Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with New Monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 17, 2010 3:27:15 AM

Wow, got totally distracted in typing this and lost my train of thought, but this is the gist of it:

Hello Everybody. I've recently started purchasing components for my first build ^^ Along with that has come the thought of upgrading my monitor. I've educated myself quite a bit recently, but have a few questions that I don't have settled yet. The primary use for the monitor will be gaming, viewing media and surfing the web.

1) The two aspect ratios I"m considering are 16:10(1920x1200) and 16:9(1920x1080). I understand that the Hor pixels are the same, but x1200 has added Vert pixels. But since the aspect ratios are different, with 16:9 there is a wider viewing field, as evidenced by these HAWX Screens: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15739. I prefer the 16:9 ratio, but like the idea of having the extra room when I need it. If I purchase a monitor that runs in 1920x1200, will I be able to switch to 1920x1080/16:9 and obtain that extra width? Or will the image come out distorted? Also, if black bars would be present while in 16:9 that doesn't bother me.

2) This is something I just came across. While playing games the maximum FPS is dictated by monitor. Will there be a noticeable advantage to investing in a monitor with a higher Hz?

More about : monitor

Best solution

a b C Monitor
December 17, 2010 12:58:04 PM

If you buy a monitor of a higher resolution. You can simply run the game at a lower resolution. The image may become distorted depending if the monitor supports 1:1 scaling or not. If it does, it would simply run it with black borders on top and bottom.

Most monitors would only limit you to a 60hz refresh rate but 3D monitors push that to 120hz. However those monitors are only available in 1920x1080 and TN. However fast motion gaming appear much smoother.
December 24, 2010 3:33:48 AM

Okay thanks. So I just have to look for a monitor with 1:1 scaling if I want to go in different resolutions w/o distortion.

Another question, how is 3D gaming coming along? I know that everyone has their own opinions, but is it something worth investing in yet?
m
l
December 24, 2010 3:34:01 AM

Best answer selected by coogah88.
m
l
!