  • Microsoft
  • Desktop Icons
  • Windows XP
September 6, 2005 12:02:52 PM

Dear All,

Does anyone knows where Windows XP
stores the position of each desktop icon on the desktop?
so that i will be able to make a backup of their positions
in the rear event all icons line up on the left side of the desktop.

Thanking you in advance,
Carlos.

More about : desktop icons position

September 6, 2005 12:02:53 PM

Carlos Martinez wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Does anyone knows where Windows XP
> stores the position of each desktop icon on the desktop?
> so that i will be able to make a backup of their positions
> in the rear event all icons line up on the left side of the desktop.
>
> Thanking you in advance,
> Carlos.

Use the edit from Kelly's site at
Line 188: Add Save & Restore Desktop Layout to Menu

This will add two entries to the right click menu that's displayed when
right clicking on a blank area of the desktop - one to save the layout
and one to restore it.

See the top of the page for info on running the edit.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Desktop Layout is saved here...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:urFMIBqsFHA.4052@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Carlos Martinez <carlos777mart@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Dear All,
>
> Does anyone knows where Windows XP
> stores the position of each desktop icon on the desktop?
> so that i will be able to make a backup of their positions
> in the rear event all icons line up on the left side of the desktop.
>
> Thanking you in advance,
> Carlos.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 3:44:19 PM

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 13:40:54 -0600 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Wesley Vogel favored us with...
> Desktop Layout is saved here...
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop

Great tip -- thanks!

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child
September 7, 2005 6:18:24 PM

Carlos Martinez <carlos777mart@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,

> Does anyone knows where Windows XP
> stores the position of each desktop icon on the desktop?
> so that i will be able to make a backup of their positions
> in the rear event all icons line up on the left side of the desktop.

there's a util/hack out there for doing this exactly, look here:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?s=f96faa9...

[the hack adds two right-click items to My Computer, Save Desktop Layout
and Restore Desktop Layout.]

this same/similar hack is avail in many places, just google for layout.dll