Font Installation Problem in WinXP Home

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts (More info?)

I'm trying to help a friend in Houston install a Courier font on his
computer. I'm in the Dallas-Fort Worth MetromessHe has an HP DeskJet 940c
printer. I thought the Courier font came standard (pre-installed) on HP
printers, but apparently not. The standard Courier (not Courier New) font
does not appear in his Microsoft Word list of fonts on the pull-down list.

I e-mailed him a Courier font from this computer which we tried to install,
but the Install Font dialogue wouldn't let him install it. He got a message
telling him that he has to remove the font before reinstalling it. He
Checked in Windows\Fonts, but found no standard Courier font. He did find 4
Courier New items, though I don't know why 4 are listed.

How can we get the standard Courier font to install and be available to him
in Word?
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith

AA Smith wrote:
> I'm trying to help a friend in Houston install a Courier font on his
> computer. I'm in the Dallas-Fort Worth MetromessHe has an HP DeskJet 940c
> printer. I thought the Courier font came standard (pre-installed) on HP
> printers, but apparently not. The standard Courier (not Courier New) font
> does not appear in his Microsoft Word list of fonts on the pull-down list.
>
> I e-mailed him a Courier font from this computer which we tried to install,
> but the Install Font dialogue wouldn't let him install it. He got a message
> telling him that he has to remove the font before reinstalling it. He
> Checked in Windows\Fonts, but found no standard Courier font. He did find 4
> Courier New items, though I don't know why 4 are listed.
>
> How can we get the standard Courier font to install and be available to him
> in Word?

Sounds like possibly your friend has turned on the option to only show
truetype fonts on his computer. Have him open Fonts in the Control
Panel. In the Fonts folder have him select Tools, Folder Options and go
to the True Type Fonts tab. There he will find the setting to "Show
only TrueType fonts in the programs on my computer." Make sure that
isn't checked. If he has to remove the check, he will need to reboot
before the change is picked up.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts (More info?)

Hi, Tom!

My friend checked that tab on the Folder Options tab, but found that the box
was unchecked.

What else might be preventing the Courier font to be available to him in
Word?
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
"Tom Porterfield" <tpporter@mvps.org> wrote in message
> AA Smith wrote:
>> I'm trying to help a friend in Houston install a Courier font on his
>> computer. I'm in the Dallas-Fort Worth MetromessHe has an HP DeskJet
>> 940c printer. I thought the Courier font came standard (pre-installed)
>> on HP printers, but apparently not. The standard Courier (not Courier
>> New) font does not appear in his Microsoft Word list of fonts on the
>> pull-down list.
>>
>> I e-mailed him a Courier font from this computer which we tried to
>> install, but the Install Font dialogue wouldn't let him install it. He
>> got a message telling him that he has to remove the font before
>> reinstalling it. He Checked in Windows\Fonts, but found no standard
>> Courier font. He did find 4 Courier New items, though I don't know why 4
>> are listed.
>>
>> How can we get the standard Courier font to install and be available to
>> him in Word?
>
> Sounds like possibly your friend has turned on the option to only show
> truetype fonts on his computer. Have him open Fonts in the Control Panel.
> In the Fonts folder have him select Tools, Folder Options and go to the
> True Type Fonts tab. There he will find the setting to "Show only
> TrueType fonts in the programs on my computer." Make sure that isn't
> checked. If he has to remove the check, he will need to reboot before the
> change is picked up.
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP Windows
> http://support.telop.org
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts (More info?)

As has been discussed here (or in another Word NG) recently, the Courier
font that is resident in HP computers is available only if you use the
PostScript driver (and will probably be listed as a printer font). The four
Courier New listings represent bold, italic, and bold italic variants in
addition to the regular font. These variants are not available for Courier
PS.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

" AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Tom!
>
> My friend checked that tab on the Folder Options tab, but found that the
box
> was unchecked.
>
> What else might be preventing the Courier font to be available to him in
> Word?
> --
> With kindest regards,
>
> Dick Smith
> "Tom Porterfield" <tpporter@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > AA Smith wrote:
> >> I'm trying to help a friend in Houston install a Courier font on his
> >> computer. I'm in the Dallas-Fort Worth MetromessHe has an HP DeskJet
> >> 940c printer. I thought the Courier font came standard (pre-installed)
> >> on HP printers, but apparently not. The standard Courier (not Courier
> >> New) font does not appear in his Microsoft Word list of fonts on the
> >> pull-down list.
> >>
> >> I e-mailed him a Courier font from this computer which we tried to
> >> install, but the Install Font dialogue wouldn't let him install it. He
> >> got a message telling him that he has to remove the font before
> >> reinstalling it. He Checked in Windows\Fonts, but found no standard
> >> Courier font. He did find 4 Courier New items, though I don't know why
4
> >> are listed.
> >>
> >> How can we get the standard Courier font to install and be available to
> >> him in Word?
> >
> > Sounds like possibly your friend has turned on the option to only show
> > truetype fonts on his computer. Have him open Fonts in the Control
Panel.
> > In the Fonts folder have him select Tools, Folder Options and go to the
> > True Type Fonts tab. There he will find the setting to "Show only
> > TrueType fonts in the programs on my computer." Make sure that isn't
> > checked. If he has to remove the check, he will need to reboot before
the
> > change is picked up.
> > --
> > Tom Porterfield
> > MS-MVP Windows
> > http://support.telop.org
> >
> > Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts (More info?)

Courier (Coure.fon) is a bitmap font that is only intended for screen
display. It (along with MS Sans Serif, FixedSys, and System) will not appear
in Word versions above 97.

--
This is A SQUARE HOUSE. Please report any un-fairness to the proprietor

"Tom Porterfield" wrote:

> AA Smith wrote:
> > I'm trying to help a friend in Houston install a Courier font on his
> > computer. I'm in the Dallas-Fort Worth MetromessHe has an HP DeskJet 940c
> > printer. I thought the Courier font came standard (pre-installed) on HP
> > printers, but apparently not. The standard Courier (not Courier New) font
> > does not appear in his Microsoft Word list of fonts on the pull-down list.
> >
> > I e-mailed him a Courier font from this computer which we tried to install,
> > but the Install Font dialogue wouldn't let him install it. He got a message
> > telling him that he has to remove the font before reinstalling it. He
> > Checked in Windows\Fonts, but found no standard Courier font. He did find 4
> > Courier New items, though I don't know why 4 are listed.
> >
> > How can we get the standard Courier font to install and be available to him
> > in Word?
>
> Sounds like possibly your friend has turned on the option to only show
> truetype fonts on his computer. Have him open Fonts in the Control
> Panel. In the Fonts folder have him select Tools, Folder Options and go
> to the True Type Fonts tab. There he will find the setting to "Show
> only TrueType fonts in the programs on my computer." Make sure that
> isn't checked. If he has to remove the check, he will need to reboot
> before the change is picked up.
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP Windows
> http://support.telop.org
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

Byte

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts (More info?)

Install font per below instructions. The font he needs is COURE.FON
Which is the Courier 10, 12, 15 (VGA res). Once downloaded go to:
Start>Control Panel>Fonts>File>Install new font and navigate to where
it was downloaded. There should be 4 Courier New fonts listed which are
TTF, Bold, Bold Italic and TTF Italic. If it will not install, either
drag&drop or
copy&paste the font file to the C:\Windows\Font directory.
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"AA Smith" wrote:

> I'm trying to help a friend in Houston install a Courier font on his
> computer. I'm in the Dallas-Fort Worth MetromessHe has an HP DeskJet 940c
> printer. I thought the Courier font came standard (pre-installed) on HP
> printers, but apparently not. The standard Courier (not Courier New) font
> does not appear in his Microsoft Word list of fonts on the pull-down list.
>
> I e-mailed him a Courier font from this computer which we tried to install,
> but the Install Font dialogue wouldn't let him install it. He got a message
> telling him that he has to remove the font before reinstalling it. He
> Checked in Windows\Fonts, but found no standard Courier font. He did find 4
> Courier New items, though I don't know why 4 are listed.
>
> How can we get the standard Courier font to install and be available to him
> in Word?
> --
> With kindest regards,
>
> Dick Smith

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts (More info?)

I am going to avoid a discussion of the ins and outs of this mess,
involving as it does font substitution and font substitution tables in
Windows and printer drivers, and jump to a possible solution.

Install the PostScript Courier font set (regular, bold, italic, bold
italic) on Windows and try to print. If you are not getting the desired
result (Courier New might print instead), we can look into various
settings.

