Norton Ghost and XP

Help!

How can I copy a drive to a larger one for use as my primary drive?
I've used Norton Ghost but it will get to the login part, load settings
and then say logging off and go back to login prompt. Is there anything
I need to do before the copy from one drive to another?

Thanks,
Brian
20 answers Last reply
More about norton ghost

    I have a very clean system...I chose copy hard drive and it copies and
    boots but will not log into the desktop..as local Administrator or via
    the network...other suggestions???

    <brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote:
    > How can I copy a drive to a larger one for use as my primary drive?
    > I've used Norton Ghost but it will get to the login part, load settings
    > and then say logging off and go back to login prompt. Is there anything
    > I need to do before the copy from one drive to another?

    Did you disconnect from the Internet and disable the anti-virus
    before doing the copy?

    If Ghost doesn't do it, try Casper XP. You can download a free
    trial version from www.FSSdev.com/products/casperxp/ .
    It can clone a selected partition from among many on the
    source HD and put it among other partitions on the destination
    HD. True Image is also available in trial version from Acronis
    at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/ ,
    but True Image will copy the *entire* source drive to *all* of the
    destination drive - great for migrating to a larger disk, but not
    for archiving just one partition.

    *TimDaniels*

    No..it was connected to the internet and anti-virus was on. Someone
    told me that it may be a problem with the boot partion drive letter.
    That is doesn't match the drive letter assigned to the initial install.
    Is there anything I can do in the copy portion of Ghost to make an
    EXACT copy? The new copy drive boots but as I said, I log in, and it
    will say "LOADING PERSONAL SETTINGS", then "SAVING YOUR SETTINGS" and
    goes back to login prompt. It only does this on the new drive. The old
    one still works just fine. Any other suggestions using Ghost would be
    appreciated. Thanks!

    <brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote:
    > No..it was connected to the internet and anti-virus was on. Someone
    > told me that it may be a problem with the boot partion drive letter.
    > That is doesn't match the drive letter assigned to the initial install.
    > Is there anything I can do in the copy portion of Ghost to make an
    > EXACT copy? The new copy drive boots but as I said, I log in, and it
    > will say "LOADING PERSONAL SETTINGS", then "SAVING YOUR
    > SETTINGS" and goes back to login prompt. It only does this on the
    > new drive. The old one still works just fine. Any other suggestions
    > using Ghost would be appreciated. Thanks!

    OK, back to square one. You wrote: "I've used Norton Ghost but
    it will get to the login part, load settings and then say logging off
    and go back to login prompt." But it appears that the *clone* is
    getting to login, etc., not Ghost.

    Do the copy again disconnected from the Internet and with the
    anti-virus disabled. Make the new clone's partition a primary
    partition and have it marked "active". After the copy operation,
    don't let the clone boot up. Disconnect the source HD to make
    the "parent" OS invisible, THEN start up the PC. (Since the
    HD that used to be at the head of the BIOS's HD boot order is
    now disconnected, the BIOS will go to the next HD in the HD
    boot order to look for the "active" partition, where it expects to
    find the boot files, e.g. ntldr, boot.ini, and ntdetect.com .)
    Since the clone will be at the head of the HD boot order, the
    "rdisk(0)" parameter in the boot.ini entry will still apply. On
    subsequent boots, both HDs may be connected and visible to
    each other. If you don't want to make changes to the boot.ini
    file to enable dual-booting, just switch the HDs' positions in the
    BIOS's HD boot order to determine which HD's OS gets loaded.
    The OS that runs will call its own partition "Local Disk C:", and
    it will choose other letters for the other partitions. That's OK
    unless you have short cuts that contain paths to other partitions.

    If you don't disconnect the source HD to make the "parent" OS
    invisible to the new clone during its first startup, the new clone
    will form links with various random files in the "parent's" file
    structure, and you'll never know that until you remove the
    "parent" and find that some of the clone's files are missing.

    *TimDaniels*

    OK..I am about to begin..I have no control over choosing PRIMARY
    PARTITION (it is greyed out but does have primary selected) and I
    marked active and will begin the copy. Will write when that completes
    with results. Do I not need to select Copy MBR?

