How long to Install SP2

mb

I have Broadband.
Dell Dim 2400 XP SP1 (HOME).

If I go to Update site, how long should it take to install SP2??

MB

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>I have Broadband.
> Dell Dim 2400 XP SP1 (HOME).
>
> If I go to Update site, how long should it take to install SP2??
>
> MB

********************************
On my PC, a Dell 4300 with 512 MB & 1.8Ghz P4 & Broadband

It took 50 minutes to do the complete installation, with the front end
download of 76Mb from Microsoft taking about 15 minutes.

I have had no problems and the changes were less than I expected.

Speug, 30 Aug 04

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:34:32 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net>
wrote:

>I have Broadband.
>Dell Dim 2400 XP SP1 (HOME).
>
>If I go to Update site, how long should it take to install SP2??
>
>MB

It took me about 55 minutes start to finish.. seamless and painless

pixie

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

>I have Broadband.
>Dell Dim 2400 XP SP1 (HOME).
>
>If I go to Update site, how long should it take to install SP2??

My experience mirrors the responses of others here, probably
45-60 minutes.

Note: I have kept up with all XP security upgrades. Since SP2
is a *cumulative* upgrade, as well as introducing new stuff, it
will install all prior security upgrades that you haven't yet
done. If you've shied away from them, your install might take a
bit longer.

Allow another 30 minute or so for pooking around your new SP2
installation. Using my installation as an example:

Didn't recognize the freebie Zone Alarm, and activated the
Windows Firewall. I had to go back and turn the Windows Firewall
off.

Installations of Norton AV 2003 and earlier aren't eligible for
the Symantec upgrade that allows NAV to tell the new SP2
"Security Manager" "Here I am, I am up-to-date, and working hard
to protect OJ's computer from Bad Things[TM]." Thus, as with
Zone Alarm, I had to tell the "Security Manager" "Mother, I'd
rather do it myself." for both the firewall and anti-virus status
checks. Leaving the Security Manager nothing to do but see that
I have AutoUpdate enabled.

Since I use a freebie Pop-Up stopper, and activate it only when
I'm at a site that /needs/ pop-up stops, SP2 didn't recognize
that either, and turned on IE6's new pop-up stopper. Since I
like the way I'm doing it now, I turned that off too.

You will probably find a lot of things like that, which is why
you need to allow some time /after/ the SP2 install to check
things out, and reconfigure some of the "Bill Gates knows best"
features of SP2 to work the way you want them to, and not the way
Bill Gates wants them to. ;->
--
OJ III

Took less than an hour. Surprisingly simple and painless.

Running a reasonably new Dim 4600.

Steve

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>I have Broadband.
> Dell Dim 2400 XP SP1 (HOME).
>
> If I go to Update site, how long should it take to install SP2??
>
> MB

Took about forty minutes from start to finish with no problems at all.

Rufus

"Steve Dell" <stevedell@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Took less than an hour. Surprisingly simple and painless.
>
> Running a reasonably new Dim 4600.
>
> Steve
>

> "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>>I have Broadband.
>> Dell Dim 2400 XP SP1 (HOME).
>>
>> If I go to Update site, how long should it take to install SP2??
>>
>> MB

mb

Yep --- I just bit the bullet, held my breath, and did the deed!!!

It took 55 minutes.

It seems to be working just fine (printer, flash memory, etc. are working).

It may be taking a bit longer to boot up.

Mel
"Steve Dell" <stevedell@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Took less than an hour. Surprisingly simple and painless.
>
> Running a reasonably new Dim 4600.
>
> Steve
>

> "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>>I have Broadband.
>> Dell Dim 2400 XP SP1 (HOME).
>>
>> If I go to Update site, how long should it take to install SP2??
>>
>> MB

TRENDING THREADS