russmon

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
My first Intel rig (maybe my last) with P4 2.6c with an P4P800 Deluxe. When I turn it on, everything spins up by no response from the monitor and no POST/system beep. I know the video card is good.

Is this a dead combo that needs to go back? The memory is Corsair XMS PC3200 and the manual says it only supports PC3500? Is this right too?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Go back and check everything... Reseat the video card and RAM, check all the cables for proper orientation. The PC3500 doesn't make sense since I believe that board runs the memory at 200 MHz. which would be your PC3200.

Again, just recheck things very carefully, you may find it's something simple.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

russmon

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
I did do all of that twice. I even tried two different video cards and two different types of RAM. I tried only have the bare minimums plugged in. Regardless, shouldn't I at least hear a POST beep or POST report?

Any other ideas?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not necessarily if you've got something hooked up wrong. Try removing the battery to reset the BIOS (make sure the system is powered down completely - unplug it). Also, remove any extra cards you have installed and try booting on a bare minimum of components.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Also, if you haven't already seen it, Crashman has a good FAQ post under the Motherboards and Chipsets section of the forum (first post on the list) with some common causes of this type of problem... you might look through there.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Check the CPU to see if it's inserted fully. You might also want to pull it out of the socket and check for bent pins.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
That motherboard should have a L.E.D that tells you if the graphics card is compatable for voltage.

When you try to power on the motherboard the light next to the AGP card slot should go out!!

If the L.E.D stays on then the graphics card is not supported by the motherboard.

It should mention this in the MoB manual.

Barton 3200+ 400MHz
A7N8X Deluxe
Liquid
2x512 KinstonHyperX PC3200
GeForce FX5900
Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9@80Gig
SONY CD 52x
SONY RW 52x/24x/52x
SONY DVD 16x/40x

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I suggest you read the first post of the Motherboard's forum. If you really can't find the problem, you can try firing the board up while it's laying on a carboard box/phonebook/etc., with just the CPU, RAM, Video card, and power button connected. Also check to make sure you have the square 4-pin ATX12v connector hooked to the motherboard.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

russmon

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
I am an ars - it was the square pin connector all along. Guess that is what you get when you work with A7N8X's too long (or that I am just an idiot).

Thanks for your patience and help. Man the P4 2.6c runs cool on stock parts!!!!! OC'ed to 3.13 and idles at 23C. My Althons never did that.

russmon

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Whatever the defaults were.

Does using the AI overclock make a difference. I notice when I up to 15% it drops the FSB from 400 to 266 but the CPU runs at 3.13 Ghz. Although 2.6 seems fast enough.

The Intel setup definately seems "cleaner" than my AMD. The stock heatsink and fan are definately a step up due to its ease of install. Overclock is much more stable than anything I did on my AMD.

Oh well, I shouldn't need an upgrade for sometime now. Glad I did it.