I read through most of the other posts, but coundn't find the answer.

Just bought a new computer which uses XP. My old computer uses XP as well,
although I believe its a different version. I went to a computer store, and
they told me I could use a RJ45 cable (looks like an ethernet cable to me) to
transfer my files and settings.

I used the wizard, but it doesn't work. Keeps asking for serial cables and
such. I tried using the network wizard to connect the two, but that didn't
work either.

Can someone please help me??

Thanks for everyones help with the cable issue. I have learned about cables
and that all makes sense.

However, I still can't get the transfer wizard, or the networking wizard to
work. The 2 computers never recognize each other. I know this should be
easier than it is, and I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. But I've followed
those wizard instructions perfectly.

Should I just be focusing on the networking wizard to transfer?

"yellowesc6" wrote:

> I read through most of the other posts, but coundn't find the answer.
>
> Just bought a new computer which uses XP. My old computer uses XP as well,
> although I believe its a different version. I went to a computer store, and
> they told me I could use a RJ45 cable (looks like an ethernet cable to me) to
> transfer my files and settings.
>
> I used the wizard, but it doesn't work. Keeps asking for serial cables and
> such. I tried using the network wizard to connect the two, but that didn't
> work either.
>
> Can someone please help me??

br549

"yellowesc6" <yellowesc6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I read through most of the other posts, but coundn't find the answer.
>
> Just bought a new computer which uses XP. My old computer uses XP as well,
> although I believe its a different version. I went to a computer store,
> and
> they told me I could use a RJ45 cable (looks like an ethernet cable to me)
> transfer my files and settings.
>
> I used the wizard, but it doesn't work. Keeps asking for serial cables and
> such. I tried using the network wizard to connect the two, but that didn't
> work either.
>
> Can someone please help me??

Is the cable you got a crossover cable, if it's not, it won't work. To tell
what one should look like hold the 2 RJ45 connectors next to one another and
if they look like they are wired exactly the same, then it's not a crossover
cable.

I looked at the cable, and you're correct. They look exactly the same. Guess
its back to the store for another cable.

Thank you for your help!

"BR549" wrote:

> "yellowesc6" <yellowesc6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I read through most of the other posts, but coundn't find the answer.
> >
> > Just bought a new computer which uses XP. My old computer uses XP as well,
> > although I believe its a different version. I went to a computer store,
> > and
> > they told me I could use a RJ45 cable (looks like an ethernet cable to me)
> > transfer my files and settings.
> >
> > I used the wizard, but it doesn't work. Keeps asking for serial cables and
> > such. I tried using the network wizard to connect the two, but that didn't
> > work either.
> >
> > Can someone please help me??
>
> Is the cable you got a crossover cable, if it's not, it won't work. To tell
> what one should look like hold the 2 RJ45 connectors next to one another and
> if they look like they are wired exactly the same, then it's not a crossover
> cable.

One more question...so I apologize for this. I thought I understood and I
don't.

I'm not sure what wired the same means? When I look at the wires inside
them, it appears the colors of the wires in the 2 ends go to different places
in each. Does that mean they are wired differently?

"BR549" wrote:

> "yellowesc6" <yellowesc6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I read through most of the other posts, but coundn't find the answer.
> >
> > Just bought a new computer which uses XP. My old computer uses XP as well,
> > although I believe its a different version. I went to a computer store,
> > and
> > they told me I could use a RJ45 cable (looks like an ethernet cable to me)
> > transfer my files and settings.
> >
> > I used the wizard, but it doesn't work. Keeps asking for serial cables and
> > such. I tried using the network wizard to connect the two, but that didn't
> > work either.
> >
> > Can someone please help me??
>
> Is the cable you got a crossover cable, if it's not, it won't work. To tell
> what one should look like hold the 2 RJ45 connectors next to one another and
> if they look like they are wired exactly the same, then it's not a crossover
> cable.

Usually a crossover cable is labeled as such, because it can't be used in a
LAN under normal circumstances. Read the cable markings. It should tell you.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

> One more question...so I apologize for this. I thought I understood and I
> don't.
>
> I'm not sure what wired the same means? When I look at the wires inside
> them, it appears the colors of the wires in the 2 ends go to different
> places
> in each. Does that mean they are wired differently?
>
> "BR549" wrote:
>
>> "yellowesc6" <yellowesc6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I read through most of the other posts, but coundn't find the answer.
>> >
>> > Just bought a new computer which uses XP. My old computer uses XP as
>> > well,
>> > although I believe its a different version. I went to a computer store,
>> > and
>> > they told me I could use a RJ45 cable (looks like an ethernet cable to
>> > me)
>> > transfer my files and settings.
>> >
>> > I used the wizard, but it doesn't work. Keeps asking for serial cables
>> > and
>> > such. I tried using the network wizard to connect the two, but that
>> > didn't
>> > work either.
>> >
>> > Can someone please help me??
>>
>> Is the cable you got a crossover cable, if it's not, it won't work. To
>> tell
>> what one should look like hold the 2 RJ45 connectors next to one another
>> and
>> if they look like they are wired exactly the same, then it's not a
>> crossover
>> cable.

