Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

llooking to upgrade, should i.....

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • RAM
Last response: in CPUs
December 20, 2003 12:46:26 AM

I like the pricing on the athlon64 3000, but looking at it and the fx I'm worried about the different sockets they're using. I'm upgrading mobo/cpu/ram and would like to get a mobo that i'll be able to upgrade my CPU in 10-12 months without having to upgrade my mobo when prices on 1mb L2 cache come down a lil. So what are the arguements for and against the socket 754?

Also, Any recommendations on mobo/ram/ or other choices of CPU would be welcome too :) 

More about : llooking upgrade

December 21, 2003 12:58:44 AM

From what I've heard, AMD is going to release FX CPU's for Socker 940 through the entire 2004, don't know about afterwards though. Not sure about how long Socket 754 will last either, but my guess is it's gonna last through 2004 as well.

DDR2 is coming soon for the normal Socket 754, and the A64 FX CPU's will soon come for Socket 939, if you wanna be assured you can use the same motherboard for another year you might be better off waiting for a while.

Should you still decide you do want to upgrade now, I'd strongly recommend the MSI K8T Neo motherboard for the regular A64. If you choose to go for the FX-51, then any of ASUS offerings would be best, me thinks.

If you're thinking of the Intel option as well, the 2.6, 2.8 and 3.0 "C" processors are very good and cheap options, combine it with an ASUS P4P800 or P4C800, or alternatively the MSI 865P Neo2 board.

As for memory, TwinMOS makes cheap, fast and stable memory.
If it's not available where you live, maybe Crucial would be a good idea, despite their CAS3 setting, those memory modules still perform very well, while being ultra-stable.

My system: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / MSI K8T Neo FIS2R / ASUS Radeon 9800XT / Antec TruePower 550W / Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 120 Gb / Pioneer DVR-A06
December 21, 2003 3:43:56 AM

Ok, I think I've decided to go a cheaper route for now and let the 64bit thing shake itself out. Although I really like the performance/dollar the A64 3000 is getting in 32bit tests. I generally use my system for gaming, and I'm thinkin of going with the 2800 barton.

Now, From reading through here every seems to respect crash's opinions. So, I'm thinking of a mobo with SiS chipset. The asrock K7S8XE. My only concern is there is no Dual Channel RAM support. With a barton 2800, this mobo and a ti4200 64MB should I really be concerned about getting a mobo that supports dual channel ram for better performance? Or will this mobo and ddr400 work fine? I'm only upgrading from a 2yr old thunderbird 1.2ghz and SDram :)  I'm not looking to go top resolution and all the pretty graphics on games I play. Just want mid range res, settings and good frame rates. Although, my summer upgrade will probably be a vid card. So, would that be a consideration I would need to take in account for this decision?

(I'm really likin that A64 3000 for price/performance ratio though and will probaly flip flop on spending more money to get it...decisions decisions)
Related resources
December 21, 2003 8:12:23 AM

SiS chipsets are fine, but nForce and Via are just as good if you ask me.

You will definitely get a good gain from Dual channel memory support. Seems strange that an AMD Athlon XP motherboard wouldn't support it. If I were you, I'd at least go with a quality board like the ASUS A7N8X-X.
It's not gonna be much more expensive.

That Ti4200 board, is that a graphics card that you already have or are planning to buy?
I assume it's your current card, and if it is, and you're planning a new video card, right now, my recommendation would be an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro or 9600 XT, with either 128 or 256 mb.

The Athlon XP is another fine processor, but the new Athlon 64 has built-in thermal protection amongst other things, making it a better processor technically. Such a system should set you off paying for about $150 more than the Athlpn XP system you mentioned.

My system: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / MSI K8T Neo FIS2R / ASUS Radeon 9800XT / Antec TruePower 550W / Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 120 Gb / Pioneer DVR-A06
December 27, 2003 12:35:08 PM

Against the socket754:o nly marginally overclockable;will be supported for only the next six months;will not have the power to really work in 64 bits;expensive;the ram is throwaway ram unless you've already got it;in only six months Amd's real transitional socket for 64 bits the 949 will be here and using non-ecc duel channel ram;most likely the better P5 with ddr2 ram and pci-express will also be out too;but if you go for an Amd 64 get the 3200+ or wait a little and get the 3400+-if you're going to keep this system for use as a 64bit system divide the existing cache by 2 for its real performance.A amd64 3000+ will perform like a bad celeron in 64 bits making the 3200+ a better deal,even though in 32bits they're almost neck and neck.The smart thing to do is to wait a year to a year and a half and then build with:real 64bit systems;pci express;ddr2 and likely four sata hard drives supported on mobos and the new form factor in cases-even if you just want the 32 bit systems wait and buy them as budget prices.
If you need to upgrade now;but want one of those amds64 do this:buy a msi kt6 delta-lsr;one stick of kingston kvr400x64c25/512 and a barton 2500.The msi mobo is inferior;but the kingston ram it supports is also on the recommended list for the msi 64 mobo for the 3200+,while if the 949 is reasonably priced you've avoided doing an expensive upgrade twice and the throw away parts are only:mobo $71;ram $91-115;and cpu $90=$276.If you upgrade to the amd64 3200+ the throwaway parts are only $161 and its likely the 3200= will be at most $200-if even that in 6 months.The msi kt6 delta-lsr has no holes for a better Hsf than the retail one;but even the retail one should allow you to overclock a 2500+barton into a 3200+barton