MN520's firewall and XP's built in firewall

Being somewhat of a novice, I'd like to ask if the experts
here would advise me to activate XP's built in firewall to
run alongside the firewall built into the MN520.

I've had the router for several months now and have had
absolutely no problems using it. I have one machine
directly connected to it and a notebook and PocketPC that
access it wirelessly without any issues at all.

The router's firewall is active of course and currently I
have the windows xp (professional) software firewall
inactive.

I downloaded SP2 and installed it but I have yet to
actually use my PC after the installation (will do so
after I get back from work tonight). Should the Software
firewall be active as well? I understand SP2 has it
active by default.

Thanks!

Manoj

joker

The software firewall will be active after the Install of SP2. I
haven't had it cause any problems so far. Besides Windows will complain
if you don't have at least a software firewall & it can't detect a
hardware firewall as far as I can tell.

So I'd just leave the firewall enabled. You may need to make some minor
changes in it to allow for file & printer sharing, but that's about all
you have to do.

Manoj Bhupatrai wrote:

> Being somewhat of a novice, I'd like to ask if the experts
> here would advise me to activate XP's built in firewall to
> run alongside the firewall built into the MN520.
>
> I've had the router for several months now and have had
> absolutely no problems using it. I have one machine
> directly connected to it and a notebook and PocketPC that
> access it wirelessly without any issues at all.
>
> The router's firewall is active of course and currently I
> have the windows xp (professional) software firewall
> inactive.
>
> I downloaded SP2 and installed it but I have yet to
> actually use my PC after the installation (will do so
> after I get back from work tonight). Should the Software
> firewall be active as well? I understand SP2 has it
> active by default.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Manoj

Thanks for your reply.

Got home and everything seems to be working perfectly. I
detect a bit of a delay when first bringing up webpages
which, I suspect, is due to the software firewall. No
major issues beyond that.

IM is working fine. VPN is fine. Haven't done any
gaming yet, though.

The notebook which connects wireless hasn't been upgraded
to SP 2 yet, but that's a job for another day.

Thanks again!

Manoj