Hi, I didn't install any new hardware or software in my laptop,
however, the OS hangs during boot up today. I am using XP Pro SP2. The
welcome screen will not show. I can boot up to safe mode without
problem. But using selective bootup, clearing all 4 options and disable
all services including MS services didn't help. It still hangs at the
logo. Any idea how can I fix this?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:1125976370.991474.92900@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
et123@hotmail.com <et123@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> Hi, I didn't install any new hardware or software in my laptop,
> however, the OS hangs during boot up today. I am using XP Pro SP2. The
> welcome screen will not show. I can boot up to safe mode without
> problem. But using selective bootup, clearing all 4 options and
> disable all services including MS services didn't help. It still
> hangs at the logo. Any idea how can I fix this?

If you're willing to try safe mode WITH networking (not really advised
normally) you can try a malware scan. Have you tried restore and last known
good configuration? If those aren't effective and you don't have a more
specific error then I'd suggest a malware scan first:

Malware Cleaning :
http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html

If that is ineffective then:

Repair Installation of XP :
http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/xprepair.html

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Malke

Galen wrote:

> In news:1125976370.991474.92900@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
> et123@hotmail.com <et123@hotmail.com> had this to say:

>> Hi, I didn't install any new hardware or software in my laptop,
>> however, the OS hangs during boot up today. I am using XP Pro SP2.
>> The welcome screen will not show. I can boot up to safe mode without
>> problem. But using selective bootup, clearing all 4 options and
>> disable all services including MS services didn't help. It still
>> hangs at the logo. Any idea how can I fix this?
>
> If you're willing to try safe mode WITH networking (not really advised
> normally) you can try a malware scan. Have you tried restore and last
> known good configuration? If those aren't effective and you don't have
> a more specific error then I'd suggest a malware scan first:
>
> Malware Cleaning :
> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/malwarefix.html
>
> If that is ineffective then:
>
> Repair Installation of XP :
> http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/xprepair.html

With respect, scans for malware should not be done in Safe Mode with
Networking but rather in plain Safe Mode. Malware may be active with a
network connection live. All tools/updates necessary for malware
scanning should be obtained from a different, known-working machine
with an Internet connection and a cd burner (or have a usb thumbdrive
large enough to transfer the files). If the OP doesn't have access to
another machine, it is better to take the computer to a local
professional. If no local professional is available, then use Safe Mode
with Networking to get the tools/updates.

If booting to Last Known Good Config doesn't work and the machine is
clean, I would want more information about the laptop's specifications.
When a clean machine can get into Safe Mode but not Regular Mode, this
often means failure of the video card. In the case of a laptop, this
means the owner will need to contact the laptop mftr. for tech support.
There certainly may be other reasons why the laptop will not boot into
Regular Mode, but it will be difficult to determine them without
actually seeing the laptop.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Actually till today I still don't know what happened to my OS. I can
boot to safe mode without problem, malware scan didnt detect anything
in pure safe mode, nor did antivirus.

The way I "solved" the problem was wait. I waited 30mins at the Windows
XP logo screen and only able to see my log in prompt. Every thing
worked fine since then, including numerous reboot. Today, it happened
again, and I have been waiting at the xp screen till now (i am on
another machine now). I suspect it could be some writing of dump files.
could it be? how do i remove this feature? The reason I suspect it is
writing dump is because, I was able to boot up normally, and while
logging in, XP hangs. I forced power off the machine, and now it is
stucked at the MS logo booting page.

I know it's hard to determine what's the exact cause based on these
little info, I would appreciate how can I dig out the problem or how do
I start? I have tried clean boot following MS site, it won't boot up
even I unchecked everything in MS config. System restore didnt help
either.

malke, the notebook is compaq evo n800v.
P4-M 1.8MHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500.

Thanks again.

