Creature - Any Good???

dd

Hey guys, been thinking of buying a creature. I really like the art
work. What do you think of the game play??

I think it is a lot of fun, even if it is a bit "shallow". By
"shallow" in this case, I mean your goal is very clear and repetitive:
Spell "KISS", "PAID", open the snackbar, and ride the slide. Start the
film (you're now in 2-ball multi-ball mode). Find the creature.
Rescue the girl. Try your best for the fun-but-diffucult-to-get
jackpots.

There's a few more modes to it, including a video mode where you fight,
but the (somewhat) elusive goal is to get those jackpots.

It's a very fun game with some neat shots, great sound and an
"atmosphere" (mood) that is a great departure from any other pin I've
played.

Oh, also - I'd have to say CFTBL has the best backglass light show that
I've ever seen - it's really breathtaking.

-Brannon

The artwork is awesome for sure. Game play is either love it or hate
it. Very challenging, IMO. It really feels like an advanced player's
pin (ala TZ), as opposed to a "fun for all levels" game play pin like
MM. Guess it depends what side of the fence the player is on.

My only real complaint is how crowded the playfield is. Would have
been perfect as a widebody, but is a little cramped feeling with all
the ramps, etc. The ball's simply hard to see in some areas,
particularly in the back.

Overall, though, a real keeper IMO.

It is a fun machine. Brannon describes it very well.

Much like my BSD, it is a pin that is better in a collection. i.e. I
wouldn't get it if it was going to be your only pin.

might be good if the ramps have no cracks, hologram is bright, and the
decals and translight are in good shape.

They CFTBL playfields are all diamond plate, so don't let that be a
selling point.

If the playfield is in good condition and everything works, $2200 is a
decent price. You want to make sure the hologram is there and is
pretty decent (more green than blue), of course. But that price is not
too bad, IMO.

-Brannon

I like it. Tough to get and 'short'
multiball.

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
========================

dd wrote:
> Hey guys, been thinking of buying a creature. I really like the art
> work. What do you think of the game play??

dd

A little wear around the hole but will get a cliffy protector for that.
No cracked ramps with new legs and glass supplied.

They're all diamondplated, logo or not.

2200 is probably a fair price if it's in average to good condition.
How's the snack bar hole?

-

http://www.myhomegameroom.com

dd wrote:
> Is $2200.00 unshopped a good price? No broken plastics, diamond plate
> playfield....

Personally the game bores me to tears. Bought one, because I loved the
artwork and theme. Once I got it home, I realized how much I hated it.
Crowded playfield, same goal everytime, spell this, get that. Very few
shots. And the big reward? Two ball multiball. Snoor. This is
definately a love or hate game and I hate it. I don't even play it when
I go to the shows and it is set on freeplay. My personal preference is
open playfields like TZ, NGG, ST:TNG, Funhouse, etc. Personally I will
never own another at any price. Thought I would give you the other side
of the coin. Definately play it first. That said you can always sell it
(like I did) if you don't like it :)

Duane

I find it to be a lot of fun and think it is a classic. I have it in my top

#5 Creature from the Black Lagoon (CFTBL)

Creature from the Black Lagoon, or CFTBL for short, is one of the greatest
embellishments of a theme in pinball history. It perfectly captures the
flavor of the late fifties and early sixties - drive-ins, big fancy cars,
cheesy sci-fi flicks, leather jackets, and poodle skirts are all part of the
array.

CFTBL also has some of the best artwork ever in game - the cabinet,
playfield, and translite art are all top-notch. The music is also great with
a variety of background tunes such as "Summertime Blues" and "Get a Job."
Try playing in the dark with a blacklight and check out the cabinet artwork.
Wacky stuff.

Oh the game is pretty fun, too. Not a super complex game, but that is kind
of the charm. It's all about scoring points instead of achieving some super
duper wizard mode. It's more about fun instead of appealing to extreme
pinball geeks. Add a holographic Creature, one of the most satisfying modes
ever in "Move Your Car" and you have yourself a classic game.

- Kevin

PinBotz -- Enhancements for Classic Pinball Machines
http://www.pinbotz.com
Now Available: The PinBotz Guide to the Greatest
Pinball Machines of the 80's & 90's
http://www.pinbotz.com/book

"dd" <armandb@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hey guys, been thinking of buying a creature. I really like the art
> work. What do you think of the game play??

