Sign in with
Your question

I'm a newbie! Please help with 1st build!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 21, 2003 6:03:48 PM

This OK for new system?

P4 2.8 800Mhz
Abit socket 478 IS7 (or ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE, can't decide)
Corsair DDR SDRAM 512 MB (2x256)
Western Digital Caviar WD1200JB Special Edition , 120GB
ATI Radeon All-in Wonder 9800 pro
NEC ND1300A 19" CRT
Sony 4X DVD?±RW Writer (are 8x twice as fast? Plextor?)
Windows XP Pro

I'll use on-board sound. How about a case? I would like something with front USB (2.0) and firewire (for video editing) on the front of the case so it is easy to get to.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help and advice!
Ed

More about : newbie 1st build

December 21, 2003 7:36:10 PM

how's this antec case;

"PLUS1080AMG
Metallic Gray SOHO file server

VIEW:
Large
Inside
Back
Package

Features:
Thermally Advantaged Chassis 3.0 Ghz compatible
TruePower - quieter, more stable, more powerful
Front mounted USB & IEEE 1394 (FireWire®, i.Link®) ports
Washable Air filter on the front
Lockable swing out side panel with a handle
- Quick release drive bays with release lever
- Snap-in fan mounts
Drive rails for 5.25" devices
Removable Side Panels
Removable Drive Cages for 3.5” drives
10 Drive Bays:
- External: 4 x 5.25", 2x 3.5"
- Internal: 4 x 3.5"
Cooling capacity: up to 5 x 80mm fans
- 2 rear (installed)
- 1 front (optional)
- 1 HDD (optional)
- 1 side panel (installed)
Motherboards up to Extended ATX"-Antec
December 21, 2003 11:56:31 PM

Nice setup, except if you want to you can save $40 and go with the 2.6c. The just overclock it a bit and you have a 2.8 processor.

Anxiously awaiting prescott....is it here yet?
Related resources
December 22, 2003 12:26:59 AM

That antec case is sweet. I have the 1030 or 1040 I think it is. Same basic design really, just no front usb/firewire and it came with a 300 W supply (upgraded to 480 now). Great case.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
December 22, 2003 12:32:30 AM

That looks like a good system. The 2.6 is a bit better value and overclocks well. I'm sure right now you won't really notice the difference between 2.6 and 2.8, the extra money is always nice, and you can always o/c later if/when you're more comfortable with it.

WD makes great drives. Glad to see you chose them.

The AIW 9800 is an amazing card. You'll be happy with that. It comes with connectors up the arse so you'll make good use of it.

The DVD+/-RW is a good choice. Plextor is the best, but they are way more expensive than anyone else. Also the 8x only burns +R media at 8x, and still does 4x on the -R media.

I don't have a burner right now, but when I get one, I'll definitely be saving up the $$$ to go with the plextor.

Just make sure you get the retail cpu so you get a heatsink/fan combo with it, and consider getting a floppy drive as well. They're cheap and still come in handy sometimes.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.
December 22, 2003 3:10:18 AM

I love my floppy drive. I don't really use it anymore.. but i'll never go without one. I still use boot disks here and there.
In fact.. now to think about it.. what is another reason we would use one anymore other than boot disks?
DOS games?
Does the antec cases come with actual antec power supplies?

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Johanthegnarler on 12/22/03 00:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 22, 2003 4:07:12 AM

Looks like a nice set of components. I personally like Asus, but I've heard that Asus P4C & P4P boards and Corsair Memory don't always play well together. The Kingston Hyper-X 3500 memory seems more stable and overclocks well. Currently a P4C 2.6 GHz processor seems to be at the best point on the price performance curve. This processor should easily go to 3.0 GHz and most likely 3.2 GHz if you have the power and the cooling. Actually if you don’t over-clock and spend lots of time looking at silly benchmark numbers you won’t know the difference.

Speaking of power and cooling, I also have an AIW 9800Pro, great card but uses lots of power and generates lots of heat. Memory and Home Theater 200 chips run hot, especially the Home Theater chip.

Make sure your case has plenty of cooling and a good quality power supply if you are going to use this card!!!! I recommend at least 400 W. Lots of good power supply suggestions on this sight.

I also have the Sony drive and it's fine. Plextor is a lot more money. Good luck.

ZZSpaceman
December 22, 2003 1:25:50 PM

I have the Antec 1080AMG. Great case. Comes with true power 430 Psu.
December 22, 2003 1:27:03 PM

Your right about IS7. Love mine.
December 22, 2003 9:54:20 PM

Yep they do. Great supplies. I love the SATA power connectors on my new antec supply too :) 

!