Faulty keyboard behaviour

In a CMD prompt when I press the | character I get Alt 224 rather than Alt
124, this is causing huge issues as they look similar but are totally
different characters.

How can I fix this?
3 answers Last reply
More about faulty keyboard behaviour

    Sorry 221 and 124 not 224

    Sounds like you have the wrong keyboard driver available in DOS mode - it
    would by default assume a US keyboard, and yours is a UK keyboard
    Check your settings in Regional Settings and make sure that they're correct.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@aol.com> wrote on Tue, 6 Sep 2005:

    >Sounds like you have the wrong keyboard driver available in DOS mode - it
    >would by default assume a US keyboard, and yours is a UK keyboard
    >Check your settings in Regional Settings and make sure that they're correct.

    It isn't that, Noel. It's a Windows thing I never heard of until today.

    I found I have the same problem as Martin, and not just in a Command
    window either -- the same is true in Notepad, Word and every other
    Windows program. My keyboard is set to United Kingdom and in every other
    way behaves as a correctly brought-up UK keyboard should, i.e. GB pound
    sign, #, @, quotes and apostrophe all in their correct places as per
    what's printed on the keycaps.

    Martin, have you tried the broken bar key (Shift-backslash, to the left
    of Z)? What I'm finding is that on my keyboard the vertical line or pipe
    (Alt-124 |) and the broken bar (Alt-221 ¦) are transposed, despite what
    it says on the keytop. I have a Microsoft keyboard and I'm betting you
    do, too.

    I found this at Wikipedia which may explain the mystery:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#UK

    <quote> --------------------------------------------
    The key to the immediate left of numeral 1 (backtick, `) gives (logical
    NOT, ¬) when shifted (instead of ~) and with AltGr either

    * vertical bar | (OS/2's UK166 keyboard layout, Linux UK keyboard
    layout, and as usually printed on the keytop on keyboards sold in the
    UK),
    or
    * broken vertical bar ¦ (Microsoft Windows' UK keyboard layout);

    The key to the immediate left of Z gives, when shifted, either

    * broken vertical bar ¦ (OS/2's UK166 keyboard layout and as usually
    printed on the keytop on keyboards sold in the UK),
    or
    * vertical bar | (Microsoft Windows' UK keyboard layout and Linux UK
    keyboard layout).
    </quote> -------------------------------------------

    So it would seem we've got standard UK keycap layout, but what prints is
    Microsoft Windows UK layout, whatever that may be :-) You can see it by
    going to Windows Keyboard Layouts at Microsoft:
    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/keyboards.mspx
    and choosing UK keyboard. Press the Alt Gr or Shift key to see the keys
    in question. It's quite hard to see the difference at this small size,
    but if you hover your mouse over them an info-tip will pop up confirming
    that the characters are swapped from where we would expect them to be.

    Martin, hope it's some comfort to know your keyboard isn't faulty, and
    that you can still access the character you need.

    --
    Nightowl

Keyboards Microsoft Command Prompt Windows XP