Does Microsoft realize they have a major flaw in Windows XP?

Now I know you may think they do realize the issue because they have a
Knowledge Base article on the issue. But come'on how long has Windows XP
existed in the Market? And if you know anything about Knowledge Base
articles and statements such as this in them "Microsoft is researching this
problem and will post more information in this article when the information
becomes available," you'll know that the issue will never be addressed -
forever. Give me one example where a statement such as this in a Knowledge
Base article was EVER addressed afterwards. Just one. Here is the KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884564

Now I can tell you the RPC error as they have written here is only half the
story. The other half they camouflage but if you read the article closely
you will see they say, "receive either of the following error messages..."
The important word here is "either." That means one or the other - maybe
both since that is not addressed. The old Aristotlean logic here.

Anyway reading further it says for cause, "because of a mismatch in the
computer name and the name that the RPC service expects." Now this
addresses one half of the Venn not the other. In fact the "either" has been
completely ignored. The cause addresses the RPC half of the either NOT the
other namely, "You do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on
computer name."

So let's assume the Cause preamble is not the whole story (they do say
"may") and jump into the various "methods" listed.

Notice the word "one" in the preamble and again "one" in the third "method."
It turns out the issue can arise when we "disconnect the network cable
during the Windows XP Out of Box Experience." Well that's all fine and
dandy. What if there is no Network connection during the OOBE? Hmmm...
Obviously this article implies that if we install Windows XP without a
Network Connection then we run the risk of at some time in the future, "You
do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on computer name." And
that is what has happened to me. I removed the system from the Network
Connection to do some work on it and guess what? I can no longer access
Disk Manager. Whether it is hooked up to the Domain or not from Windows XP.
Believe it or not I CAN access the Disk Manager from the Domain Controller
but no longer from Windows XP itself.

Hence I have to re-install because of this issue. And to make sure I don't
experience it again I have to make sure I do it while on the Network. Or
maybe not. The point is this issue has existed for three years now. And
what we have here is all that has been said about the matter and likely ever
will.

--
George Hester
_________________________________

The article was re-reviewed July 15 2005 (just a few weeks ago).
The problem (symptom, cause) is clearly stated and a workaround provided.

The problem itself is still under investigation and a fix may be forthcoming
in the future.

Beyond this I fail to see the point of your message. Is the workaround not
working for you or are you experiencing some other problem you think is
related to this one ?

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Network Connection then we run the risk of at some time in the future,
> "You
> do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on computer name." And
> that is what has happened to me. I removed the system from the Network
> Connection to do some work on it and guess what? I can no longer access
> Disk Manager. Whether it is hooked up to the Domain or not from Windows
> XP.
> Believe it or not I CAN access the Disk Manager from the Domain Controller
> but no longer from Windows XP itself.
>
> Hence I have to re-install because of this issue. And to make sure I
> don't
> experience it again I have to make sure I do it while on the Network. Or
> maybe not. The point is this issue has existed for three years now. And
> what we have here is all that has been said about the matter and likely

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

The way I read it, that article refers to disconnecting the Network Cable
DURING the oobe, not before or after it.

A reinstall seems a bit drastic. Perhaps changing your computer name to a
temporary one and then back again might resolve the issue.

Otherwise Googling for that particular error message may turn up a
workaround.

http://tinyurl.com/7zjex

Jon

> [...]
> Network Connection then we run the risk of at some time in the future,
> "You
> do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on computer name." And
> that is what has happened to me. I removed the system from the Network
> Connection to do some work on it and guess what? I can no longer access
> Disk Manager. Whether it is hooked up to the Domain or not from Windows
> XP.
> Believe it or not I CAN access the Disk Manager from the Domain Controller
> but no longer from Windows XP itself.
>
> Hence I have to re-install because of this issue. And to make sure I
> don't
> experience it again I have to make sure I do it while on the Network. Or
> maybe not. The point is this issue has existed for three years now. And
> what we have here is all that has been said about the matter and likely

Yes John that is what it says. But if you install without a Network
Connection then during the OOBE there is no Network connection. In other
words the cable is gone or what amounts to the same thing it has been
removed.