    Thanks,
    Brian

    "After the copy operation,
    don't let the clone boot up. Disconnect the source HD to make
    the "parent" OS invisible, THEN start up the PC."

    Question about that...if I disonnect the source and don't let clone
    boot up, how will it boot?

    Thanks,
    Brian

    Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > Do the copy again disconnected from the Internet and with the
    > anti-virus disabled. Make the new clone's partition a primary
    > partition and have it marked "active". After the copy operation,
    > don't let the clone boot up. Disconnect the source HD to make
    > the "parent" OS invisible, THEN start up the PC. (Since the
    > HD that used to be at the head of the BIOS's HD boot order is
    > now disconnected, the BIOS will go to the next HD in the HD
    > boot order to look for the "active" partition, where it expects to
    > find the boot files, e.g. ntldr, boot.ini, and ntdetect.com .)
    > Since the clone will be at the head of the HD boot order, the
    > "rdisk(0)" parameter in the boot.ini entry will still apply. On
    > subsequent boots, both HDs may be connected and visible to
    > each other. If you don't want to make changes to the boot.ini
    > file to enable dual-booting, just switch the HDs' positions in the
    > BIOS's HD boot order to determine which HD's OS gets loaded.
    > The OS that runs will call its own partition "Local Disk C:", and
    > it will choose other letters for the other partitions. That's OK
    > unless you have short cuts that contain paths to other partitions.

    OK..I've disconnected the source but left the new drive connected as
    slave and it booted but alas, same thing. Log in and get logged out
    right away. I was a little lost in your directions (see other posts.)
    Any other suggestions?

    OK Yves...I have a lot of help going on here and I will try your
    suggestion as well...will update ASAP.

    Check for, and clean up, spywares and viruses. I have successfully done
    Ghost copies and never seen your problem, unless the PC was "infested" by
    viruses/spywares.

    <brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Help!
    >
    > How can I copy a drive to a larger one for use as my primary drive?
    > I've used Norton Ghost but it will get to the login part, load settings
    > and then say logging off and go back to login prompt. Is there anything
    > I need to do before the copy from one drive to another?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brian

    <brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote:
    > "After the copy operation,
    > don't let the clone boot up. Disconnect the source HD to make
    > the "parent" OS invisible, THEN start up the PC."
    >
    > Question about that...if I disonnect the source and don't let clone
    > boot up, how will it boot?

    1) Don't let the clone boot up while the source HD (containing
    the "parent" OS) is still connected. Disconnect the source
    HD BEFORE the new clone is booted.

    2) THEN restart the PC, and the new clone should boot by
    virtue of it being on the only HD in the system, which puts
    that HD at the head of the BIOS's HD boot order.

    *TimDaniels*

    Yes! You need to copy the MBR is this new drive is to be the master boot
    disk.

    > OK..I am about to begin..I have no control over choosing PRIMARY
    > PARTITION (it is greyed out but does have primary selected) and I
    > marked active and will begin the copy. Will write when that completes
    > with results. Do I not need to select Copy MBR?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brian

    You need to do a sector by sector copy and copy the MBR. After the Ghost is
    complete, you need need to disconnect the original drive and re-configure
    the new drive as the Master drive. With only the new Master drive in the
    PC, XP should boot normally.

    "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
    > You need to do a sector by sector copy and copy the MBR. After
    > the Ghost is complete, you need need to disconnect the original
    > drive and re-configure the new drive as the Master drive. With
    > only the new Master drive in the PC, XP should boot normally.

    It isn't necessary to configure the new HD as Master if it
    is to be the only HD in the system. If it is to be one of
    2 or more HDs, it would be less confusing to the user if
    it were re-jumpered, but not necessary. All that is necessary
    if there are 2 or more HDs is that it be jumpered differently
    from another device on the same IDE channel (i.e. on the
    same cable) and that it be put at the head of the BIOS's HD
    boot order.

    Electrically, though, it is better to put a lone HD at the end
    connector of the IDE cable to avoid the ringing that could
    occur in the length of cable between the unused end
    connector and middle connector. If you use Cable Select
    jumpering, the end connector's device becomes Master,
    but again, with only one device on a channel (cable),
    Master/Slave have no meaning.

