Norton Ghost and XP

Help!

How can I copy a drive to a larger one for use as my primary drive?
I've used Norton Ghost but it will get to the login part, load settings
and then say logging off and go back to login prompt. Is there anything
I need to do before the copy from one drive to another?

Thanks,
Brian

I have a very clean system...I chose copy hard drive and it copies and
boots but will not log into the desktop..as local Administrator or via
the network...other suggestions???

<brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote:
> How can I copy a drive to a larger one for use as my primary drive?
> I've used Norton Ghost but it will get to the login part, load settings
> and then say logging off and go back to login prompt. Is there anything
> I need to do before the copy from one drive to another?

Did you disconnect from the Internet and disable the anti-virus
before doing the copy?

If Ghost doesn't do it, try Casper XP. You can download a free
trial version from www.FSSdev.com/products/casperxp/ .
It can clone a selected partition from among many on the
source HD and put it among other partitions on the destination
HD. True Image is also available in trial version from Acronis
at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/ ,
but True Image will copy the *entire* source drive to *all* of the
destination drive - great for migrating to a larger disk, but not
for archiving just one partition.

*TimDaniels*

No..it was connected to the internet and anti-virus was on. Someone
told me that it may be a problem with the boot partion drive letter.
That is doesn't match the drive letter assigned to the initial install.
Is there anything I can do in the copy portion of Ghost to make an
EXACT copy? The new copy drive boots but as I said, I log in, and it
will say "LOADING PERSONAL SETTINGS", then "SAVING YOUR SETTINGS" and
goes back to login prompt. It only does this on the new drive. The old
one still works just fine. Any other suggestions using Ghost would be
appreciated. Thanks!

<brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote:
> No..it was connected to the internet and anti-virus was on. Someone
> told me that it may be a problem with the boot partion drive letter.
> That is doesn't match the drive letter assigned to the initial install.
> Is there anything I can do in the copy portion of Ghost to make an
> EXACT copy? The new copy drive boots but as I said, I log in, and it
> will say "LOADING PERSONAL SETTINGS", then "SAVING YOUR
> SETTINGS" and goes back to login prompt. It only does this on the
> new drive. The old one still works just fine. Any other suggestions
> using Ghost would be appreciated. Thanks!

OK, back to square one. You wrote: "I've used Norton Ghost but
it will get to the login part, load settings and then say logging off
and go back to login prompt." But it appears that the *clone* is
getting to login, etc., not Ghost.

Do the copy again disconnected from the Internet and with the
anti-virus disabled. Make the new clone's partition a primary
partition and have it marked "active". After the copy operation,
don't let the clone boot up. Disconnect the source HD to make
the "parent" OS invisible, THEN start up the PC. (Since the
HD that used to be at the head of the BIOS's HD boot order is
now disconnected, the BIOS will go to the next HD in the HD
boot order to look for the "active" partition, where it expects to
find the boot files, e.g. ntldr, boot.ini, and ntdetect.com .)
Since the clone will be at the head of the HD boot order, the
"rdisk(0)" parameter in the boot.ini entry will still apply. On
subsequent boots, both HDs may be connected and visible to
each other. If you don't want to make changes to the boot.ini
file to enable dual-booting, just switch the HDs' positions in the
BIOS's HD boot order to determine which HD's OS gets loaded.
The OS that runs will call its own partition "Local Disk C:", and
it will choose other letters for the other partitions. That's OK
unless you have short cuts that contain paths to other partitions.

If you don't disconnect the source HD to make the "parent" OS
invisible to the new clone during its first startup, the new clone
will form links with various random files in the "parent's" file
structure, and you'll never know that until you remove the
"parent" and find that some of the clone's files are missing.

*TimDaniels*

OK..I am about to begin..I have no control over choosing PRIMARY
PARTITION (it is greyed out but does have primary selected) and I
marked active and will begin the copy. Will write when that completes
with results. Do I not need to select Copy MBR?

