A little help please

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Hey guys I had this posted in the harddrive section but did not get a responce, so I'm trying here.

I just picked up a couple of WD 160 gig 8 meg 7200 drives (they were very very cheap) I figured at this price why not get 2 and run them at raid 0.

Anyway I have never setup raid before looks simple enough but I'm not sure about the master slave thing.

Do I setup using both set as master or 1 master 1 slave?

Thanx for any help. I'll be setting this up tonight.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
It's onboard raid I realize its not as good as raid card. The board is a GA-7nnXP it has onboard gigaraid for ultra dma and sata raid. I'll be using the onboard gigaraid for these drives (chipset IT8212) I had no idea the motherboard or raid card would make a difference you would think it would be a standard thing 2 masters or 1 master 1 slave for raid 0.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
you still set up them as master and slave and then follow the manuals instructions on entering the raid bios to set up the array....

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
It's funny cause a couple of guys recently answerd this same question in the hardrive forum.

They say both as master and (no slave).

allanon1965 are you sure 1 of the drives should be set as slave.. when using 2 drives on 2 independant channels in raid 0...???

One more thing, I have set this thing up following manual and bios instructions to the T.... Once with master & slave and once with 2 masters. In all cases they functioned. I don't know if the raid 0 speed was there but they both booted into winxp.

Now here is my question. I always thought when you use 2 drives in stripe (raid0) say 2 x 100 gig drives. should you not end up with only 100 gigs available space in raid0?

Both times I set this up using 2x160 I get 1 harddrive 300+ gigs. Yes this is raid0 not jbod. I don't get it, should I not have a 160 gig drive when finished?

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
well i always had it set up as master and slave and it showed 30 gb when i had 2 15gb set up as striped, it would show only 15 when set up as mirrored

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Thanks for the info. I'm starting to think the master slave thing is irrelavent in raid0 anyway. just 1 must be set as master the other could be ether or. that's my guess because the manuel gives you nothing and it worked both ways.

I don't know why I always thought you lost half your capacity using raid 0. I just thought that for some reason. Makes sence that mirroring you would lose half.

I'm very happy now my new drive will be twice the size.

Thanks for the help.