Unable to open/view .chm files....

Hello.

I just found that I am unable to view Compiled Help Files. (.chm)

I think this is a build in function on WinsowsXP, and therefore there is
no special program to install in order to see this files.

What can I do? Should I re-install WindowsXP in order to fix this?

Thanks,

Raul

P.S.
I am using XP SP2, and also using .net framework. Has this anything to do
with this???
2 answers Last reply
More about unable open view files

    When you double-click a chm file what happens?

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875486

    This is an SP2 issue

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;249065

    This is an MDAC issue

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320269

    These chm issues are related to IE updates usually.

    Try this:

    Start | Run | regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx | OK

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811630

    --
    George Hester
    _________________________________
    "Raul Cortes" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I just found that I am unable to view Compiled Help Files. (.chm)
    >
    > I think this is a build in function on WinsowsXP, and therefore there is
    > no special program to install in order to see this files.
    >
    > What can I do? Should I re-install WindowsXP in order to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Raul
    >
    > P.S.
    > I am using XP SP2, and also using .net framework. Has this anything to do
    > with this???

    If CHM files have been downloaded from the Internet, this KB article may apply:

    You cannot open HTML Help files from Internet Explorer after you install security update 896358 or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;902225

    For local CHM files try this:

    Open Start, Run, type (without quotes) this comand: 'helpctr -regserver' and click OK. Repeat the steps with these two commands:

    regsvr32 itss
    regsvr32 jscript

    --
    Greetings,
    Daniel Martín

    "Raul Cortes" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:O$lxPbwsFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Hello.
    >
    > I just found that I am unable to view Compiled Help Files. (.chm)
    >
    > I think this is a build in function on WinsowsXP, and therefore there is
    > no special program to install in order to see this files.
    >
    > What can I do? Should I re-install WindowsXP in order to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >

    > Raul
    >
    > P.S.
    > I am using XP SP2, and also using .net framework. Has this anything to do
    > with this???

Microsoft Windows XP