Thanks,
Brian

"After the copy operation,
don't let the clone boot up. Disconnect the source HD to make
the "parent" OS invisible, THEN start up the PC."

Question about that...if I disonnect the source and don't let clone
boot up, how will it boot?

Thanks,
Brian

Timothy Daniels wrote:

> Do the copy again disconnected from the Internet and with the
> anti-virus disabled. Make the new clone's partition a primary
> partition and have it marked "active". After the copy operation,
> don't let the clone boot up. Disconnect the source HD to make
> the "parent" OS invisible, THEN start up the PC. (Since the
> HD that used to be at the head of the BIOS's HD boot order is
> now disconnected, the BIOS will go to the next HD in the HD
> boot order to look for the "active" partition, where it expects to
> find the boot files, e.g. ntldr, boot.ini, and ntdetect.com .)
> Since the clone will be at the head of the HD boot order, the
> "rdisk(0)" parameter in the boot.ini entry will still apply. On
> subsequent boots, both HDs may be connected and visible to
> each other. If you don't want to make changes to the boot.ini
> file to enable dual-booting, just switch the HDs' positions in the
> BIOS's HD boot order to determine which HD's OS gets loaded.
> The OS that runs will call its own partition "Local Disk C:", and
> it will choose other letters for the other partitions. That's OK
> unless you have short cuts that contain paths to other partitions.

OK..I've disconnected the source but left the new drive connected as
slave and it booted but alas, same thing. Log in and get logged out
right away. I was a little lost in your directions (see other posts.)
Any other suggestions?

OK Yves...I have a lot of help going on here and I will try your
suggestion as well...will update ASAP.

Check for, and clean up, spywares and viruses. I have successfully done
Ghost copies and never seen your problem, unless the PC was "infested" by
viruses/spywares.

<brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Help!
>
> How can I copy a drive to a larger one for use as my primary drive?
> I've used Norton Ghost but it will get to the login part, load settings
> and then say logging off and go back to login prompt. Is there anything
> I need to do before the copy from one drive to another?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

<brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote:
> "After the copy operation,
> don't let the clone boot up. Disconnect the source HD to make
> the "parent" OS invisible, THEN start up the PC."
>
> Question about that...if I disonnect the source and don't let clone
> boot up, how will it boot?

1) Don't let the clone boot up while the source HD (containing
the "parent" OS) is still connected. Disconnect the source
HD BEFORE the new clone is booted.

2) THEN restart the PC, and the new clone should boot by
virtue of it being on the only HD in the system, which puts
that HD at the head of the BIOS's HD boot order.

*TimDaniels*

Yes! You need to copy the MBR is this new drive is to be the master boot
disk.

> OK..I am about to begin..I have no control over choosing PRIMARY
> PARTITION (it is greyed out but does have primary selected) and I
> marked active and will begin the copy. Will write when that completes
> with results. Do I not need to select Copy MBR?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

You need to do a sector by sector copy and copy the MBR. After the Ghost is
complete, you need need to disconnect the original drive and re-configure
the new drive as the Master drive. With only the new Master drive in the
PC, XP should boot normally.

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:
> You need to do a sector by sector copy and copy the MBR. After
> the Ghost is complete, you need need to disconnect the original
> drive and re-configure the new drive as the Master drive. With
> only the new Master drive in the PC, XP should boot normally.

It isn't necessary to configure the new HD as Master if it
is to be the only HD in the system. If it is to be one of
2 or more HDs, it would be less confusing to the user if
it were re-jumpered, but not necessary. All that is necessary
if there are 2 or more HDs is that it be jumpered differently
from another device on the same IDE channel (i.e. on the
same cable) and that it be put at the head of the BIOS's HD
boot order.

Electrically, though, it is better to put a lone HD at the end
connector of the IDE cable to avoid the ringing that could
occur in the length of cable between the unused end
connector and middle connector. If you use Cable Select
jumpering, the end connector's device becomes Master,
but again, with only one device on a channel (cable),
Master/Slave have no meaning.