[Re: is creature any good?]

First, I must highly suggest trying to find one to play first. Buying
on opinion is a good way to get disappointed.

But

I really like mine. It is a game that makes you make every shot count.
The wide throst between the flippers is simply too unforgiving to just
slap the ball around. You BETTER put it right where you want it, or
goodnight gracie.

Don't believe the talk about being shallow. Just because the modes
don't have insert lights in the playfield doesn't mean they aren't
there :)

Yes, the ultimate goal is Super Jackpot, but on this game that is a
very challenging proposition. Maintaining the two balls in play while
getting there is pretty tough.

I don't think it would be a good 'one game only' machine, but if you
have even one complimentary (open) playfield it would be a fine
addition.

But you should play one first.

-Cody

Personally, I could take it or leave it....more so, take it.

It is, however, one of my wifes favorites. Others have also mentioned
it is a "chick" pin. :)

Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

"Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"

(Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)

dd wrote:
> Hey guys, been thinking of buying a creature. I really like the art
> work. What do you think of the game play??

This pin was a popular machine about a year ago, and now it seems to be
taking a beating, do you think the price will drop? Personally I like
the machine but I have thought it was a bit too pricey for most of the
"negative" reasons listed in todays posts. I will buy one soon and
"hopefully" I will like owning it. :)

I've got 13 machines in my basement,...Creature is my latest and is
getting the most gameplay by me...maybe it's just the newness, but I
love the soundtrack (fifties drive-in music). The gameplay is
fun...the holo is cool (I swapped mine out for a nice green one and
usually turn the lights out to play for the really vivid green)...will
always be in my collection...good luck with it.

John

Creech rocks!

GRY

<JHoge2@msn.com> wrote in message
> I've got 13 machines in my basement,...Creature is my latest and is
> getting the most gameplay by me...maybe it's just the newness, but I
> love the soundtrack (fifties drive-in music). The gameplay is
> fun...the holo is cool (I swapped mine out for a nice green one and
> usually turn the lights out to play for the really vivid green)...will
> always be in my collection...good luck with it.
>
> John

Find a clean creature somewhere to play to form your own opinion. I
would caution against finding a blown out location pin as it may leave
a bad impression. I realize "Clean" and "Location" don't play well
together these days (Unfortunately).

Personally, I really like my Creech. It is also the only pin I own so
either I am really biased or it IS good enough to be your only pin.
That being said I will be buying a more complex pin in the near future
to satisfy my hardcore inner pinhead needs. Likely a TZ.

Creech is a fun game. It's all about high score not completing modes
for the sake of completing modes. Back to the basics of pinball in my
opinion, score is everything. There are plenty of modes to keep you
busy along the way it's just that they are a not the primary focus. I
have to say that what I like about creech is that all the shots are
very attainable. You always feel like your next game will be
killer...That's what keeps me coming back for more.

The other upside is tha Creech is an easy game to sell if you ever felt
you had to.

Ceegary wrote:
> Creech rocks!
>
> GRY
>
> <JHoge2@msn.com> wrote in message
> > I've got 13 machines in my basement,...Creature is my latest and is
> > getting the most gameplay by me...maybe it's just the newness, but I
> > love the soundtrack (fifties drive-in music). The gameplay is
> > fun...the holo is cool (I swapped mine out for a nice green one and
> > usually turn the lights out to play for the really vivid green)...will
> > always be in my collection...good luck with it.
> >
> > John

Adi

It's a classic. Geared towards better than average "guest" at a party in
your house. It's a player's game with a unique theme, very retro artwork and
an awesome cabinet.

Adi
www.txpinball.com

"dd" <armandb@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hey guys, been thinking of buying a creature. I really like the art
> work. What do you think of the game play??

Adi

Your pissy attitude and negativity about pretty much everything does too,
but nobody complains.

Adi
www.txpinball.com

"pinballjim" <pinballjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Gets old *fast*.

Taxman

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Yes it is a fun game and that is a good price. It is a bit simple /
shallow, but still a keeper. I have 18 games and put it in the top 4 with
TZ, TAF and WW (as in WH2O) and play it quite often. Yes, it is better in a
collection not the only game, but then a collection is better than one game
;)

- Dave