You can purchase the set from Linotype or other good sources. You can also
download an older version of Adobe Acrobat Reader, copy the font files to
a purpose-created directory, and from there, install them.

If you have a Windows NT system (including Windows 2000, Windows XP,
Windows Server 2003) you can install them in the usual way be they
TrueType or PostScript format.

If you have a Windows 9x system and are installing the PS font versions,
download and install Adobe Type Manager (free download from
http://www.adobe.com) and use that to install the fonts.

Let us know.
Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User
PS
Older Acrobat Reader versions here:
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat
Get v2 or 3.

PPS
Hewlett Packard lasers' native printer language is referred to as HP PCL
(Hewlett Packard Page Control Language). Their printer with PCL
rasterisers and PCL drivers typically contain 45 TrueType fonts resident.
Among these are the Courier family. Their printers capable of handling
PostScript page description language typically have the standard 35
PostScript Type 1 fonts that have been customary since the beginning of
widespread PS printer and font use. Courier is among these as well. In
addition, the CD (or floppies from days of yore) that contain the other
software for the printer, often contained full files for these fonts.
These files were meant to be installed on the computer to provide "screen
fonts" to match the printer resident fonts. They are fully-functional font
files. Otherwise, when a printer-resident font was specified for printing,
Windows would have to substitute another font to provide a screen display.
Thus screen and printout would not match.

There are two reasons I write this. One is to say that the software
packages you can download from HP's web site have among them some that
have the Courier font files. Alas, sometimes the package is compressed in
such a way that it is not easy to extract just the font files.

:
: I e-mailed him a Courier font from this computer which we tried to
install,
: but the Install Font dialogue wouldn't let him install it. He got a
message
: telling him that he has to remove the font before reinstalling it. He
: Checked in Windows\Fonts, but found no standard Courier font. He did
find 4
: Courier New items, though I don't know why 4 are listed.
:
: How can we get the standard Courier font to install and be available to
him
: in Word?
: --
: With kindest regards,
:
: Dick Smith
:
:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts (More info?)

Thanks! I have passed this on to my friend.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith

"ottermi619 (A+)" <ottermi619A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Courier (Coure.fon) is a bitmap font that is only intended for screen
> display. It (along with MS Sans Serif, FixedSys, and System) will not
> appear
> in Word versions above 97.
>
> --
> This is A SQUARE HOUSE. Please report any un-fairness to the proprietor
>

> "Tom Porterfield" wrote:
>
>> AA Smith wrote:
>> > I'm trying to help a friend in Houston install a Courier font on his
>> > computer. I'm in the Dallas-Fort Worth MetromessHe has an HP DeskJet
>> > 940c
>> > printer. I thought the Courier font came standard (pre-installed) on
>> > HP
>> > printers, but apparently not. The standard Courier (not Courier New)
>> > font
>> > does not appear in his Microsoft Word list of fonts on the pull-down
>> > list.
>> >
>> > I e-mailed him a Courier font from this computer which we tried to
>> > install,
>> > but the Install Font dialogue wouldn't let him install it. He got a
>> > message
>> > telling him that he has to remove the font before reinstalling it. He
>> > Checked in Windows\Fonts, but found no standard Courier font. He did
>> > find 4
>> > Courier New items, though I don't know why 4 are listed.
>> >
>> > How can we get the standard Courier font to install and be available to
>> > him
>> > in Word?
>>
>> Sounds like possibly your friend has turned on the option to only show
>> truetype fonts on his computer. Have him open Fonts in the Control
>> Panel. In the Fonts folder have him select Tools, Folder Options and go
>> to the True Type Fonts tab. There he will find the setting to "Show
>> only TrueType fonts in the programs on my computer." Make sure that
>> isn't checked. If he has to remove the check, he will need to reboot
>> before the change is picked up.
>> --
>> Tom Porterfield
>> MS-MVP Windows
>> http://support.telop.org
>>
>> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts (More info?)

Thanks, Byte!

