Printing an envelope from Palm address database

November 24, 2004 4:01:28 AM

I've been using, or perhaps underusing, Palms since the IIIx was top of
the line. I now am trying to do something that should be a basic
function, but apparently cannot be done with the default desktop (PC)
software.

I'm trying to print an envelope.

Can this be done with the Palm Desktop? And if not (as I suspect), is
there a desktop replacement that does?

My current setup is Palm Desktop 4.1, included with my Kyocera 7135
SmartPhone, on a WinXP Pro desktop.

When I tried to just print it, it printed an address book entry
suitable for punching holes into and placing in a binder, not for an
envelope. Knowing I can print an envelope from MS Word, I tried Edit \
Send To \ MS Word, but that gave me a csv data line, also unsuited for
envelope printing.

Ok, what about Outlook? I apparently need a conduit for that.
PocketMirror is $40, and has no trial period. Is there anything else?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" -
Charles Darwin, 1871
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 12:52:40 PM

"Jeffrey Kaplan" <cspp@gordol.org> wrote in message
> I've been using, or perhaps underusing, Palms since the IIIx was top of
> the line. I now am trying to do something that should be a basic
> function, but apparently cannot be done with the default desktop (PC)
> software.
>
> I'm trying to print an envelope.
>
> Can this be done with the Palm Desktop? And if not (as I suspect), is
> there a desktop replacement that does?
>
> My current setup is Palm Desktop 4.1, included with my Kyocera 7135
> SmartPhone, on a WinXP Pro desktop.
>
> When I tried to just print it, it printed an address book entry
> suitable for punching holes into and placing in a binder, not for an
> envelope. Knowing I can print an envelope from MS Word, I tried Edit \
> Send To \ MS Word, but that gave me a csv data line, also unsuited for
> envelope printing.
>
> Ok, what about Outlook? I apparently need a conduit for that.
> PocketMirror is $40, and has no trial period. Is there anything else?
>
> --
> Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
> The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol
>
> "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" -

Try exporting the addressbook to a csv file then use mailmerge wizard in
Word with the csv file as the data source.
> Charles Darwin, 1871
November 24, 2004 2:08:42 PM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:01:28 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

> When I tried to just print it, it printed an address book entry
> suitable for punching holes into and placing in a binder, not for an
> envelope. Knowing I can print an envelope from MS Word, I tried Edit \
> Send To \ MS Word, but that gave me a csv data line, also unsuited for
> envelope printing.

I don't use MS Word, but could you get it to print the envelopes
using a 'mail merge' feature? That's been a common feature of
almost all PC word processors since the early CP/M days. If not, an
extremely simple program could be written to read csv data and print
the envelopes. Simplest and most convenient would be a BASIC
interpreter (you might find one on an old MSDOS floppy disk), but
almost any language would do.
November 24, 2004 5:02:44 PM

Begin BillB quote:

; I don't use MS Word, but could you get it to print the envelopes
; using a 'mail merge' feature? That's been a common feature of

Yeah, I could do that... if the data was in Word/Outlook/Office's
address book, which it isn't. It's in Palm Desktop, hence the problem
at hand. Printing from Word is not the problem, I know how to do that.
Getting the data into Word for printing, that is the problem.

For a one-shot, sure, I could export the data as csv and then import
it. But this is live data that changes and I want the changes
reflected in both ends without having to enter data twice or jumping
through hoops.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

DISCLAIMER: Subject to change without notice.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 6:18:38 PM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:01:28 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan had this to say...

> I've been using, or perhaps underusing, Palms since the IIIx was top of
> the line. I now am trying to do something that should be a basic
> function, but apparently cannot be done with the default desktop (PC)
> software.
>
> I'm trying to print an envelope.
>
> Can this be done with the Palm Desktop? And if not (as I suspect), is
> there a desktop replacement that does?
>
> My current setup is Palm Desktop 4.1, included with my Kyocera 7135
> SmartPhone, on a WinXP Pro desktop.
>
> When I tried to just print it, it printed an address book entry
> suitable for punching holes into and placing in a binder, not for an
> envelope. Knowing I can print an envelope from MS Word, I tried Edit \
> Send To \ MS Word, but that gave me a csv data line, also unsuited for
> envelope printing.
>
> Ok, what about Outlook? I apparently need a conduit for that.
> PocketMirror is $40, and has no trial period. Is there anything else?

<http://www.palmpower.com/issues/issue199812/labels001.h...;
Printing mailing labels with Palm Desktop.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Begin Jim Anderson quote:

; <http://www.palmpower.com/issues/issue199812/labels001.h...;
; Printing mailing labels with Palm Desktop.

Nice, but it doesn't work.

| These instructions assume you're using Palm Desktop 3, Microsoft Word,

I'm using Palm Desktop 4.1.

| Select the names you'd like to make labels for by holding the Control
| key down as you left-click each name with your mouse. When you have
| selected all of the names and addresses you want to use for labels, as
| shown in Figure A, drag them to the Word icon at the bottom right of
| the Palm Desktop screen.

There are no such icons, so there is nothing for me to drag to. Using
Edit \ Send To appears to accomplish the same thing.

| A table containing the addresses you selected will be created in Word, as shown in Figure B.

This is the same result I get from Edit \ Send To. Which is NOT what
I'm looking for. The process is way too much fiddling to print one
envelope.

Yes, +one+ envelope. One envelope now to one address I may not use for
three months, and another single envelope next month, etc.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly
by." (Douglas Adams)
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 12:51:52 AM

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

> Begin BillB quote:
>
> ; I don't use MS Word, but could you get it to print the envelopes
> ; using a 'mail merge' feature? That's been a common feature of
>
> Yeah, I could do that... if the data was in Word/Outlook/Office's
> address book, which it isn't. It's in Palm Desktop, hence the problem
> at hand. Printing from Word is not the problem, I know how to do that.
> Getting the data into Word for printing, that is the problem.

Well, Word has macros. Surely they're useful for more than just
spreading viruses. Well, not SURELY, but HOPEFULLY. Presumably
if they're implemented well, it might take 30 minutes to an hour
to learn how to make Word do this automatically. (Although that's
just a guess since I don't use Word.)

- Logan
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 1:43:30 PM

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

> Yes, +one+ envelope. One envelope now to one address I may not use for
> three months, and another single envelope next month, etc.

The way I do it (Palm Desktop 4.1, Word 2003) is:

in Palm Desktop, go to the Contacts list screen. Find the contact you want,
right-click and select Copy. This will copy the contact details to the clipboard.

In word, select the "Envelopes and Labels" menu option (I've got a button on the
toolbar for this as I have to do it quite often) and press Ctrl-V to paste the
address in. Often Word will do this automatically if there's something on the
clipboard. It'll put in the whole contact - including phone numbers - so you may
want to get delete them first. You could probably write a word macro to do that
but it's probably not worth it if you're only doing this occasionaly.

Then press print and away you go. No 3rd party software or messing with
import/export CSV or anythnig.

Glenn.
!