Now to tell you the truth trying to match up my situation with this OOBE
thing is probably stretching it. Here is MY cause. When we remove Windows
XP from a domain by removing the cable and then loging in with the
Administrator local account, we will find that Windows Disk Manager gives
the error as stated. Pretty simple.

But I am going to try your idea now. Off line. Thanks.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on computer name."
And
> > that is what has happened to me. I removed the system from the Network
> > Connection to do some work on it and guess what? I can no longer access
> > Disk Manager. Whether it is hooked up to the Domain or not from Windows
> > XP.
> > Believe it or not I CAN access the Disk Manager from the Domain
Controller
> > but no longer from Windows XP itself.
> >
> > Hence I have to re-install because of this issue. And to make sure I
> > don't
> > experience it again I have to make sure I do it while on the Network. O
> > maybe not. The point is this issue has existed for three years now.
And
> > what we have here is all that has been said about the matter and likely

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 09:17:59 -0400, "George Hester"
<hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Yes John that is what it says. But if you install without a Network
>Connection then during the OOBE there is no Network connection. In other
>words the cable is gone or what amounts to the same thing it has been
>removed.

Are you ACTUALLY telling us that you don't know how to create a
Network Connection BEFORE the OOBE? We have freedom to activate our
OS ANYTIME during the 30-day grace period we are given. As an
example, I NEVER activate my OS after a new install UNTIL I have
installed an Antivirus product and shaken the machine out. I make
sure I have a network connection BEFORE I attempt to activate the OS.

This is only common sense.

>Now to tell you the truth trying to match up my situation with this OOBE
>thing is probably stretching it. Here is MY cause. When we remove Windows
>XP from a domain by removing the cable and then loging in with the
>Administrator local account, we will find that Windows Disk Manager gives
>the error as stated. Pretty simple.
>
>But I am going to try your idea now. Off line. Thanks.
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
from my email address before sending.

Ah you know what Jon I think you got it. I remember once I read that when
we disconnect Windows XP from the domain to do something like what I want to
do I should remove it from the domain first. That is what I am going to
try. I'll hook it back up to the domain release it from the domain and try
again. We'll see how that goes. Thanks for the help.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
> The way I read it, that article refers to disconnecting the Network Cable
> DURING the oobe, not before or after it.
>
> A reinstall seems a bit drastic. Perhaps changing your computer name to a
> temporary one and then back again might resolve the issue.
>
> Otherwise Googling for that particular error message may turn up a
> workaround.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7zjex
>

> Jon

Picking up on another thing George. You seem to pick up on articles and continue to show that you hit on it yourself. This is not the first time. Get a life.

--
Peter

> [...]
> Obviously this article implies that if we install Windows XP without a
> Network Connection then we run the risk of at some time in the future, "You
> do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on computer name." And
> that is what has happened to me. I removed the system from the Network
> Connection to do some work on it and guess what? I can no longer access
> Disk Manager. Whether it is hooked up to the Domain or not from Windows XP.
> Believe it or not I CAN access the Disk Manager from the Domain Controller
> but no longer from Windows XP itself.
>
> Hence I have to re-install because of this issue. And to make sure I don't
> experience it again I have to make sure I do it while on the Network. Or
> maybe not. The point is this issue has existed for three years now. And
> what we have here is all that has been said about the matter and likely ever

Well how am I suppose to know that? I really do not care if you don't like
my life. It's the only one I have and I am going to stick with it
regardless. I never said anything about whether I was the only one that
"hit on it." You say it's been talked about before "not the first time?"
Well instead of just words prove it. I'm all ears.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
> [...]

> Network Connection then we run the risk of at some time in the future,
"You
> do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on computer name." And
> that is what has happened to me. I removed the system from the Network
> Connection to do some work on it and guess what? I can no longer access
> Disk Manager. Whether it is hooked up to the Domain or not from Windows
XP.
> Believe it or not I CAN access the Disk Manager from the Domain Controller
> but no longer from Windows XP itself.
>
> Hence I have to re-install because of this issue. And to make sure I
don't
> experience it again I have to make sure I do it while on the Network. Or
> maybe not. The point is this issue has existed for three years now. And
> what we have here is all that has been said about the matter and likely

Your link gave me this which is the exact issue.

http://www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admi
n/2003-04/3540.html

--
George Hester
_________________________________
> [...]