*TimDaniels*

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

> You need to do a sector by sector copy and copy the MBR. After the Ghost
> is complete, you need need to disconnect the original drive and
> re-configure the new drive as the Master drive. With only the new Master
> drive in the PC, XP should boot normally.

I am about out of hair to pull. I have heeded all of the suggestions in this
thread and it will still not let me log in to the desktop via domain or
local administrator.

Question...when you say "disconnect the original drive and re-configure the
new drive as the Master drive", when is this done?

Thanks,
Brian

"Brian" wrote:

> "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
>> You need to do a sector by sector copy and copy the MBR.
>> After the Ghost is complete, you need need to disconnect
>> the original drive and re-configure the new drive as the
>> Master drive. With only the new Master drive in the PC,
>> XP should boot normally.
>
> Question...when you say "disconnect the original drive and
> re-configure the new drive as the Master drive", when is
> this done?

This is standard procedure that has evolved, but it's
unnecessary if there is only one HD in the system. If there
are 2 or more HDs in the system, it's to assure that the
new HD boots instead of the old HD by taking advantage
of the BIOS's *default* HD boot order, thereby keeping
newbies out of the BIOS. It involves switching the Master
and Slave settings of the 2 HDs on the same cable, and
to further consolidate superstitious behavior, the Master
HD is put at the end connector and the Slave at the middle
connector. Of course, if the HDs are both jumpered Cable
Select, just reversing their positions on the cable is sufficient
to reverse the Master/Slave settings. As you've seen, the
clone will boot up fine - even with its HD jumpered as Slave -
when it's on the only HD in the system.

*TimDaniels*

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> 1) Don't let the clone boot up while the source HD (containing
> the "parent" OS) is still connected. Disconnect the source
> HD BEFORE the new clone is booted.
>
> 2) THEN restart the PC, and the new clone should boot by
> virtue of it being on the only HD in the system, which puts
> that HD at the head of the BIOS's HD boot order.

yes.that is exactly what I did..still wont let me into desktop.

bambi

how did you run ghost and where did you save the image? I would suggest that
you save the image in a different storage (say a zip drive). And when you
copy the image to the new harddrive, make sure that the old one is not in the
system yet.

"brianwolters@gmail.com" wrote:

> No..it was connected to the internet and anti-virus was on. Someone
> told me that it may be a problem with the boot partion drive letter.
> That is doesn't match the drive letter assigned to the initial install.
> Is there anything I can do in the copy portion of Ghost to make an
> EXACT copy? The new copy drive boots but as I said, I log in, and it
> will say "LOADING PERSONAL SETTINGS", then "SAVING YOUR SETTINGS" and
> goes back to login prompt. It only does this on the new drive. The old
> one still works just fine. Any other suggestions using Ghost would be
> appreciated. Thanks!

He wasn't making an image file that would have to be
"restored" later to another HD. He was making a
"clone" which puts the exact copy directly on the
destination drive without the image file intermediary.

*TimDaniels*

"Brian" <brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> > You need to do a sector by sector copy and copy the MBR. After the
Ghost
> > is complete, you need need to disconnect the original drive and
> > re-configure the new drive as the Master drive. With only the new
Master
> > drive in the PC, XP should boot normally.
> >

> I am about out of hair to pull. I have heeded all of the suggestions in
this
> thread and it will still not let me log in to the desktop via domain or
> local administrator.
>
> Question...when you say "disconnect the original drive and re-configure
the
> new drive as the Master drive", when is this done?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

As soon as the copying is done. No dribble here. If ain't needed, it won't
hurt it. End of story.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"Bambi" <Bambi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how did you run ghost and where did you save the image? I would suggest
> that
> you save the image in a different storage (say a zip drive). And when you
> copy the image to the new harddrive, make sure that the old one is not in
> the
> system yet.

I am using Ghost 9 and used the COPY ONE DRIVE TO ANOTHER option. It
completed successfully but again, it wont let me log into my desktop.