Still...building...computer!

InsaneMoose

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2003
Well, im sure you have seen my posts here before..maybe... But im still building a computer, (still in the planning stages) and i'd like to get some ideas and suggestions about the comp so far.

-Aspire(Turbo Case)X-Dreamer Black Mid-Tower Case with 350W Power Supply,Model:ATXB3KLW/350W.
$46
-Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
$214
-OCZ Performance Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-4000 - Retail (x2)
$266 ($133x2)
-Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JB, OEM Drive Only
$74
-Nvidia Geforce FX 5600 Ultra
$0 - Already have it.
-Windows XP PRO
0$ - Already have it
-Lite On Black 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive, Model LTR-52327S, OEM
$36
-LITE-ON BLACK 16X DVD ROM Drive, Model XJ-HD166/XJ-HD 165H, OEM
$34
-ABIT 865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU, Model "IS7" -RETAIL
$95
-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI Sound Card -Retail
$89
-Floppy drives? Eh? I don't think i've ever used the one on my current comp.
Am i forgetting something?

So far that comes to around $860 with some parts still undecided, +shipping, and other small things. I have around $1000 to spend.
Im not so sure about that case, i kinda just picked one at random, all i know is i want it to be nice and cool, i like to plug my headset in on the front, have a nice look to it, and have nice features, oh yes, and it not to break easily (woot?).
I also plan on OCing so im not sure if thats a good choice for RAM. And i plan on doing some major gaming so any suggestions are welcomed :)

Just because im a hardware newb, doesn't mean I cant break things with a hammer.

InsaneMoose

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2003
why buy a new card if i have one that works fine..i know its not really that great but its better then integrated :)

Just because im a hardware newb, doesn't mean I cant break things with a hammer.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd skip the soundcard for now and at least TRY the onboard sound, it's pretty good (not the best, but darned good for AC97). Seriously, it's not bad at all.

Then I'd use the extra money to buy a REAL case/power supply. If you want good quality for a reasonable price, look at Inwin cases, they come with very good power supplies. I like the old black office style towers. Probably not enough flash for you.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
Why not use...
" Computer Hardware > Cases (Computer Cases, ATX Form) > ANTEC > N82E16811129127
Antec Life Style Series Black Case With 380W Power Supply, Model:Sonata.
Specifications:
Case Type: Full Tower
Color: Piano Black
Material: 1mm SECC Steel
Drive Bays: 3x5.25" & 6x3.5"
Expansion Slots: 7
Front Ports: 2xUSB & 1xIEEE1394
Power Supply: 380W
Cooling System: 2x120mm Fans
Mainboard Compatibility: 12"x9.6"
Dimensions: 16.75"x18.25"x8.13"

Model# SONATA
Item# N82E16811129127
Stock Status: In Stock
Rating: (avg rating out of 123 voters) Reviews: 110
Click Here For More Product Info

Price: $93.00 FedEx Saver Shipping $18.00"-newegg

Expensive;but worth the extra price not to hear fans,especially as your going for a better than integrated sound card and likely care about sound quality.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
A good case is definitely a good investment. I used to just buy the POS $40 case and PS for all my new computers, but then I dropped $200 on a nice antec SOHO server case and a big antec powersupply and I don't regret it at all. The case has survived a few computer upgrades since and it's so nice to work on.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Sound is cheaper to add later and the onboard stuff really isn't bad.
I would also go 2.6c instead of the 2.8c.(unless if intel decided to ruin oc'ing on that for sure)
The 200 mhz isn't anything to grab with a small oc that can be done with stock cooling.
It will save you some cash.
For now your video card is fine only becuase none of the video games out now are worthy of the 9800pro.
But.. still faster is better fps.
I don't know much about after market hsf, but you'll definately want to invest in one.

A good case is a must for oc'ing. Make sure that case has a good air flow path.
I wouldn't really go with that power supply for oc'ing.
As for the breaking issue , I have bought a few 50 dollar with PS cases before and i haven't found one that hasn't been flimsy.
Just a thought though. I don't have any experience with aspire.

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get good cases with good power supplies from Aopen, Enlight, and Inwin, for around $60. Or you can get a piece of crap case with a window and mislocated side fan, with a crap power supply, for about the same money. Most young people prefer the piece of crap because it's flashier.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

twelve02

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2003
I would definately get a better case. I highly recommend the Antec Server cases, they have plenty of room and are durable. As for your CPU, why not save a little money and get a 2.4 and OC it. It should easily get to 2.8 with stock colling. I have a 1.6a doing 2.2 with no sweat... Just make sure to up your amps slowly and test, test, test. Just my .02

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Exactly. I actually can't stand the looks of some of those rice boxes. I like the plain server/tower look. What I originally bought was the Antec 1030B case which came with a 300W antec supply quite some time ago. It was good until I upgraded my system just a few weeks ago and went with an antec 480 W supply. If I had gone with a crap-tastic case I'd have had to have bought a new one of those too instead of just getting a new supply.

<A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=9211&vpn=W-658A-B" target="_new">When you have crap like this</A> it makes you wonder really...

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

br408408

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
I would take a look at the Abit AI7...after getting two bad IS7 (one lasted a week, the next was DOA) I ended up with one. The sound dosen't have problems like some IS7's, it supports the Prescott, and the memory voltage goes up to 3.2 while the highest you can set it on aan IS7 is 2.8, without mods. Just a thought.

Bill

InsaneMoose

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2003
Well, my current comp is just a plain case so i was like mmm flashy = gooood yes? But whatever, it doesnt REALLY matter to me because it just sits here...right near my feet. The only problem with those big server cases were that they are TOO big and it probably wouldnt fit where my current comp is. Im not sure the case specs of my current comp...but its store bought... :)

InsaneMoose

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2003
At this point im more interested in the case's cooling and power. For some reason in my mind, when i see 80mm x5 i feel, MMMM!! But im sure there is placement problems once n awhile which just means more fans dont = better cooling.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Look at the antec sonata then. It's not very large and is a good case.

Aziboah

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2003
I would get a floppy drive for sure. only about 10$, and if you dont, it will come around to bite you.... trust me.

I dont know how many cables I have thrown away because I thought I wouldent need them, only to buy the same one in the future

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
You like what you like. I personally like case modding. But i'd rather do the modding myself.
Pretty much any case around 60 dollars with a psu and a window is going to be a piece of poo.

I wouldn't mind finding a nice acrylic case with 2 big bays one floppy and a big fan in back two small fans in front.
I'm thinking about giving in and gettign watercooling.
All the newer cases i don't really care for the fan placements.

I like my alienware case only really because of the fans.
The layout of the whole system is really nice, but the case is way too big and heavy for toting around.

p4 2.8 533fsb
intel mobo
1gb rdram pc 800
radeon9800 pro
120gb seagate s-ata