And
> > that is what has happened to me. I removed the system from the Network
> > Connection to do some work on it and guess what? I can no longer access
> > Disk Manager. Whether it is hooked up to the Domain or not from Windows
> > XP.
> > Believe it or not I CAN access the Disk Manager from the Domain
Controller
> > but no longer from Windows XP itself.
> >
> > Hence I have to re-install because of this issue. And to make sure I
> > don't
> > experience it again I have to make sure I do it while on the Network.
Or
> > maybe not. The point is this issue has existed for three years now.
And
> > what we have here is all that has been said about the matter and likely

Reinstall was necessary. Now I just have to figure what happened so that I
don't do it again. But to be honest with you I think it is a flaw in this
operating sytem and I am not the first to experience it nor will I be the
last. Of course with the level of feedback I received by my post I can
understand why the issue will likely never be fixed. Out all who took the
time to respond I wish to extend my thanks to Jon. Jon we need more like
you here.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
> [...]
> Network Connection then we run the risk of at some time in the future,
"You
> do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on computer name." And
> that is what has happened to me. I removed the system from the Network
> Connection to do some work on it and guess what? I can no longer access
> Disk Manager. Whether it is hooked up to the Domain or not from Windows
XP.
> Believe it or not I CAN access the Disk Manager from the Domain Controller
> but no longer from Windows XP itself.
>
> Hence I have to re-install because of this issue. And to make sure I
don't
> experience it again I have to make sure I do it while on the Network. Or
> maybe not. The point is this issue has existed for three years now. And
> what we have here is all that has been said about the matter and likely

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:17:41 -0400, "George Hester"
<hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Reinstall was necessary. Now I just have to figure what happened so that I
>don't do it again. But to be honest with you I think it is a flaw in this
>operating sytem and I am not the first to experience it nor will I be the
>last. Of course with the level of feedback I received by my post I can
>understand why the issue will likely never be fixed. Out all who took the
>time to respond I wish to extend my thanks to Jon. Jon we need more like
>you here.

I'm really sorry you didn't like the truth, my friend. That's all I
have to give. If Microsoft says they are working on the issue, they
are, you can bet on it.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
from my email address before sending.

No the machine was not in a position to be hooked up to the Network during
the install. Please try to give me some credit.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Donald L McDaniel" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 09:17:59 -0400, "George Hester"
> <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Yes John that is what it says. But if you install without a Network
> >Connection then during the OOBE there is no Network connection. In other
> >words the cable is gone or what amounts to the same thing it has been
> >removed.
>
> Are you ACTUALLY telling us that you don't know how to create a
> Network Connection BEFORE the OOBE? We have freedom to activate our
> OS ANYTIME during the 30-day grace period we are given. As an
> example, I NEVER activate my OS after a new install UNTIL I have
> installed an Antivirus product and shaken the machine out. I make
> sure I have a network connection BEFORE I attempt to activate the OS.
>
> This is only common sense.
>
> >Now to tell you the truth trying to match up my situation with this OOBE
> >thing is probably stretching it. Here is MY cause. When we remove
Windows
> >XP from a domain by removing the cable and then loging in with the
> >Administrator local account, we will find that Windows Disk Manager gives
> >the error as stated. Pretty simple.
> >
> >But I am going to try your idea now. Off line. Thanks.
> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original thread.
> If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
> from my email address before sending.

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:20:03 -0400, "George Hester"
<hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:

>No the machine was not in a position to be hooked up to the Network during
>the install. Please try to give me some credit.

Nor is my machine ever in a position to be hooked up to the Network
during the install, since I have NO connection to the Network until my
network card's software is installed AFTER XP is completely installed
and running. Yet I have never experienced your trouble, in almost 5
years since XP Beta 2 was released to testers.

I have also NEVER been denied an activation, either via the Internet
or toll-free number. Yet I have reinstalled and activated my OS MANY,
MANY times, sometimes in the same day.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
from my email address before sending.