Malke

yellowesc6 wrote:

> One more question...so I apologize for this. I thought I understood
> and I don't.
>
> I'm not sure what wired the same means? When I look at the wires
> inside them, it appears the colors of the wires in the 2 ends go to
> different places in each. Does that mean they are wired differently?

Hold both connectors up, side by side. Make sure they are both facing up
(or down) the same. I think it is easier to look at the bottom sides,
the side without the little clamp thingy (tech term ;-) ). You'll see
these wires: red/white, red, green/white, green/white, green, blue,
orange/white, orange. If both ends, held the same way, show the same
colors of wires in the same order, then you have straight-through cat5e
cable. You use this to connect to a router, hub, or switch. If you are
trying to connect two computers directly to each other, you need
cross-over cat5e cable and the colored wires will be in a different
order on each end.

HTH,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

The cable is labeled CAT 6 Crossover.

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> Usually a crossover cable is labeled as such, because it can't be used in a
> LAN under normal circumstances. Read the cable markings. It should tell you.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "yellowesc6" <yellowesc6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > One more question...so I apologize for this. I thought I understood and I
> > don't.
> >
> > I'm not sure what wired the same means? When I look at the wires inside
> > them, it appears the colors of the wires in the 2 ends go to different
> > places
> > in each. Does that mean they are wired differently?
> >
> > "BR549" wrote:
> >
> >> "yellowesc6" <yellowesc6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Is the cable you got a crossover cable, if it's not, it won't work. To
> >> tell
> >> what one should look like hold the 2 RJ45 connectors next to one another
> >> and
> >> if they look like they are wired exactly the same, then it's not a
> >> crossover
> >> cable.

Then you're good to go.

--

> The cable is labeled CAT 6 Crossover.
>

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Usually a crossover cable is labeled as such, because it can't be used in
>> LAN under normal circumstances. Read the cable markings. It should tell
>> you.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "yellowesc6" <yellowesc6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > One more question...so I apologize for this. I thought I understood and
>> > don't.
>> >
>> > I'm not sure what wired the same means? When I look at the wires inside
>> > them, it appears the colors of the wires in the 2 ends go to different
>> > places
>> > in each. Does that mean they are wired differently?

Crossover cable looks like this:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/135/bbsm_lvl2spprt3.gif

"yellowesc6" <yellowesc6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> One more question...so I apologize for this. I thought I understood and I
> don't.
>
> I'm not sure what wired the same means? When I look at the wires inside
> them, it appears the colors of the wires in the 2 ends go to different
> places
> in each. Does that mean they are wired differently?
>
> "BR549" wrote:
>
>> "yellowesc6" <yellowesc6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I read through most of the other posts, but coundn't find the answer.
>> >
>> > Just bought a new computer which uses XP. My old computer uses XP as
>> > well,
>> > although I believe its a different version. I went to a computer store,
>> > and
>> > they told me I could use a RJ45 cable (looks like an ethernet cable to
>> > me)
>> > transfer my files and settings.
>> >
>> > I used the wizard, but it doesn't work. Keeps asking for serial cables
>> > and
>> > such. I tried using the network wizard to connect the two, but that
>> > didn't
>> > work either.
>> >
>> > Can someone please help me??
>>
>> Is the cable you got a crossover cable, if it's not, it won't work. To
>> tell
>> what one should look like hold the 2 RJ45 connectors next to one another
>> and
>> if they look like they are wired exactly the same, then it's not a
>> crossover
>> cable.

Regular cat5 network cable will have the same wiring on both ends

"Johnny Lingo" <johnnylingo@spammenot.com> wrote in message
> Crossover cable looks like this:
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/135/bbsm_lvl2spprt3.gif
>

> "yellowesc6" <yellowesc6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> One more question...so I apologize for this. I thought I understood and I
>> don't.
>>
>> I'm not sure what wired the same means? When I look at the wires inside
>> them, it appears the colors of the wires in the 2 ends go to different
>> places
>> in each. Does that mean they are wired differently?
>>
>> "BR549" wrote:
>>
>>> "yellowesc6" <yellowesc6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Is the cable you got a crossover cable, if it's not, it won't work. To
>>> tell
>>> what one should look like hold the 2 RJ45 connectors next to one another
>>> and
>>> if they look like they are wired exactly the same, then it's not a
>>> crossover
>>> cable.

JustMe

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2003

> Thanks for everyones help with the cable issue. I have learned about
> cables
> and that all makes sense.
>
> However, I still can't get the transfer wizard, or the networking wizard
> work. The 2 computers never recognize each other. I know this should be
> easier than it is, and I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. But I've
> followed
> those wizard instructions perfectly.
>
> Should I just be focusing on the networking wizard to transfer?
>
> "yellowesc6" wrote:
>
>> I read through most of the other posts, but coundn't find the answer.
>>
>> Just bought a new computer which uses XP. My old computer uses XP as
>> well,
>> although I believe its a different version. I went to a computer store,
>> and
>> they told me I could use a RJ45 cable (looks like an ethernet cable to
>> me) to
>> transfer my files and settings.
>>
>> I used the wizard, but it doesn't work. Keeps asking for serial cables
>> and
>> such. I tried using the network wizard to connect the two, but that
>> didn't
>> work either.
>>
>> Can someone please help me??

As you appear to have the correct cable, make sure both pc's are in the same
workgroup.