Sign in with
Your question

Any reason to disable HT?

Last response: in CPUs
December 20, 2003 4:24:02 AM

ok..I just built a shuttle XPC for my sister, which has a P4 2.4C inside
as all of you know, 2.4C has HT technology
I read some benchmark of P4, looks like HT helps a bit, but not a lot
it does not really matter to my sister anyway, but for my curiosity..is there any reason to disable HT?

More about : reason disable

December 20, 2003 5:59:35 AM

>>>is there any reason to disable HT?

Not unless she uses one of those rare programs that doesn't work with multi-processor (or therefore with Hyperthreaded) systems.
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2003 6:03:39 AM

It's possible to disable HT in just one program, too.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 20, 2003 2:05:23 PM

i have seen come game benchies that show a very slight benifit from having HT off. other than that, itll make your windows experience MUCH faster so leave it on i would say

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
December 20, 2003 2:39:15 PM

Hey Phial, longtime haven't seen you, where have you been? :smile:
ok..that's what I thought too, I'll just leave it on, my sister is not going to play games anyway
Thanks
December 20, 2003 2:41:59 PM

hey d00d

well, i moved recently.. and got a new job. so i havent had alot of time... well thats not true, im always on my computer after work :D 

truth is some crap went down in the "other" section a couple months ago with a certain persian alien (not all his fault) and quite frankly i got sick of looking at this site. but i still love this place, just needed a little respite :) 

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
December 21, 2003 12:30:49 AM

I would like to see a software that can do that.

I dont like french test
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2003 2:03:08 AM

Sure, it's called Windows XP! I believe 2k can do it too. It can set the number of logical processors available to a program. I read it in a post on tweaks. Of course I'm not an expert tweaker and didn't memorize how to use that feature.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 21, 2003 2:09:31 AM

ive seen it too, quite possible on those platforms

-------

dhlucke - "Phew...ok my wrists are hurting. I'm taking a break."
December 21, 2003 2:46:03 AM

Yes, you can do it with task manager(ctrl-alt-del to bring it up), go to process tab, right click the process, and set affinity to one logical processor by unchecking other logical processors.

XP1900+
MSI KT3 Ultra 2(KT333)
512 MB Samsung PC2700
AIW 9700 PRO(Catalyst 3.1+DX9)
WD 80.0 GB @ 7200 RPM
LG 19"
LG 32x10x40x CDRW
Windows XP SP1
December 21, 2003 3:25:38 AM

Crashman , can widows 2k handke HT , i thought it could'nt and have it disabled .Let me know ok.

The man of steel said that
December 21, 2003 3:38:01 AM

Win2k can handle HT, but not optimized for it, because it think HT as 2 physical processor which is not. However XP is aware of HT and does optimization for it, though I don't remember the details of how the optimization works(it's probably related to the how the OS treat HALT instruction...).

XP1900+
MSI KT3 Ultra 2(KT333)
512 MB Samsung PC2700
AIW 9700 PRO(Catalyst 3.1+DX9)
WD 80.0 GB @ 7200 RPM
LG 19"
LG 32x10x40x CDRW
Windows XP SP1
December 21, 2003 5:47:35 AM

Sun's Java Virtual Machine seems to particularly hate HT. From other Java developers, I've heard that performance can drop more than 50% when HT is enabled. This is a pretty big problem and I would've expected Sun to have addressed it already, but alas...

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
December 21, 2003 8:30:30 PM

Win XP dont support localisation of tread as normaly that a feature that is use on NUMA OS like WIN 2003.I dont have a HT chip so i cannot look for myself.

I dont like french test
!