Wrong adaptor used on laptop, can it cause a problem?

I ordered a used adaptor off of e-bay to replace my current adapter
where the wiring got damaged.

The numbnuts at the company I ordered it from sent me the wrong part
not once, but twice. The first time, I was home and caught it. The
second time, my wife was home and plugged it in.

My concern is that even though it fit, it could have caused damage to
the computer. The adaptor we received was a two prong, the one that
broke was three prong. The new one is a PA 2, the broken one is a PA
6.

WIll this cause a problem? I've unplugged it and don't plan on using
it, but I want to make sure we haven't harmed anything.

Eugene

Darren Yatadooet wrote:

> I ordered a used adaptor off of e-bay to replace my current adapter
> where the wiring got damaged.
>
> The numbnuts at the company I ordered it from sent me the wrong part
> not once, but twice. The first time, I was home and caught it. The
> second time, my wife was home and plugged it in.
>
> My concern is that even though it fit, it could have caused damage to
> the computer. The adaptor we received was a two prong, the one that
> broke was three prong. The new one is a PA 2, the broken one is a PA
> 6.
>
> WIll this cause a problem? I've unplugged it and don't plan on using
> it, but I want to make sure we haven't harmed anything.
All the dell adapters I have list the pinouts and voltage on them. If the
voltage is the same and the right pin has the positive and negative then it
wouldn't hurt.