    *TimDaniels*

    > You need to do a sector by sector copy and copy the MBR. After the Ghost
    > is complete, you need need to disconnect the original drive and
    > re-configure the new drive as the Master drive. With only the new Master
    > drive in the PC, XP should boot normally.

    I am about out of hair to pull. I have heeded all of the suggestions in this
    thread and it will still not let me log in to the desktop via domain or
    local administrator.

    Question...when you say "disconnect the original drive and re-configure the
    new drive as the Master drive", when is this done?

    Thanks,
    Brian

    "Brian" wrote:

    > "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
    >> You need to do a sector by sector copy and copy the MBR.
    >> After the Ghost is complete, you need need to disconnect
    >> the original drive and re-configure the new drive as the
    >> Master drive. With only the new Master drive in the PC,
    >> XP should boot normally.
    >
    > Question...when you say "disconnect the original drive and
    > re-configure the new drive as the Master drive", when is
    > this done?

    This is standard procedure that has evolved, but it's
    unnecessary if there is only one HD in the system. If there
    are 2 or more HDs in the system, it's to assure that the
    new HD boots instead of the old HD by taking advantage
    of the BIOS's *default* HD boot order, thereby keeping
    newbies out of the BIOS. It involves switching the Master
    and Slave settings of the 2 HDs on the same cable, and
    to further consolidate superstitious behavior, the Master
    HD is put at the end connector and the Slave at the middle
    connector. Of course, if the HDs are both jumpered Cable
    Select, just reversing their positions on the cable is sufficient
    to reverse the Master/Slave settings. As you've seen, the
    clone will boot up fine - even with its HD jumpered as Slave -
    when it's on the only HD in the system.

    *TimDaniels*

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
    > 1) Don't let the clone boot up while the source HD (containing
    > the "parent" OS) is still connected. Disconnect the source
    > HD BEFORE the new clone is booted.
    >
    > 2) THEN restart the PC, and the new clone should boot by
    > virtue of it being on the only HD in the system, which puts
    > that HD at the head of the BIOS's HD boot order.

    yes.that is exactly what I did..still wont let me into desktop.

    how did you run ghost and where did you save the image? I would suggest that
    you save the image in a different storage (say a zip drive). And when you
    copy the image to the new harddrive, make sure that the old one is not in the
    system yet.

    "brianwolters@gmail.com" wrote:

    > No..it was connected to the internet and anti-virus was on. Someone
    > told me that it may be a problem with the boot partion drive letter.
    > That is doesn't match the drive letter assigned to the initial install.
    > Is there anything I can do in the copy portion of Ghost to make an
    > EXACT copy? The new copy drive boots but as I said, I log in, and it
    > will say "LOADING PERSONAL SETTINGS", then "SAVING YOUR SETTINGS" and
    > goes back to login prompt. It only does this on the new drive. The old
    > one still works just fine. Any other suggestions using Ghost would be
    > appreciated. Thanks!

    He wasn't making an image file that would have to be
    "restored" later to another HD. He was making a
    "clone" which puts the exact copy directly on the
    destination drive without the image file intermediary.

    *TimDaniels*

    "Brian" <brianwolters@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    > > You need to do a sector by sector copy and copy the MBR. After the
    Ghost
    > > is complete, you need need to disconnect the original drive and
    > > re-configure the new drive as the Master drive. With only the new
    Master
    > > drive in the PC, XP should boot normally.
    > >

    > I am about out of hair to pull. I have heeded all of the suggestions in
    this
    > thread and it will still not let me log in to the desktop via domain or
    > local administrator.
    >
    > Question...when you say "disconnect the original drive and re-configure
    the
    > new drive as the Master drive", when is this done?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brian

    As soon as the copying is done. No dribble here. If ain't needed, it won't
    hurt it. End of story.

    "Bambi" <Bambi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how did you run ghost and where did you save the image? I would suggest
    > that
    > you save the image in a different storage (say a zip drive). And when you
    > copy the image to the new harddrive, make sure that the old one is not in
    > the
    > system yet.

    I am using Ghost 9 and used the COPY ONE DRIVE TO ANOTHER option. It
    completed successfully but again, it wont let me log into my desktop.

Login Windows XP Norton