We sincerely appreciate your feedback. I have passed it along to my friend
in Houston. Have a great day!
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
"Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Install font per below instructions. The font he needs is COURE.FON
> Which is the Courier 10, 12, 15 (VGA res). Once downloaded go to:
> Start>Control Panel>Fonts>File>Install new font and navigate to where
> it was downloaded. There should be 4 Courier New fonts listed which are
> TTF, Bold, Bold Italic and TTF Italic. If it will not install, either
> drag&drop or
> copy&paste the font file to the C:\Windows\Font directory.
> --
> XP-WNP
> Today is the first day of the
> rest of your life.
>

> "AA Smith" wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to help a friend in Houston install a Courier font on his
>> computer. I'm in the Dallas-Fort Worth MetromessHe has an HP DeskJet
>> 940c
>> printer. I thought the Courier font came standard (pre-installed) on HP
>> printers, but apparently not. The standard Courier (not Courier New)
>> font
>> does not appear in his Microsoft Word list of fonts on the pull-down
>> list.
>>
>> I e-mailed him a Courier font from this computer which we tried to
>> install,
>> but the Install Font dialogue wouldn't let him install it. He got a
>> message
>> telling him that he has to remove the font before reinstalling it. He
>> Checked in Windows\Fonts, but found no standard Courier font. He did
>> find 4
>> Courier New items, though I don't know why 4 are listed.
>>
>> How can we get the standard Courier font to install and be available to
>> him
>> in Word?
>> --
>> With kindest regards,
>>
>> Dick Smith

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts (More info?)

Hi, Tom!

Courier New prints, but it's MUCH to faint for use in submitting manuscripts
to prospective publishers. He needs to be able to use the standard
PostScript font. I thought that font came with all HP printers (his is a
DeskJet 940c and he's running WinXP Home. I don't know which SP. Where
would we look on his system for the PS font/s. Might he need to reinstall
drivers?
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith
"Tom Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote in message
> [...]
> : but the Install Font dialogue wouldn't let him install it. He got a
> message
> : telling him that he has to remove the font before reinstalling it. He
> : Checked in Windows\Fonts, but found no standard Courier font. He did
> find 4
> : Courier New items, though I don't know why 4 are listed.
> :
> : How can we get the standard Courier font to install and be available to
> him
> : in Word?
> : --
> : With kindest regards,
> :
> : Dick Smith
> :
> :

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts (More info?)

An entirely different font set is supplied with DeskJets and LaserJets.

--

> [...]
> > : but the Install Font dialogue wouldn't let him install it. He got a
> > message
> > : telling him that he has to remove the font before reinstalling it. He
> > : Checked in Windows\Fonts, but found no standard Courier font. He did
> > find 4
> > : Courier New items, though I don't know why 4 are listed.
> > :
> > : How can we get the standard Courier font to install and be available
> > him
> > : in Word?
> > : --
> > : With kindest regards,
> > :
> > : Dick Smith
> > :
> > :

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts (More info?)

Coure.fon is one of a group of courx.fon files and similar provided for
use as screen fonts for some programs. All older programs, I recall. There
are ways to force its use as a screen font but Word versions after 97 will
_not_ print with them. Courier New will be substituted at print time.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

" AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
: Thanks, Byte!
:
[...]
: > --
: > XP-WNP
: > Today is the first day of the
: > rest of your life.
: >
: >
: > "AA Smith" wrote:
: >
: >> I'm trying to help a friend in Houston install a Courier font on his
: >> computer. I'm in the Dallas-Fort Worth MetromessHe has an HP DeskJet
: >> 940c
: >> printer. I thought the Courier font came standard (pre-installed) on
HP
: >> printers, but apparently not. The standard Courier (not Courier New)
: >> font
: >> does not appear in his Microsoft Word list of fonts on the pull-down
: >> list.
: >>
: >> I e-mailed him a Courier font from this computer which we tried to
: >> install,
: >> but the Install Font dialogue wouldn't let him install it. He got a
: >> message
: >> telling him that he has to remove the font before reinstalling it.
He
: >> Checked in Windows\Fonts, but found no standard Courier font. He did
: >> find 4
: >> Courier New items, though I don't know why 4 are listed.
: >>
: >> How can we get the standard Courier font to install and be available
: >> him
: >> in Word?
: >> --
: >> With kindest regards,
: >>
: >> Dick Smith
: >>
: >>
: >>
:
:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts (More info?)

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 18:04:34 -0400, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote
(in article <OSW4MAzsFHA.332@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>):

> The four Courier New listings represent bold, italic, and bold italic
> variants in addition to the regular font. These variants are not available
> for Courier PS.

Yes, they are.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.word.printingfonts (More info?)

Hmm. I thought someone had said here recently that they weren't.