Any reason to disable HT?

ok..I just built a shuttle XPC for my sister, which has a P4 2.4C inside
as all of you know, 2.4C has HT technology
I read some benchmark of P4, looks like HT helps a bit, but not a lot
it does not really matter to my sister anyway, but for my curiosity..is there any reason to disable HT?
13 answers Last reply
More about reason disable
  1. >>>is there any reason to disable HT?

Not unless she uses one of those rare programs that doesn't work with multi-processor (or therefore with Hyperthreaded) systems.
  2. It's possible to disable HT in just one program, too.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  3. i have seen come game benchies that show a very slight benifit from having HT off. other than that, itll make your windows experience MUCH faster so leave it on i would say

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
  4. Hey Phial, longtime haven't seen you, where have you been? :smile:
    ok..that's what I thought too, I'll just leave it on, my sister is not going to play games anyway
    Thanks
  5. hey d00d

well, i moved recently.. and got a new job. so i havent had alot of time... well thats not true, im always on my computer after work :D

truth is some crap went down in the "other" section a couple months ago with a certain persian alien (not all his fault) and quite frankly i got sick of looking at this site. but i still love this place, just needed a little respite :)

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
  6. I would like to see a software that can do that.

I dont like french test
  7. Sure, it's called Windows XP! I believe 2k can do it too. It can set the number of logical processors available to a program. I read it in a post on tweaks. Of course I'm not an expert tweaker and didn't memorize how to use that feature.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  8. ive seen it too, quite possible on those platforms

-------

dhlucke - "Phew...ok my wrists are hurting. I'm taking a break."
  9. Yes, you can do it with task manager(ctrl-alt-del to bring it up), go to process tab, right click the process, and set affinity to one logical processor by unchecking other logical processors.

XP1900+
    MSI KT3 Ultra 2(KT333)
    512 MB Samsung PC2700
    AIW 9700 PRO(Catalyst 3.1+DX9)
    WD 80.0 GB @ 7200 RPM
    LG 19"
    LG 32x10x40x CDRW
    Windows XP SP1
  10. Crashman , can widows 2k handke HT , i thought it could'nt and have it disabled .Let me know ok.

The man of steel said that
  11. Win2k can handle HT, but not optimized for it, because it think HT as 2 physical processor which is not. However XP is aware of HT and does optimization for it, though I don't remember the details of how the optimization works(it's probably related to the how the OS treat HALT instruction...).

XP1900+
    MSI KT3 Ultra 2(KT333)
    512 MB Samsung PC2700
    AIW 9700 PRO(Catalyst 3.1+DX9)
    WD 80.0 GB @ 7200 RPM
    LG 19"
    LG 32x10x40x CDRW
    Windows XP SP1
  12. Sun's Java Virtual Machine seems to particularly hate HT. From other Java developers, I've heard that performance can drop more than 50% when HT is enabled. This is a pretty big problem and I would've expected Sun to have addressed it already, but alas...

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
  13. Win XP dont support localisation of tread as normaly that a feature that is use on NUMA OS like WIN 2003.I dont have a HT chip so i cannot look for myself.

I dont like french test
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Shuttle Benchmark