help!!!!!!!!

christof

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Hi guys, I hope you can help me out here. I built me system about 6 months back now, recently when I have been running a high end game it just keeps shutting down, and going back to desktop.

I have read about cpu and psu overheating etc, I've also been running prime 95 which stops running and says hardware failure detected.

I've gone into Bios and got the following details.

VCore 1.835V
DDR Vtt 1.328V
+3.3V 3.264V
+5V 4.892
+12V 12.800V
5VSB 5.080
Sys temp 44C
CPU Fan speed 4821rpm
Sys fan speed 0rpm
CPU temp 72C

The CPU temp seems to high, but the fans in the case are working, and the fan on the CPU is working.

System info

AMD XP 2400+
512mb PC2700
120gb H/D
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP KT400 M/B
128mb MSI graphics.
PSU generic rated at 400W

I have read the thread regarding the heat coming from the back of the PSU, and it isn't running very hot, it's just warm to cool.

I hope I have suplied enough info for any help.

Thanks

Chris

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Check your HSF make sure you have good contact. make sure you using thermal compound or grease. Your CPU temps are way to high. If nothing is wrong with the HSF lower the Vcore to 1.6 or so.

Why do you have Vcore so high are you overclocking?

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Read your manual. Some require a special key function to enable advanced features. My current bios I use control + F1 to enable advanced features.

Posts your system specs what mother board and version etc etc.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

christof

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
I've been out and bought a new cpu heatsinf and fan today, and that seems to have done the trick. It has brought the temp down to 42-45C, but the volt reading is still the same.

I have a gigabyte GA-7VAXP motherboard with an AMD XP 2400+ chip.

agent2killa

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2003
I think your mobo should support core voltage change. Check again your manual. sure somewhere in the manual it points on changing the core voltage.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+@2.15GHz
Abit KD7-RAID
Seagate Barracuda V 80GB
3*256MB Kingston PC2700

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
You should be able to set the CPU options to manual and then the greyed out areas will be accessible to change.

The voltage for your CPU is high and the new heatsink and fan are only going to save you for now. The problem will happen again as soon as the CPU fan and heatsink get dirty again.

Try the Manual option in the BIOS see if you can gain access to the CPU settings. Read the manual.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

christof

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
I have read the manual about the settings and all it does is explain what they mean, it gives no options or advice on how to change the settings. I've even installed the software that came with the motherboard, EasyTune 4, that is a windows based software to let you overclock the system. I can change the Vcore reading through this, but it only lets me change to a higher reading, not lower.

I don't know what to do now, I've tried the Bios, I've read the manual and there are no special options or keys to press to make the options available to alter.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think the key combination for advanced settings on your board is Ctl-A. Your DDR VTT should be 1.50v OR HIGHER I believe. Your board might have a setting for that if you access the advanced menu.

I see your 3.3v line is a little low as well. I prefer this to be a little high. And there's probably nothing you can do to change it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

christof

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
I have tried using the Ctlr-A for the advanced settings, and it still isn't letting acess the options. I'm starting to think that they can't be altered at all, and that they are already on they're minimum settings.

If anyone has any inspiration, please let me know!!! other wise have a happy new year, and I'll hope my machine doesn't blow up!

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Your Vcore is a little high (it's not critical) If your cpu is cool I would not sweat too much about it. The default Vcore for your cpu is 1.65 (I think) and only needs to go above 1.65 if you are overclocking.

Like wusy just said, and I told you a few posts ago try control + F1. Looks like we both have gigabyte boards so enter your bios setup then press (control + F1) then try access the Vcore settings.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
One more question. Where did you purchse you computer. I'm just curious because if you never set your Vcore that high who did?

Some shady local computer shops will overclock slower and cheaper cpu's like an xp1700 over clocked to 2 giz = xp2400

I'm not saying that's what happened to you but I'm curious why your cpu Vcore is not at it's default setting of 1.65.

christof

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
thanks for the info Darko. I had tried your suggestion from an earlier post about the Ctrl + F1, but that didn't work.

I built the system myself. I bought the components and went from there. I have never been interested in the Bios settings before, so was never tempted to mess around.

The CPU temp is alot better now I have the new h/s and fan in, it's down to around 42-50 dependant on what I'm running at the time.

I know the CPU is definately a 2400+ as I've run a couple benchmark programs, like SIS Sandra, and hardinfo, both recognise the 2400+ cpu on the scans.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
I'm not sure if your problem was resolved or not, but if it wasn't the heat issue.. it could be GAIN spyware.
I used to have an older computer that did the exact same thing.. i would be playing the game and it would just shut it down.*I deleted my Kazaa and checked for spyware it killed gain and after that it was working fine**
I'm not sure if it was Kazaa or Gain. So.. if the heat wasn't the problem... you could always do a spyware check.

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata

christof

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
OK, now I have a new, more serious problem,(surprise, surprise!!!). In an effort to change the values in the bios, and for any of you who don't know my nightmare, just read the post from the beginning to get up to speed. I used the gigabyte windows based bios update software, I was on bios version F10, it found a new update and updated to F14 with no problems. I restarted my machine, went into the bios and followed the install instructions in the readme file.

Saved settings to cmos and exited. This is were it gets good! the computer reboots and goes through the usual boot up procedure no probs, goes onto the windows loading screen ok, loads the windows desktop, then procedes to reboot. It's now stuck in that loop and I can't do anything.

It does start in safe mode though, but like a dick that I am, I didn't back up my old bios when asked.

I hope there is a simple fix for this that I am overlooking.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Try shuting down your computer and pulling the cmos battery for 1 minute. replace battery and try restarting.

christof

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
thanks for the tip, just been away and tried it. Still stuck in the reboot loop.

AMD athlon XP2400+
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP M/B
Generic 2700 512mb ram
MSI 128mb ddr 8X AGP Graphics card
Seagate 120mb 7200rpm 8mb cache H/D
CD-RW + DVD
S/B Live 5.1 audio card.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Don't these boards support dual bios? I have never need to try it but in your case I would. Check your manual on how to use the second bios.

christof

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
yeah they do support dual bios, but if I have updated the bios surely it would have done both?

AMD athlon XP2400+
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP M/B
Generic 2700 512mb ram
CD-RW + DVD
S/B Live 5.1 audio card.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Depends on the board my ga7nnxp has no reset jumper you gotta yank the battery. but if you got a jumper thats the way to go.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
I don't know for sure but I would not think so. It would kinda defeat the purpose. Give it a try.

christof

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
thank god there is a back up bios with my motherboard, and why didn't I just remember that and use it in the first place!!

Moral to the story, if it aint broke don't fix it.

It still doesn't solve my initial problem of the volt being to high, but at least my machine turns on now!

Thanks guys

AMD athlon XP2400+
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP M/B
Generic 2700 512mb ram
CD-RW + DVD
S/B Live 5.1 audio card.