Desktop icons and their position

Dear All,

Does anyone knows where Windows XP
stores the position of each desktop icon on the desktop?
so that i will be able to make a backup of their positions
in the rear event all icons line up on the left side of the desktop.

Thanking you in advance,
Carlos.
4 answers Last reply
More about desktop icons position

    Carlos Martinez wrote:

    > Dear All,
    >
    > Does anyone knows where Windows XP
    > stores the position of each desktop icon on the desktop?
    > so that i will be able to make a backup of their positions
    > in the rear event all icons line up on the left side of the desktop.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance,
    > Carlos.

    Use the edit from Kelly's site at
    Line 188: Add Save & Restore Desktop Layout to Menu

    This will add two entries to the right click menu that's displayed when
    right clicking on a blank area of the desktop - one to save the layout
    and one to restore it.

    See the top of the page for info on running the edit.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Desktop Layout is saved here...

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:urFMIBqsFHA.4052@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Carlos Martinez <carlos777mart@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > Does anyone knows where Windows XP
    > stores the position of each desktop icon on the desktop?
    > so that i will be able to make a backup of their positions
    > in the rear event all icons line up on the left side of the desktop.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance,
    > Carlos.

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 13:40:54 -0600 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Wesley Vogel favored us with...
    > Desktop Layout is saved here...
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop

    Great tip -- thanks!

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
    days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

    Carlos Martinez <carlos777mart@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Dear All,

    > Does anyone knows where Windows XP
    > stores the position of each desktop icon on the desktop?
    > so that i will be able to make a backup of their positions
    > in the rear event all icons line up on the left side of the desktop.

    there's a util/hack out there for doing this exactly, look here:

    http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?s=f96faa9ec61000daae2402d709c39f4d&act=Attach&type=post&id=11269&index=0&mid=0

    [the hack adds two right-click items to My Computer, Save Desktop Layout
    and Restore Desktop Layout.]

    this same/similar hack is avail in many places, just google for layout.dll

Desktops Microsoft Desktop Icons Windows XP