So there goes all my disks Microsoft. Thanks bunch. May in Windows 2000?
No IS Windows 2000. Be Honest might start a whole new escapade Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328520

Also the hardware wizard leaves a lot to be desired. You forgot to include
no more support for ISA cards in the Documentation. No support for
Hardrives used in Windows 2000. What next you got up your sleeves? It's
been real.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

I am finding that the password is NOT being saved. Hence when I open OEX
the connection to the email account is being denied and I am getting errors.
When I bring up the Properties of the account I find the option to Save the
password is enabled but it does not work. I am queried to enter a passowrd
for the email account upon its connect failure. I do that and all is well
until I open OEX again at some later time. When that happens the option to
Save password there is greyed out not available and there is no passord
***** there. It is empty.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

--
Peter

What's your point Peter?

--
George Hester
_________________________________
> [...]

> "You
>> do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on computer name." And
>> that is what has happened to me. I removed the system from the Network
>> Connection to do some work on it and guess what? I can no longer access
>> Disk Manager. Whether it is hooked up to the Domain or not from Windows
> XP.
>> Believe it or not I CAN access the Disk Manager from the Domain
Controller
>> but no longer from Windows XP itself.
>>
>> Hence I have to re-install because of this issue. And to make sure I
> don't
>> experience it again I have to make sure I do it while on the Network. Or
>> maybe not. The point is this issue has existed for three years now. And
>> what we have here is all that has been said about the matter and likely

Did you expect anyone to read that?

> [...]
> Obviously this article implies that if we install Windows XP without a
> Network Connection then we run the risk of at some time in the future, "You
> do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on computer name." And
> that is what has happened to me. I removed the system from the Network
> Connection to do some work on it and guess what? I can no longer access
> Disk Manager. Whether it is hooked up to the Domain or not from Windows XP.
> Believe it or not I CAN access the Disk Manager from the Domain Controller
> but no longer from Windows XP itself.
>
> Hence I have to re-install because of this issue. And to make sure I don't
> experience it again I have to make sure I do it while on the Network. Or
> maybe not. The point is this issue has existed for three years now. And
> what we have here is all that has been said about the matter and likely ever

Do you still read /any/ posts by George?
--
~PA Bear

David Candy wrote:
> Did you expect anyone to read that?
>
> > Now I know you may think they do realize the issue because they have a
> > Knowledge Base article on the issue. But come'on how long has Windows
> > XP existed in the Market?
<snip>

I read it, and even glanced at the included MS link, and then wished I
hadn't ! :)

regards, Richard

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> [...]

> Network Connection then we run the risk of at some time in the future,
> "You
> do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on computer name." And
> that is what has happened to me. I removed the system from the Network
> Connection to do some work on it and guess what? I can no longer access
> Disk Manager. Whether it is hooked up to the Domain or not from Windows
> XP.
> Believe it or not I CAN access the Disk Manager from the Domain Controller
> but no longer from Windows XP itself.
>
> Hence I have to re-install because of this issue. And to make sure I
> don't
> experience it again I have to make sure I do it while on the Network. Or
> maybe not. The point is this issue has existed for three years now. And
> what we have here is all that has been said about the matter and likely

I never expect you Davd to do anything that takes a certain level of
intelligence. Move on.

--
George Hester
_________________________________

----------------------
> [...]
> Network Connection then we run the risk of at some time in the future,
"You
> do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on computer name." And
> that is what has happened to me. I removed the system from the Network
> Connection to do some work on it and guess what? I can no longer access
> Disk Manager. Whether it is hooked up to the Domain or not from Windows
XP.
> Believe it or not I CAN access the Disk Manager from the Domain Controller
> but no longer from Windows XP itself.
>
> Hence I have to re-install because of this issue. And to make sure I
don't
> experience it again I have to make sure I do it while on the Network. Or
> maybe not. The point is this issue has existed for three years now. And
> what we have here is all that has been said about the matter and likely

Aye, Richard J Kranium.

