CHKDSK & DEFRAGMENTATION

September 6, 2005 10:18:03 AM

Hi, It is possible to make the computer to do a reboot at nite while i am
sleeping, to run chkdsk & defragmentation?If yes explain me what to do.Thanks

More about : chkdsk defragmentation

September 6, 2005 11:25:07 AM

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Scheduled Tasks.
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"Gus" wrote:

> Hi, It is possible to make the computer to do a reboot at nite while i am
> sleeping, to run chkdsk & defragmentation?If yes explain me what to do.Thanks
September 6, 2005 7:24:52 PM

"Gus" <Gus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Hi, It is possible to make the computer to do a reboot at nite while i am
> sleeping, to run chkdsk & defragmentation?If yes explain me what to
> do.Thanks

To each his or her own, but I prefer to be present when my computer is doing
something.

Alias
September 7, 2005 4:08:20 PM

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 13:24:10 -0600 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Wesley Vogel favored us with...
> Description of the New Command Line Defrag.exe Included with Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283080

This makes it sound as though the command-line utility is different
from the one you get with Properties>Tools on a drive. Is that true?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 5:22:06 PM

Yes. That is why there are two. One has a Graphical User Interface and the
other works only from a command prompt.

Open a command prompt, type defrag /? and hit Enter.

[[Windows XP Professional provides two methods for defragmenting FAT and
NTFS volumes:

• The Disk Defragmenter snap-in (Dfrg.msc).
• The new Disk Defragmenter command-line tool (Defrag.exe).]]
From...
Disk Defragmenter

The above is not totally true, XP Home also has both. They write more
articles for Pro then they do for Home.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:MPG.1d88da8297abb0e3989718@news.individual.net,
Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> hunted and pecked:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 13:24:10 -0600 in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Wesley Vogel favored us with...
>> Description of the New Command Line Defrag.exe Included with Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283080
>
> This makes it sound as though the command-line utility is different
> from the one you get with Properties>Tools on a drive. Is that true?

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
> days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 1:31:50 AM

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 13:22:06 -0600 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Wesley Vogel favored us with...
> Yes. That is why there are two. One has a Graphical User Interface and the
> other works only from a command prompt.

Strange! I can understand having two front ends for the same engine,
but having two engines seems strange.

That leads me to ask some follow-up questions (which I couldn't
answer from the Microsoft site, after some searches):

1. Which one is faster?

2. Which one does a better job?

3. Does it make a difference to either one if it's run in Safe Mode?

The reason I'm asking about this is the one and only time I did a
defrag, back in February, it took a couple of hours on a FAT32, 65 GB
volume. But I wasn't in Safe Mode and I was using the GUI tool
because it's the only one I knew about.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 2:04:47 PM

[[You cannot use the Disk Defragmenter command-line tool (Defrag.exe) while
the Disk Defragmenter snap-in is open. ]]
Before Using the Disk Defragmentation Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?u...

Analysis and defragmentation displays and reports

Best practices

[[The command does not provide a graphical analysis of a volume's
fragmentation status, but it does provide a summary.
The command does not provide a status indicator.]]
Defragmenting Volumes by Using the Defrag Command

[[The version of Disk Defragmenter MMC that is included with Windows XP has
the following limitations:
• It can defragment only local volumes.
• It can defragment only one volume at a time.
• It cannot defragment one volume while it is scanning another.
• It cannot be scheduled. If you need to schedule disk defragmentation, use
the Defrag.exe command line tool. For additional information about using
the command line Defrag.exe tool, click the following article number
to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

283080 Description of the New Command Line Defrag.exe Included with Windows
XP
• It can run only one MMC snap-in at a time.]]
How to Defragment Your Disk Drive Volumes in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314848

Description of the New Command Line Defrag.exe Included with Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;283080

[[Running the defrag command and Disk Defragmenter are mutually exclusive.
If you are using Disk Defragmenter to defragment a volume and you run the
defrag command at a command prompt, the defrag command fails. Conversely, if

you run the defrag command, and open Disk Defragmenter, the defragmentation
options in Disk Defragmenter are unavailable. ]]
To analyze a volume

[[Running the defrag command and Disk Defragmenter are mutually exclusive.
If you are using Disk Defragmenter to defragment a volume and you run the
defrag command at a command prompt, the defrag command fails. Conversely, if
you run the defrag command, and open Disk Defragmenter, the defragmentation
options in Disk Defragmenter are unavailable.]]
To defragment a volume

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User