I have a couple of AVI files which I am unable to delete - WIndows claims
they are open. Upon further digging, I've discovered that they're in use by
explorer.exe.

Can any of you kind people tell me how to remove the offending files? Seems
a bit silly that they're still there.

Try it in Safe Mode

Matt L wrote:

> I have a couple of AVI files which I am unable to delete - WIndows claims
> they are open. Upon further digging, I've discovered that they're in use by
> explorer.exe.
>
> Can any of you kind people tell me how to remove the offending files? Seems
> a bit silly that they're still there.

Or Google for DELLATER.

---
It's easy to make a decision when there are no options.

Hi

Try deleting those files via a command prompt.

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"Matt L" <MattL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a couple of AVI files which I am unable to delete - WIndows claims
> they are open. Upon further digging, I've discovered that they're in use
> by
> explorer.exe.
>
> Can any of you kind people tell me how to remove the offending files?
> Seems
> a bit silly that they're still there.

> "Matt L" <MattL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a couple of AVI files which I am unable to delete - WIndows
>> claims they are open. Upon further digging, I've discovered that
>> they're in use by explorer.exe.

Could be that Explorer.exe is in the process of scanning the file to
find out 'stuff' about it. The movies length, resolution & bitrate,
stuff like that. For large AVI-format files on slow computers it can
take a while.

If and where the interface is where you can easily tell Explorer/Windows
to stop sniffing media-files, especially this slow AVI sniffing, i don't
know. Anyone?

>> Can any of you kind people tell me how to remove the offending
>> files? Seems a bit silly that they're still there.

Try waiting a bit after marking (clicking on) the file, before pressing
the keyboards delete-key.

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

.... et al. wrote:
> Could be that Explorer.exe is in the process of scanning the file to
> find out 'stuff' about it. The movies length, resolution & bitrate,
> stuff like that. For large AVI-format files on slow computers it can
> take a while.
>
> If and where the interface is where you can easily tell
> Explorer/Windows to stop sniffing media-files, especially this slow
> AVI sniffing, i don't know. Anyone?
>
>> Can any of you kind people tell me how to remove the offending
>> files? Seems a bit silly that they're still there.
>
> Try waiting a bit after marking (clicking on) the file, before
> pressing the keyboards delete-key.

Easy interface is relative to your knowledge level, I suppose, but..

Also - most of the time these files can be deleted in Safe Mode or by
rebooting and getting to the directory through Command Prompt only - no
Windows Explorer involvement - even in the deletion. A script would work as
well.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley wrote:

> ... et al. wrote:
>
>>Could be that Explorer.exe is in the process of scanning the file to
>>find out 'stuff' about it. The movies length, resolution & bitrate,
>>stuff like that. For large AVI-format files on slow computers it can
>>take a while.
>>
>>If and where the interface is where you can easily tell
>>Explorer/Windows to stop sniffing media-files, especially this slow
>>AVI sniffing, i don't know. Anyone?
>>

>>>Can any of you kind people tell me how to remove the offending
>>>files? Seems a bit silly that they're still there.
>>
>>Try waiting a bit after marking (clicking on) the file, before
>>pressing the keyboards delete-key.
>

> Easy interface is relative to your knowledge level, I suppose, but..
> http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1209/
>
> Also - most of the time these files can be deleted in Safe Mode or by
> rebooting and getting to the directory through Command Prompt only - no
> Windows Explorer involvement - even in the deletion. A script would work as
> well.

Thank you.

I was thinking easy interface like for telling someone over the phone to
"open this program-window, uncheck that option, click apply"-easy, to
someone that you where hesitant to let loose in the registry over the
phone. But at least the behaviour can be turned off. :)