Sign in with
Your question

Need help picking a good ultraportable

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
April 18, 2010 11:39:42 PM

Hey there everyone,

For the past few weeks I've been looking around for a good allround portable laptop but am basically drowning in the amount of laptops that are offered at this moment. Haven't really stayed up-to-date when it comes to our portable little friends, so I'm having a hard time choosing.

To give some more info on what I'm looking for, here's a list.

What is your budget?
I'm looking to spend around €550-600 (or $750-800/£485-530). Little more and ofcourse less would be fine.

What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
The screensize should be around 12 inches (11.6-12.1 etc) and the laptop itself should be in the ultraportable range, thus being thin and lightweight preferably.

What screen resolution do you want?
Preferably 1366 x 768

Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable :) 

How much battery life do you need?
This is pretty important. I'd say at least around 6-7 hours.

Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Perhaps I'll play some older games but there's no need for high quality gaming.

What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Will definatly be watching some movies on it and would like to have the ability to do some photo editing on it.

How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

I'd say 250gb. Not a top priority for me though.

If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Not needed. www.tweakers.nl provides up-to-date pricing across the country. A good deal will be easy enough to find.

How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Around 2 years I think.

What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Not needed.

Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Preferably well established brands that provide decent build quality such as Asus. Previous brand laptop was an Acer. Even though it held out pretty well and provided decent quality in terms of results, the build quality was shoddy and a few internal parts broke down after a while.

What country do you live in?
The Netherlands

I hope that my demands are realistic compared to the amount of money I'm willing to spend for it.

Thanks in advance for any help! :) 

Cheers,

Gluon
April 19, 2010 11:20:26 AM

Sadly, Newegg doesn't offer their services overseas (perhaps in the UK but not here) so I'll have to find something elsewhere. Finding the laptop aint the problem though; finding the right one is ;p
!