Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrade from 98

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:12:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

I have windows 98 running for years now. So far - it does what I need. Is
there any reason for me to update to XP?

Thanks.

More about : upgrade

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:12:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Only if you discover something lacking.

S. Diego wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have windows 98 running for years now. So far - it does what I need. Is
> there any reason for me to update to XP?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:20:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Subject: Re: Upgrade from 98

Well, you know what they say: "if it ain`t broken - don`t fix it!"
Besides, if youi have 98 running for several years now, its most likely running on the same machine which is probably a pentium 3 or lower running 400MHz, with that kind of equipment - stick to 98..
Related resources
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 5:41:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:ef6xWrrsFHA.1788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
S. Diego <sdiego@hotmail.com> typed:

> I have windows 98 running for years now. So far - it does what
> I
> need. Is there any reason for me to update to XP?


My view is that you're going about this backward. A change of
operating system should be driven by need, not just because there
is a new version available. Are you having a problem with Windows
98 that you expect XP to solve? Do you have or expect to get new
hardware or software that is supported in XP, but not in 98? Is
there some new feature in XP that you need or yearn for? Does
your job require you have skills in XP? Are you a computer
hobbyist who enjoys playing with whatever is newest?



If the answer to one or more of those questions is yes (and your
hardware is adequate for XP), then you should get XP. Otherwise
most people should stick with what they have. There is *always* a
learning curve and a potential for problems when you take a step
as big as this one, regardless of how wonderful whatever you're
contemplating moving to is. Sooner or later you'll have to
upgrade (to XP or its successor) because you'll want support for
hardware or software that you can't get in 98, but don't rush it.

I say all the above despite the fact that I'm a big XP fan. I
think it's the best and most stable of all versions of Windows.


--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 11:06:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

S. Diego wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have windows 98 running for years now. So far - it does what I need. Is
> there any reason for me to update to XP?
>
> Thanks.
>
>


If your computer does everything that you need or want it to do, then
there's no reason for you to upgrade. (Until the computer eventually
"dies," of course.)


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 11:30:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"S. Diego" <sdiego@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ef6xWrrsFHA.1788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I have windows 98 running for years now. So far - it does what I need. Is
> there any reason for me to update to XP?
>
> Thanks.
>

AFAIR, Microsoft will cease supporting Win98 on 30 June 2006.
Other software suppliers will immediately follow suit. This means
that you may no longer be able to install new software or to upgrade
your virus scanner pattern files.
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 11:30:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
news:o UXZpWssFHA.912@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>
> "S. Diego" <sdiego@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ef6xWrrsFHA.1788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have windows 98 running for years now. So far - it does what I need. Is
>> there any reason for me to update to XP?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>
> AFAIR, Microsoft will cease supporting Win98 on 30 June 2006.
> Other software suppliers will immediately follow suit. This means
> that you may no longer be able to install new software or to upgrade
> your virus scanner pattern files.
>
>
Not quite true -
While MS will cease all support in the near future (
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?C2=1139 )
it's very much up to the suppliers when they cease support for their own
hardware/software - many have already ceased support for Win 98 (if not also
for Win 98SE and/or ME).
Most new hardware coming out now is not compatible with Win98 (although it
*may* be compatible with Win 98SE).
Very little professionally-written software currently is written for Win
9x - except for specialist houses.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 11:30:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Your post leaves a very strong impression of facts which are not in
evidence. I see you used the word "may" but the whole concept is a little
out there.

Just because Microsoft is discontinuing support for the product does not
mean you suddenly *magically* can not install software.

To the OP:o n the realistic side, I am sure you already are experiencing
having a hard time finding software designed for your OS and hardware.

NT 4 is no longer under standard support, but somehow Symantec keeps making
sure its software runs on that platform and updates with no issues.



--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)
MCT, Certified Cheese Master

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman
"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
news:o UXZpWssFHA.912@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>
> "S. Diego" <sdiego@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ef6xWrrsFHA.1788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have windows 98 running for years now. So far - it does what I need. Is
>> there any reason for me to update to XP?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>
> AFAIR, Microsoft will cease supporting Win98 on 30 June 2006.
> Other software suppliers will immediately follow suit. This means
> that you may no longer be able to install new software or to upgrade
> your virus scanner pattern files.
>
>
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 2:16:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I hear what you say and I try to reconcile it with the fact
that Trend Internet Security could no longer be installed
on WinNT after Microsoft ceased their support for this
OS. The same goes for Trend and Win98 (but not Win98SE).

Is in the commercial interest for software companies
to keep the number of supported platforms to a minimum.
Many follow more or less the lead given by Microsoft.


"Manny Borges" <manny_borges@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o du7E8ssFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Your post leaves a very strong impression of facts which are not in
> evidence. I see you used the word "may" but the whole concept is a little
> out there.
>
> Just because Microsoft is discontinuing support for the product does not
> mean you suddenly *magically* can not install software.
>
> To the OP:o n the realistic side, I am sure you already are experiencing
> having a hard time finding software designed for your OS and hardware.
>
> NT 4 is no longer under standard support, but somehow Symantec keeps
making
> sure its software runs on that platform and updates with no issues.
>
>
>
> --
> Manny Borges
> MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)
> MCT, Certified Cheese Master
>
> The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
> -- Marty Feldman
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> news:o UXZpWssFHA.912@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> >
> > "S. Diego" <sdiego@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:ef6xWrrsFHA.1788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have windows 98 running for years now. So far - it does what I need.
Is
> >> there any reason for me to update to XP?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >
> > AFAIR, Microsoft will cease supporting Win98 on 30 June 2006.
> > Other software suppliers will immediately follow suit. This means
> > that you may no longer be able to install new software or to upgrade
> > your virus scanner pattern files.
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 9:06:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In news:ef6xWrrsFHA.1788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
S. Diego <sdiego@hotmail.com> replied with a ;-)
> Hi,
>
> I have windows 98 running for years now. So far - it does what I
> need. Is there any reason for me to update to XP?
>
> Thanks.

Nope, get a new system when you fel 98 is not enough.

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...
!