Deleting contents of Run Droplist

I have completely forgotten how to delete the paths found in the droplist of
the Run window. I ran Disk Cleanup and removed Temp and Temp. Internet
files....still there.

Any suggestions???
6 answers Last reply
More about deleting contents droplist

    I think the "clear history" in ie options does that.

    Neil

    Jaman wrote:

    > I have completely forgotten how to delete the paths found in the droplist of
    > the Run window. I ran Disk Cleanup and removed Temp and Temp. Internet
    > files....still there.
    >
    > Any suggestions???

    Run the edit on Kelly's site at
    Line 41: Clear Recent File Lists (This includes the search and run lists)

    See the top of the page for info on running the edit.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Clear IE History, AutoComplete, Clear the TIF, Clear the Run MRU, Typed
    URL's and Clear List:

    XP Start Menu:
    You have to switch to Classic long enough to get the Clear button.
    Right click the Start button | Properties | Select Classic Start Menu |
    Customize button | Clear button | Click OK | Select Start menu | Click Apply
    |Click OK

    Classic Start Menu:
    Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button | Clear button

    Clear button
    [[Removes the list of recently accessed documents, programs, and Web sites
    from the Documents menu.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:0BD9C5EC-97B1-44D4-92AB-6E4C4E49BE5F@microsoft.com,
    Jaman <Jaman@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I have completely forgotten how to delete the paths found in the droplist
    > of the Run window. I ran Disk Cleanup and removed Temp and Temp. Internet
    > files....still there.
    >
    > Any suggestions???

    Also, if you do not want to delete your history, enable and disable run
    command from the taskbar and start menu properties.

    "neilp67@hotmail.com" wrote:

    > I think the "clear history" in ie options does that.
    >
    > Neil

    The information comes from two separate areas:

    When you type-in a letter in Start, Run text box, the auto-complete list box
    will be displayed, populated with entries from these two different areas:

    - Entries in the RunMRU registry location
    - Visited web pages stored in the Internet Explorer's INDEX.DAT file

    RunMRU registry location
    --------------------------
    The history of most recently used commands from the Run command on the Start
    menu are stored in the following registry location:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
    Explorer \ RunMRU

    The RunMRU entries can be erased by by clearing the Recent documents list in
    the Start Menu and Taskbar Properties. See this KB for more information:

    Display, Use, and Clear "My Recent Documents" on the Start Menu in Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307875

    To remove these RunMRU entries selectively, open Regedit.exe and navigate to
    the above location. Highlight and delete the entries in the right-pane.

    Visited web sites listing from the Index.dat file

    The entries that appear when you type something in the RUN box (but not
    normally displayed when you click the drop-down), comes from the Index.dat
    file that belongs to Internet Explorer. Using the Clear History button in
    Internet Options General tab will help. If not, you may try completely
    deleting the index.dat using the methods described in MS-MVP Mike Burgess'
    site. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

    To prevent the web addresses from being displayed in RUN box, open Internet
    Options from Control Panel. Select the Content tab, and click the Auto
    Complete button. Under section Use AutoComplete for, uncheck Web addresses.
    Note that un-checking this option also disables the CTRL + ENTER
    functionality in Internet Explorer Address bar.

    See also: RunMRU listing - Sources
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rundel.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Jaman" <Jaman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have completely forgotten how to delete the paths found in the droplist
    >of
    > the Run window. I ran Disk Cleanup and removed Temp and Temp. Internet
    > files....still there.
    >
    > Any suggestions???

Microsoft Disk Cleanup Windows XP