pheral

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2003
I am in the process of finalizing a component list for non-linear editing workstation. Mainboard is an Asus P4C800 - E Deluxe, the cpu a P4 2.8C Ghz. I wonder - Am I inviting trouble using an after-market CPU heatsink/cooler? Or am I better off sticking with the stock Intel equipment?

If I go for the after-market fan, any thoughts on the Vantec Aero-Flow VP4? Above all, I am looking for stability and reliability. This machine will not be overclocked, but at times will be asked to process some very graphics-intensive material.

Thanks in advance.

Philip

Go to newegg's refurbished section for an original Intel p4 heatsink. It's only $5 including shipping. They sent me a newer copper model. The fan is noisier on the copper model. I had to turn down the rpms with a zalman fan mate 1.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Stick with the Intel stock fan. Don't forget that it's Intel that's responsible for your CPU and fan to work properly so when you use it you can actually say that you more reliability.

<b><A HREF="http://www.multiplaycity.com/diy1/005/intelhsf.jpg" target="_new">I'm an Intel fan</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Stock Intel cooler is fine, I'm using one on a 2.6C at 3.2GHz. Runs 44C max.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

AMD_DA_BEST

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2003
if you want to OC, then Thermalright SP-94 with Vantec Tornado won't be bad. Just make sure that you get a fan controller if you want to get that.;)

I'm an AMD FANBOY. Intel folks, watch out!