logical
    partition?

    Brian

    > C: FAT32 W2K PRO, D: FAT BOOTMAGIC, E: NTFS XP PRO, F: NTFS DATA, G: NTFS
    > DATA.
    >
    > After spending the evening in XP then rebooting to W2K I noticed my drive
    > letters got scrambled.
    > Have to figure that out.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Install Boot Magic now and you are almost there.
    > >
    > > Brian
    > >

    > > "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Set hidden xp primary partition to active, rebooted to cd-rom, loaded
    xp
    > > and
    > > > all is well.
    > > >
    > > > thanks all,
    > > >
    > > > Mike
    > > >
    > > > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > stage
    > partition.
    > > > I'd
    > your
    > > > way
    > problems.

    > > With
    > > > WinXP

    > > > boot
    > XP
    > won't
    > > > boot

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:22:55 GMT
    in message <3darc.6886$dq4.4671@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>
    "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I've got a Dell 8200 W2K Pro. Using partition magic I created a boot magic
    >partiton and ntfs partition for W2K Pro XP.
    >The W2K Pro XP CDs came from Dell. Before replacing W2K Pro w/ XP I want to
    >install XP into a separate partition,
    >but whrn I boot to the xp partition w/ the xp upgrade cd it won't boot and
    >load xp. How can I install xp w/o
    >first installing w2k pro then upgrading to xp pro?

    Hi Mike

    In another group alt.windows-me A writer, Mark Lloyd, wrote the
    following that I thought may apply to your situation:

    Subject: Re: how to migrate to Win 2000 professional?

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 21:02:12 +0200, "boggle" <boggle@boggle.com>
    wrote:

    >I have Win ME but wish to try 2000 Pro.
    >
    >I do not wish to format my hard disc as there is too much stuff on it to
    >reinstall.
    >
    >Is there a way of installing 2000 Pro over ME?

    DO NOT DO THIS. As I've explained several times before, you don't want
    this mixture of systems.

    If you don't format, just run the W2000 instllation, you get a choice
    of an upgrade (DON'T) or clean install. If you select clean install
    you will have both systems available, with a boot menu. This seems to
    work OK, and you can boot to either system.

    --
    Mark Lloyd
    http://go.to/notstupid

    That's one way to get to it. Another is Settings, Control Panel,
    Administrative tools, Computer Management.

    > "Tom Scales" wrote:
    > > With XP, you can 'tell' it what letters you want and it will
    > > remember (in Computer Management).
    >

    > I suspect you mean:
    > double-click My Computer,
    > select Manage, (which gets the Computer Management dialog box)
    > select Disk Management,
    > right-click the partition,
    > select Change Drive Letter and Paths...
    >
    > Thanks. I didn't know what that did.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    Part of the reason drive letters got scrambled is because cd-rom was "P" and
    zip driver was "O" in the w2k system.
    xp label all drive and partitions in sequence. just need to rename them.

    in w2k "D" partition bootmagic fat is no longer labeled anything.

    Mike

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message

    > "Mike" wrote:
    > > C: FAT32 W2K PRO, D: FAT BOOTMAGIC,
    > > E: NTFS XP PRO, F: NTFS DATA, G: NTFS DATA.
    > >
    > > After spending the evening in XP then rebooting to W2K
    > > I noticed my drive letters got scrambled.
    > > Have to figure that out.
    >

    > The OS assigns the letters when it boots up. They aren't
    > permanently coded to a specific physical location. When
    > an OS on a different partition boots up, it views the "drives"
    > (partitions) in a different sequence and assigns the drive letters
    > accordingly.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    primary patition E: XP becomes C: when I boot to.
    When I boot to C:\W2K partition, E: XP becomes hidden.

    > Strange. If you installed WinXP into the active primary partition (which
    was
    > previously hidden) then it should be a C: drive when in use, and be hidden
    > and have no drive letter when you are in Win 2K. Is E: drive a logical
    > partition?
    >

    > Brian
    >

    > "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > C: FAT32 W2K PRO, D: FAT BOOTMAGIC, E: NTFS XP PRO, F: NTFS DATA, G:
    NTFS
    > > DATA.
    > >
    > > After spending the evening in XP then rebooting to W2K I noticed my
    drive
    > > letters got scrambled.
    > > Have to figure that out.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Install Boot Magic now and you are almost there.
    > > >
    > > > Brian
    > > >

    > > > "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > xp
    > > > and

    > > stage
    > > partition.
    > > your
    > > problems.

    > > > With
    > the
    > are

    > w/
    > > XP
    > > won't

    Hi Ray, at this point I've decided to do any with the W2k partition.
    I loaded XP w/ all security updates and patches. Can't find a reason
    tom keep W2K anymore3.

    Mike

    > Hi Ray, at this point I've decided to do any with the W2k partition.
    > I loaded XP w/ all security updates and patches. Can't find a reason
    > tom keep W2K anymore3.
    >
    > Mike

    <snip>

    You can dry a load of clothes while Win2K boots to desktop. There's a
    reason.....

    Stew

    I'm still confused Mike. Where or when do you see a drive labelled E:\

    Brian

    > primary patition E: XP becomes C: when I boot to.
    > When I boot to C:\W2K partition, E: XP becomes hidden.
    >
    > Mike

Dell Partition Boot Windows XP Computers