How do I create restore points on a schedule (e.g., every day or so or
some number/frequency other than the default) by editing the registry?
I remember seeing an article giving me those parameters, but I can't
locate it.
--
Athlon 1900+ over clocked to 1620 MHz
Asus A7M266, AMD761 chip set

Hi

System Restore checkpoints are created automatically every 24 hours.
However if you wish to have them created more often than that:

Navigate to the following key in the Registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient

then double click SpecialPollInterval in the right hand column and select
Decimal. Change the value (in seconds) to whatever you like. I have mine
set to 86400 (24 hours).

Please backup the Registry before you manually edit it.

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Will Denny wrote:

> Hi
>
> System Restore checkpoints are created automatically every 24 hours.
> However if you wish to have them created more often than that:
>
> Navigate to the following key in the Registry
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient
>
> then double click SpecialPollInterval in the right hand column and select
> Decimal. Change the value (in seconds) to whatever you like. I have mine
> set to 86400 (24 hours).
>
> Please backup the Registry before you manually edit it.

Thanx Will. But just so you know, OEM packages of Windows have it set
otherwise. Mine is every 7 days - NG.

--
System A
Athlon 1900+ overclocked to 1620 MHz
Asus A7M266, AMD761 chipset
ATI AIW Radeon, 32MB
758 MB DDR, PC2100
Western Digital HDD - 80 & 20GB
Seagate External HDD - 160GB
LiteOn 16x DVD-ROM
LiteOn 52x/24x/52x CD-RW
D-Link DFE-530TX+ NIC
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy with 1394 (OEM)
Windows XP Pro SP2

Lisa,

See "To Create a System Restore Point" section in this article:

How To Use the System Restore Utility with Windows Management
Instrumentation in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295299

You can save the script / contents to Notepad, and save as CreateSRP.VBS.
This VBS can be scheduled to run at required intervals, using Task
Scheduler.

Alternately, you can change the SR Checkpoint frequencies by altering the
registry values:. More Info is available here:

The Registry Keys and Values for the System Restore Utility:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295659

System Restore Scripts:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srscripts.html

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Lisa West" <lisaj@NO_SPAM.si.rr.com.NO_CAPS> wrote in message
> How do I create restore points on a schedule (e.g., every day or so or
> some number/frequency other than the default) by editing the registry? I
> remember seeing an article giving me those parameters, but I can't locate
> it.
> --
> Athlon 1900+ over clocked to 1620 MHz
> Asus A7M266, AMD761 chip set
> ATI AIW Radeon, 32 MB
> 758 MB DDR, PC2100
> Western Digital HDD - 80 & 20 GB
> Seagate External HDD - 160 GB
> LiteOn 16x DVD-ROM
> LiteOn 52x/24x/52x CD-RW
> D-Link DFE-530TX+ NCI
> Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy with 1394 (OEM)
> Windows XP Pro SP2

That edit is for altering the W32Time Internet Time update frequency. Will
may have posted that by mistake.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Will Denny wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> System Restore checkpoints are created automatically every 24 hours.
>> However if you wish to have them created more often than that:
>>
>> Navigate to the following key in the Registry
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient
>>
>> then double click SpecialPollInterval in the right hand column and select
>> Decimal. Change the value (in seconds) to whatever you like. I have
>> mine set to 86400 (24 hours).
>>
>> Please backup the Registry before you manually edit it.
>>
> Thanx Will. But just so you know, OEM packages of Windows have it set
> otherwise. Mine is every 7 days - NG.
>
> --
> System A
> Athlon 1900+ overclocked to 1620 MHz
> Asus A7M266, AMD761 chipset
> ATI AIW Radeon, 32MB
> 758 MB DDR, PC2100
> Western Digital HDD - 80 & 20GB
> Seagate External HDD - 160GB
> LiteOn 16x DVD-ROM
> LiteOn 52x/24x/52x CD-RW
> D-Link DFE-530TX+ NIC
> Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy with 1394 (OEM)
> Windows XP Pro SP2

Thanks Ramesh - it is indeed for the Internet Time creation. It's still
early here :)

Lisa

Navigate to:

NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore

in the right hand pane double click on RPGlobalInterval and change the
Decimal value to seconds. Mine is set to 86400 (24 hours).

--

> That edit is for altering the W32Time Internet Time update frequency. Will
> may have posted that by mistake.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Lisa West" <lisaj@NO_SPAM.si.rr.com.NO_CAPS> wrote in message
>> Will Denny wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> System Restore checkpoints are created automatically every 24 hours.
>>> However if you wish to have them created more often than that:
>>>
>>> Navigate to the following key in the Registry
>>>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient
>>>
>>> then double click SpecialPollInterval in the right hand column and
>>> select Decimal. Change the value (in seconds) to whatever you like. I
>>> have mine set to 86400 (24 hours).
>>>
>>> Please backup the Registry before you manually edit it.
>>>
>> Thanx Will. But just so you know, OEM packages of Windows have it set
>> otherwise. Mine is every 7 days - NG.
>>
>> --
>> System A
>> Athlon 1900+ overclocked to 1620 MHz
>> Asus A7M266, AMD761 chipset
>> ATI AIW Radeon, 32MB
>> 758 MB DDR, PC2100
>> Western Digital HDD - 80 & 20GB
>> Seagate External HDD - 160GB
>> LiteOn 16x DVD-ROM
>> LiteOn 52x/24x/52x CD-RW
>> D-Link DFE-530TX+ NIC
>> Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy with 1394 (OEM)
>> Windows XP Pro SP2

No problem, Will :)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP