Need help with basic batch file

I am trying to write a batch file that will open 3 programs on my hard
drive.
I am running Win XP home. Here's the batch file

::start.bat
::starts multiple programs
::
@echo off

"C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
"C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
"C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"

what happens is that it will load the first program but will not load the
second one until the first one is closed. When I close the second program
the 3rd program will then load.

How do I get all three to load at once?
9 answers Last reply
More about need basic batch file

    start "" "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    start "" "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    start "" "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Brad Morris" wrote:
    |I am trying to write a batch file that will open 3 programs on my hard
    | drive.
    | I am running Win XP home. Here's the batch file
    |

    | ::start.bat
    | ::starts multiple programs
    | ::
    | @echo off
    |
    | "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    | "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    | "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    |
    | what happens is that it will load the first program but will not load the
    | second one until the first one is closed. When I close the second program
    | the 3rd program will then load.
    |
    | How do I get all three to load at once?

    Ah. I had tried the start in the batch but was not including the double
    quote before the paht/program. thanks for that!
    "Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
    > start "" "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    > start "" "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine
    > Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    > start "" "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Brad Morris" wrote:
    > |I am trying to write a batch file that will open 3 programs on my hard
    > | drive.
    > | I am running Win XP home. Here's the batch file
    > |

    > | ::start.bat
    > | ::starts multiple programs
    > | ::
    > | @echo off
    > |
    > | "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    > | "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    > | "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    > |
    > | what happens is that it will load the first program but will not load
    > the
    > | second one until the first one is closed. When I close the second
    > program
    > | the 3rd program will then load.
    > |
    > | How do I get all three to load at once?

    You're welcome.

    --

    "Brad Morris" wrote:
    | Ah. I had tried the start in the batch but was not including the double
    | quote before the paht/program. thanks for that!

    Type start in help.

    "Brad Morris" <bradmorris@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:%23wtnScosFHA.1328@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >I am trying to write a batch file that will open 3 programs on my hard
    > drive.
    > I am running Win XP home. Here's the batch file
    >

    > ::start.bat
    > ::starts multiple programs
    > ::
    > @echo off
    >
    > "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    > "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    > "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    >
    > what happens is that it will load the first program but will not load the
    > second one until the first one is closed. When I close the second program
    > the 3rd program will then load.
    >
    > How do I get all three to load at once?

    On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 21:02:44 -0500 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Brad Morris favored us with...
    > I am running Win XP home. Here's the batch file
    > "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    > "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    > "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"

    You need the command START at the beginning of each line.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
    days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:22:58 +1000 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, favored us with...

    > "Brad Morris" <bradmorris@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:%23wtnScosFHA.1328@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > >I am trying to write a batch file that will open 3 programs on my hard
    > > drive.
    > > I am running Win XP home. Here's the batch file
    > > "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    > > "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    > > "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    > > what happens is that it will load the first program but will not load the
    > > second one until the first one is closed. When I close the second program
    > > the 3rd program will then load.
    > >
    > > How do I get all three to load at once?
    >

    > Type start in help.

    You really ought to try your own advice before you post it.

    Out of curiosity, I did type "start" (no quotes) in Help, and I got
    15 topics, NOT ONE of which actually helped with the OP's question.

    To get help on the START command, you need to search "command-line
    reference" (no quotes, but you need the hyphen!), then select
    Command-line reference A-Z
    then select S and Start.

    It seems unfortunate that one can't get help on a command by just
    typing the command name in Help and Support. (Of course there's
    "START /?" from the prompt, but that doesn't let you scroll back and
    forth.) What I did, once I finally found "Command-line reference A-
    Z", was to create a shortcut to it in my Start Menu. The shortcut
    target is

    %systemroot%\hh.exe Ms-its:%systemroot%\help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
    days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

    Hi Stan, increase the screen buffer for CMD properties and then you can
    scroll back and forth.

    Stan Brown wrote:

    > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:22:58 +1000 in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, favored us with...
    >

    >>"Brad Morris" <bradmorris@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:%23wtnScosFHA.1328@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >>
    >>>I am trying to write a batch file that will open 3 programs on my hard
    >>>drive.
    >>>I am running Win XP home. Here's the batch file
    >>>"C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    >>>"C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    >>>"C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    >>>what happens is that it will load the first program but will not load the
    >>>second one until the first one is closed. When I close the second program
    >>>the 3rd program will then load.
    >>>
    >>>How do I get all three to load at once?
    >>

    >>Type start in help.
    >

    > You really ought to try your own advice before you post it.
    >
    > Out of curiosity, I did type "start" (no quotes) in Help, and I got
    > 15 topics, NOT ONE of which actually helped with the OP's question.
    >
    > To get help on the START command, you need to search "command-line
    > reference" (no quotes, but you need the hyphen!), then select
    > Command-line reference A-Z
    > then select S and Start.
    >
    > It seems unfortunate that one can't get help on a command by just
    > typing the command name in Help and Support. (Of course there's
    > "START /?" from the prompt, but that doesn't let you scroll back and
    > forth.) What I did, once I finally found "Command-line reference A-
    > Z", was to create a shortcut to it in my Start Menu. The shortcut
    > target is
    >
    > %systemroot%\hh.exe Ms-its:%systemroot%\help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm

    6th entry on the second tab.

    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:MPG.1d88d0af4bddc0c2989715@news.individual.net...
    > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:22:58 +1000 in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, favored us with...
    >
    >> "Brad Morris" <bradmorris@mchsi.com> wrote in message news:%23wtnScosFHA.1328@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> >I am trying to write a batch file that will open 3 programs on my hard
    >> > drive.
    >> > I am running Win XP home. Here's the batch file
    >> > "C:\Program Files\QuickVerse Sermon Builder 4\qvsb4.exe"
    >> > "C:\Program Files\PC Magazine Utilities\Winpointer\WinPointer.exe"
    >> > "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 12\Programs\wpwin12.exe"
    >> > what happens is that it will load the first program but will not load the
    >> > second one until the first one is closed. When I close the second program
    >> > the 3rd program will then load.
    >> >
    >> > How do I get all three to load at once?
    >>

    >> Type start in help.
    >
    > You really ought to try your own advice before you post it.
    >
    > Out of curiosity, I did type "start" (no quotes) in Help, and I got
    > 15 topics, NOT ONE of which actually helped with the OP's question.
    >
    > To get help on the START command, you need to search "command-line
    > reference" (no quotes, but you need the hyphen!), then select
    > Command-line reference A-Z
    > then select S and Start.
    >
    > It seems unfortunate that one can't get help on a command by just
    > typing the command name in Help and Support. (Of course there's
    > "START /?" from the prompt, but that doesn't let you scroll back and
    > forth.) What I did, once I finally found "Command-line reference A-
    > Z", was to create a shortcut to it in my Start Menu. The shortcut
    > target is
    >
    > %systemroot%\hh.exe Ms-its:%systemroot%\help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
    > days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 03:18:30 +1000 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, favored us with...

    > "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:MPG.1d88d0af4bddc0c2989715@news.individual.net...
    > > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:22:58 +1000 in
    > > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, favored us with...
    > >
    > >> Type start in help.
    > >
    > > You really ought to try your own advice before you post it.
    > >
    > > Out of curiosity, I did type "start" (no quotes) in Help, and I got
    > > 15 topics, NOT ONE of which actually helped with the OP's question.

    > 6th entry on the second tab.

    "Windows XP Product Activation Privacy Policy". Doesn't seem to have
    a lot to do with the START command.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.