Malke

et123@hotmail.com wrote:

> Actually till today I still don't know what happened to my OS. I can
> boot to safe mode without problem, malware scan didnt detect anything
> in pure safe mode, nor did antivirus.
>
> The way I "solved" the problem was wait. I waited 30mins at the
> Windows XP logo screen and only able to see my log in prompt. Every
> thing worked fine since then, including numerous reboot. Today, it
> happened again, and I have been waiting at the xp screen till now (i
> am on another machine now). I suspect it could be some writing of dump
> files. could it be? how do i remove this feature? The reason I suspect
> it is writing dump is because, I was able to boot up normally, and
> while logging in, XP hangs. I forced power off the machine, and now it
> is stucked at the MS logo booting page.
>
> I know it's hard to determine what's the exact cause based on these
> little info, I would appreciate how can I dig out the problem or how
> do I start? I have tried clean boot following MS site, it won't boot
> up even I unchecked everything in MS config. System restore didnt help
> either.
>
> malke, the notebook is compaq evo n800v.
> P4-M 1.8MHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500.
>
> Thanks again.

Since you can boot to Safe Mode with no problem but clean-boot
troubleshooting didn't help, it may be hardware problems. Things to try
or consider:

1. Back up your data from Safe Mode and use Compaq's Recovery Disk to
take the machine back to factory condition. Understand that you will
lose all data so have it backed up.

2. Do some hardware testing. Your video could be failing. Your RAM could
be bad. There isn't any way for me to know. If you don't know how to do
hardware testing, either:

3. Call Compaq tech support and have them fix it or

4. Take the machine to a professional computer repair shop and have them
figure it out for you.

I'm sorry that I don't have a specific answer for you. I think at this
point someone needs to be on-site to actually look at it.

Good luck,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

I think I have some ideas now. I disable radeon in safe mode, and tried
to boot up in normal mode, it worked. When I re-enable this, the boot
up hangs again. So now I am checking does reinstalling the diplay
driver helps.

After installing the lastest driver, my hang problem doesnt go away. I
can only boot to normal mode when disabling the Radeon card. If I
re-enable it in normal mode, XP pro hangs. I can only boot to safe mode
still. So does this conclude that my radeon card is spoilt?

Malke

et123@hotmail.com wrote:

> After installing the lastest driver, my hang problem doesnt go away. I
> can only boot to normal mode when disabling the Radeon card. If I
> re-enable it in normal mode, XP pro hangs. I can only boot to safe
> mode still. So does this conclude that my radeon card is spoilt?

Sounds like it.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in news:Od$$BRHtFHA.1372
@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

If you have a system restoer point from before you installed the drivers,
use it, otherwise, un-install the Radeon drivers and boot with the card
enabled. Windows should find some drivers to load. If Windows loads, then
it was a driver issue.

> et123@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> After installing the lastest driver, my hang problem doesnt go away. I
>> can only boot to normal mode when disabling the Radeon card. If I
>> re-enable it in normal mode, XP pro hangs. I can only boot to safe
>> mode still. So does this conclude that my radeon card is spoilt?
>
> Sounds like it.
>
> Malke

et123@hotmail.com wrote in news:1126237242.965404.318950
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

It actually sound a lot more like a driver problem. Do you have access to
another version of the driver?

> I tried system restore before, it didn't helps.
>
> Anyway I believe it is hardware problem. I took a blank hdd and install
> xp on my same notebook. Once I install the radeon driver, the system
> will hangs at the same place. I was going to format my old hdd but I
> suspect it is not software issue so I tried with a 10gb hdd and now it
> doesn't work as well. So I concluded it should be my card need to be
> replaced.
>
> Thanks a lot for everyone's time and effort in helping me.
>
> Thanks again.

sachinhere

I have exactly same problem with my old toshiba satellite 5202 series motherboard
this problem is actually due to faulty hardware in my case it is my sound card or sound adapter becoz when I uninstalld sound driver it was able to boot normally without sound card support and as soon as i install the driver again it hangs at microsoft logo,in your case the faulty hardware might me different .

TRENDING THREADS