Sign in with
Your question

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x0000001a on a new build

Last response: in Windows 7
November 18, 2012 8:53:19 PM

Okay, this build for a friend is really beginning to bug me in the 'I've convinced him that building is the right way to go, and everything that can go wrong has gone wrong' sort of way.

I've built many computers before, but this one certainly takes the cake in terms of issues.

It is a brand new build:

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3770 BX80637i73770 CPU

Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC 2GB GPU

Crucial CT256M4SSD2CCA 256GB m4 SSD

OCZ OCZ-ZS750W ZS 750w PSU

and other misc stuff like case, CD drive, etc etc.

Now, first put it together, fire it up, works fine, go to install windows, blue screen on install. Great.

Tried again, another blue screen on install. Made a new boot disk. Blue screened on that, too. (keep in mind I've used this disk in the past)

Then I made a USB boot-able install disk. That failed too.

Fine. Its not the disk.

So then I pulled one of the ram chips out. Nothing. Still crashes. Pulled the other out. Whoa, it worked!

Put it back in, it failed. Pulled it out, it worked again. Okay then.

Told my friend to RMA the ram, and then just use one stick for now. When he got home, it began to crash again. He re-seated the ram, tried different slots, nothing.

The computer settled into this routine where it would refuse to start on the first three or four attempts, and then finally it would go, and then have random crashes. On a new OS install on brand new parts.

So we got the RMA'd ram back, put it in. New ram this time. Well, new new.

It crashed, so we did an OS install (again) for the fifteenth time, and once again, it got into a boot loop of crashes, that reacted to ram changes. Okay then, I'll run the Windows memory check program, (which passed with flying colors).

So then, running low on ideas, we RMA'd the motherboard, since on another friend's build, the motherboard caused all sorts of intermittent issues, as it was a defect.

So we got the new motherboard back, swapped it. Initially, things worked. But then I installed the Video drivers and then it blue screened on boot and went into a loop. I removed the drivers, and it still did it. Removed the video card entirely, and it still did it.

Another fresh OS install (on a disk I had just used on my laptop so I knew it worked) and it still didn't work. Tried another disk drive, even. Still blue screening.

So, drawing straws at this point, and taking a recommendation from a friend, they suggested it might be the SSD.

Okay, fine. I pulled a spare SATA HDD and installed it there. Worked perfectly.

FINALLY. I thought it was all over. Weeks of frustration over this cursed machine would be over. Ran numerous tests without a hitch. Everything was happy.

Got the new SSD in (delayed a week due to Sandy which wrecked my area a tad) and put it in. Flawless install, flawless updating, flawless boot ups and shutdowns, and the thing worked perfectly for days.

Until today, and its doing the same crap all over again! Needing start up repair three or four times to turn on, and crashing intermittently for no foreseeable reason! I'm running out of parts to replace at this point and wits to guess what it is, hence why I'm coming here.

I have a bsod shot here:

and a selection of minidump files.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xf044s3zjulr2jm

So yeah. I'm at a loss. Please help.

-ITman496

EDIT:

After looking through the Minidumps, the error appears to be:

ntoskrnl.exe+705c0

across all of them, except for the first.

I really hope this doesn't turn into it being the CPU..
November 20, 2012 10:47:25 PM

Just gonna RMA the CPU since I'm at a loss as what else to do.

I read that Ivy bridge houses the memory controller in the cpu instead of the motherboard, so I guess me replacing the motherboard was kind of pointless.
m
l
February 26, 2013 11:29:03 PM

I'm having a whole plethora of problems much like yours with my recent build. I, too, have built many computers. I convinced my brothers to let me build them one and BAM problem after problem. I get the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSOD as well as the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error. None of the errors shine light on what component is failing.

Let me know if the new mobo helps you. I may replace mine as well.
m
l
February 27, 2013 3:24:26 AM

Don't replace the mobo. Run a ram check, memtest86 or something.

What actually happened was that they had sent us defective ram TWICE. On the third time, I finally got good ram. That was the issue.

It really tripped me up because I mean really. How often do you get two sets of bad ram?
m
l
!