ThinkPad iSeries 1200 Dead

the_stranger

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
A customer of mine brought me a Thinkpad iSeries 1200 (type 2611-452), which I previously upgraded to 256mb of ram, and a 40gb TravelStar hard drive. The thing has been humming along nicely with Windows XP for a few months now, until a few days ago - now when you hit the power switch, the power light comes on, along with the suspend light - all soudns are normal - HD powers up, etc, but nothing on the screen. Hitting FN to bring it out of suspend does nothing... I've tried all the obvious stuff, reseating all the hardware, etc, and it does get warm if you leave it on like this for a while, so the CPU is working... I'm at a loss, any ideas?

--jeff

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
that has happened to several notebooks of mine. All I can tell you to do is to bcukle down and take it in to a shop to get it fixed. Better yet if you have a warrenty on it... but in most cases it is stress on the main board causing small cracks that you can't even see. The problem with notebooks is they may be designed to be mobile but they aren't invincible to over use.

A womans body is a temple built upon a sewer.

RobertNKC

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
A suggestion: Remove the battery and plug in the AC and see if it comes up with the battery removed. A REALLY low battery on some notebooks won't come out of hibernation mode (and as such don't charge the battery).