"RJK" <notatospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OlaeSDqsFHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> Network Connection then we run the risk of at some time in the future,
>> "You
>> do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on computer name." And
>> that is what has happened to me. I removed the system from the Network
>> Connection to do some work on it and guess what? I can no longer access
>> Disk Manager. Whether it is hooked up to the Domain or not from Windows
>> XP.
>> Believe it or not I CAN access the Disk Manager from the Domain Controller
>> but no longer from Windows XP itself.
>>
>> Hence I have to re-install because of this issue. And to make sure I
>> don't
>> experience it again I have to make sure I do it while on the Network. Or
>> maybe not. The point is this issue has existed for three years now. And
>> what we have here is all that has been said about the matter and likely

Well I don't know what to tell you. You never experienced the issue and I
did. So has another user I posted the link in this thread somewhere. Does
that mean we are all lying? Does that mean you support Microsoft when they
say they are looking into it and never do? Does that mean the article I was
referring to is not the correct one for this issue? Actually there is
another one: But it is related to trying to use the Decice Manager in
Windows XP to attach to Windows 2003 Server so I decided to not mention that
one because it depends on ports which isn't the case here.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:20:03 -0400, "George Hester"
> <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >No the machine was not in a position to be hooked up to the Network
during
> >the install. Please try to give me some credit.
>
> Nor is my machine ever in a position to be hooked up to the Network
> during the install, since I have NO connection to the Network until my
> network card's software is installed AFTER XP is completely installed
> and running. Yet I have never experienced your trouble, in almost 5
> years since XP Beta 2 was released to testers.
>
> I have also NEVER been denied an activation, either via the Internet
> or toll-free number. Yet I have reinstalled and activated my OS MANY,
> MANY times, sometimes in the same day.
>
> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original thread.
> If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
> from my email address before sending.

You are wrong. If Microsoft says they are working on the issue you can bet
your bottom dollar it has been forgotten. Would you like to see a Knowledge
Base article that discusses an issue in MS-DOS or in Internet Information
Services 2.0 or Windows NT 3.51 that says the exact same thing? No you
wouldn't because you think I am making it all up. Well so you say.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:17:41 -0400, "George Hester"
> <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Reinstall was necessary. Now I just have to figure what happened so that
> >don't do it again. But to be honest with you I think it is a flaw in
this
> >operating sytem and I am not the first to experience it nor will I be the
> >last. Of course with the level of feedback I received by my post I can
> >understand why the issue will likely never be fixed. Out all who took
the
> >time to respond I wish to extend my thanks to Jon. Jon we need more like
> >you here.
>
> I'm really sorry you didn't like the truth, my friend. That's all I
> have to give. If Microsoft says they are working on the issue, they
> are, you can bet on it.
>
> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original thread.
> If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
> from my email address before sending.

He does for the same reason you do PA Bear. Because even though we don't
like to see blood we still rubberneck anyway.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
> Do you still read /any/ posts by George?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> David Candy wrote:
> > Did you expect anyone to read that?
> >
> > > Now I know you may think they do realize the issue because they have a
> > > Knowledge Base article on the issue. But come'on how long has Windows
> > > XP existed in the Market?
> <snip>

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

You're welcome George. Thanks for the kind words. You can come again! :)

Jon

> [...]
> "You
>> do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on computer name." And
>> that is what has happened to me. I removed the system from the Network
>> Connection to do some work on it and guess what? I can no longer access
>> Disk Manager. Whether it is hooked up to the Domain or not from Windows
> XP.
>> Believe it or not I CAN access the Disk Manager from the Domain
>> Controller
>> but no longer from Windows XP itself.
>>
>> Hence I have to re-install because of this issue. And to make sure I
> don't
>> experience it again I have to make sure I do it while on the Network. Or
>> maybe not. The point is this issue has existed for three years now. And
>> what we have here is all that has been said about the matter and likely

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

IMHO Microsoft should have made a new and corrected version
of XP, incorporating the many known security loopholes, and all
of the other thousands of patches in the service packs and cumulative
updates. The new version should be called XP Second Edition.
It will of course be free to everyone owning a legitimate copy of
XP. That's what I'd do if I had 50 billion smackeroos.