Header pin question-Newbie

David

I've had intermittent problems with General Illumination on my Sega
Frankenstein machine for almost a year. I've replaced the burnt connector
and now I see the header pin plastic is cracked in two. I know this sounds
stupid, but I'm new at this. Are the male header pins soldered on the
circuit board from the back? If so, that's more than I'm sure I can handle.
I just can't find anyone in my area (Bloomington, IN) that works on them.
Thanks, David

remove the board and send it to Clive. Header pins are easy, and
shouldn't cost much to replace them.

Usually you replace both, connector and header pins, which are soldered on.
LTG :)

"David" <daenglan@indiana.edu> wrote in message
> I've had intermittent problems with General Illumination on my Sega
> Frankenstein machine for almost a year. I've replaced the burnt connector
> and now I see the header pin plastic is cracked in two. I know this sounds
> stupid, but I'm new at this. Are the male header pins soldered on the
> circuit board from the back? If so, that's more than I'm sure I can
handle.
> I just can't find anyone in my area (Bloomington, IN) that works on them.
> Thanks, David

David

Ok, but who and where is Clive? Thanks

<mrjmross@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> remove the board and send it to Clive. Header pins are easy, and
> shouldn't cost much to replace them.

http://webpages.charter.net/coinopcauldron/Index.html Clive's the man. LTG
:)

> Ok, but who and where is Clive? Thanks
>
> <mrjmross@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > remove the board and send it to Clive. Header pins are easy, and
> > shouldn't cost much to replace them.

Take a close look at them from the back side. It's a very easy repair.
You can probably just heat the pins (on the back side) and add a
little soldier to each. That'll reflow them and more than likely fix
the problem. Best would be using a soldier puller and removing the old
soldier, but if you don't have one, adding should do the trick.

zTim

If you want to attempt this yourself, get a copy of This Old Pinball
TOP#3 DVD video for $8. It shows how to do this exact repair yourself.
http://marvin3m.com/top

David wrote:
> I've had intermittent problems with General Illumination on my Sega
> Frankenstein machine for almost a year. I've replaced the burnt connector
> and now I see the header pin plastic is cracked in two. I know this sounds
> stupid, but I'm new at this. Are the male header pins soldered on the
> circuit board from the back? If so, that's more than I'm sure I can handle.
> I just can't find anyone in my area (Bloomington, IN) that works on them.
> Thanks, David

Reflowing the solder won't untarnish the pins.

Replacing them is the best way to go.

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com