Sign in with
Your question

need help big time!

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
December 27, 2003 1:33:21 AM

I have a matsonic 8147c mobo, amd 1800+, radeon 9800pro, 512mb ocz high perf ram. Just bought a amd 3000+, changed the jumper settings to 166mhz and upon fist boot I got this error: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" I searched the error, and through reading many forums I had to make a xp boot disk set, enter system restore, and replace the corrupted line, ok, I did that, the pc booted up and locked up and my new west.dig se hard drive started sounding like a washer machine. ok, formated and re-installed xp, same thing. pulled the 3000+ out and put the 1800+ back in, back to normal, now the matsonic mobo specs say that it supports it, but im starting to think they are full of it, also tried various bios settings without any luck, also after formating the pc didnt freak out untill I installed the via 4in1 chipset drivers, do I need to upgrade this pile of sh** mobo? or is there something I am missing?

thanks

More about : big time

a b à CPUs
December 27, 2003 2:48:48 AM

I think the board is taking a crap on you.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 27, 2003 3:33:29 AM

if that is the case, which mobo would be best for this config? not a crazy $300 gigabyte, something around $100 or so

AMD xp3000
radeon 9800pro
OCZ pc2700 high perf. ver 3.2
Related resources
December 27, 2003 3:39:20 AM

im still scratching my head trying to figure out how upgrading my cpu corrupts my registry....
December 27, 2003 4:32:12 AM

Check for a BIOS update.
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2003 11:55:21 AM

Sounds like your memory dosent like the 166fsb speed.Try raising your memory timings after you update the bios.

I aint signing nothing!!!
December 27, 2003 12:16:54 PM

is that normal? I have ocz high perf pc2700 that ran great at 2-2-2 @ 133mhz, then I bump it up too 166mhz, tried to raised the values up and still got registry errors, hard drive noise and lock ups, btw, this pc ran flawless since feb. 03 without one error or stutter, maybe I didnt raise the timing values enough?
Also I checked for bios updates and I found it suprising the first place i looked was the same version I was running, is there a good place to check for bios updates?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by thistledown on 12/27/03 09:19 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 27, 2003 3:18:11 PM

Problem Solved !!! updated the bios, booted right up!

thanks everyone who helped!
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2003 4:04:48 PM

I thought it might be a BIOS problem but didn't say anything about it because I assumed you already had the latest. That's what I get for assuming.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!