Is it really prudent installing IE Security updates?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834707/

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873346

Why would anyone want to go through the hell caused by these updates? I
suppose the hell caused by the malware on the Net these days is a good
excuse. I don't know it's a dilemma. And no I am not going sit idly by
while Microsoft does everything in their power to make computer us a bummer

--
George Hester
_________________________________

George Hester wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834707/
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873346
>
> Why would anyone want to go through the hell caused by these updates? I
> suppose the hell caused by the malware on the Net these days is a good
> excuse. I don't know it's a dilemma. And no I am not going sit idly by
> while Microsoft does everything in their power to make computer us a bummer
>
> --
> George Hester
> _________________________________

To be "prudent", yes. Almost all security consultants will
say so. A policy statement for installing MS security updates
is written into our medical center's corporate compliance and
HIPAA programs. But IT professionals are expected to go one
step further and run feasibility and suitability trials since
it should not be expected that lawyers understand computer
engineering or science.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

That depends. Are you really interested in the answer, or did you just feel
like seeing your rant archived for posterity?

If you really are interested, the answer is: yes. Microsoft security updates
are not only prudent, they are vital. People who use their computers
correctly have no trouble with security updates, hotfixes and service packs.
It's the ones who don't know how to use their computers correctly who
experience problems, and will continue to experience problems until finally
they decide to spend the time to learn. I got that through my thick skull
years ago, and since then it's been smooth sailing.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834707/
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873346
>
> Why would anyone want to go through the hell caused by these updates? I
> suppose the hell caused by the malware on the Net these days is a good
> excuse. I don't know it's a dilemma. And no I am not going sit idly by
> while Microsoft does everything in their power to make computer us a
bummer

> --
> George Hester
> _________________________________

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I really do not think so. All the errors that arise in the articles I
posted are not due to being dumb. They are due to the Microsoft Secutity
Updates for Microsoft Internet Explorer. That is what they say. My rant is
the truth whether you agree with it or not. I give people a little more
credit than you do.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
> That depends. Are you really interested in the answer, or did you just
feel
> like seeing your rant archived for posterity?
>
> If you really are interested, the answer is: yes. Microsoft security
updates
> are not only prudent, they are vital. People who use their computers
> correctly have no trouble with security updates, hotfixes and service
packs.
> It's the ones who don't know how to use their computers correctly who
> experience problems, and will continue to experience problems until
finally
> they decide to spend the time to learn. I got that through my thick skull
> years ago, and since then it's been smooth sailing.
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834707/
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873346
> >
> > Why would anyone want to go through the hell caused by these updates? I
> > suppose the hell caused by the malware on the Net these days is a good
> > excuse. I don't know it's a dilemma. And no I am not going sit idly by
> > while Microsoft does everything in their power to make computer us a
> bummer
> >
> > --
> > George Hester
> > _________________________________

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Yes, it is prudent to install the security updates. If you read the info of
the Internet, the security updates are mainly preceded with article stating
what vulnerabilities that require an updates. These vulnerabilities could
possibly be "exploited" by other people in hopes of bring down your not
updated Windows.

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834707/
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873346
>
> Why would anyone want to go through the hell caused by these updates? I
> suppose the hell caused by the malware on the Net these days is a good
> excuse. I don't know it's a dilemma. And no I am not going sit idly by
> while Microsoft does everything in their power to make computer us a
> bummer
>
> --
> George Hester
> _________________________________

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Yes I thought "prudent" would be a good description of the issue. All these
security updates for Microsoft Internet Explorer and all the fixes to the
fixes to the fixes to the fixess... So I asked is it prudent? Of course it
is always Prudent to follow Corporate Compliance Agreements can't knock
that. But I don't know how Prudent it is if all you want to do is keep your
hair.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message

> George Hester wrote:
>
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834707/
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873346
> >
> > Why would anyone want to go through the hell caused by these updates? I
> > suppose the hell caused by the malware on the Net these days is a good
> > excuse. I don't know it's a dilemma. And no I am not going sit idly by
> > while Microsoft does everything in their power to make computer us a
bummer

> > --
> > George Hester
> > _________________________________
> >

> To be "prudent", yes. Almost all security consultants will
> say so. A policy statement for installing MS security updates
> is written into our medical center's corporate compliance and
> HIPAA programs. But IT professionals are expected to go one
> step further and run feasibility and suitability trials since
> it should not be expected that lawyers understand computer
> engineering or science.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Can't argue with that. And I got another reason why it is prudent. To keep
me busy cleaning out and maintaining their machines both Security updates
and the stuff they are supposed to guard us from.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
> Yes, it is prudent to install the security updates. If you read the info
of
> the Internet, the security updates are mainly preceded with article
stating
> what vulnerabilities that require an updates. These vulnerabilities could
> possibly be "exploited" by other people in hopes of bring down your not
> updated Windows.
>

> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834707/
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873346
> >
> > Why would anyone want to go through the hell caused by these updates? I
> > suppose the hell caused by the malware on the Net these days is a good
> > excuse. I don't know it's a dilemma. And no I am not going sit idly by
> > while Microsoft does everything in their power to make computer us a
> > bummer
> >
> > --
> > George Hester
> > _________________________________

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

<snip>

> People who use their computers
> correctly have no trouble with security updates, hotfixes and service
> packs.
> It's the ones who don't know how to use their computers correctly who
> experience problems, and will continue to experience problems until
> finally
> they decide to spend the time to learn. I got that through my thick skull
> years ago, and since then it's been smooth sailing.

That is not always true. There is a very small number of cases where some
incompatible hardware driver or software can cause a problem with an update.
That is why the KB articles exist, to post workarounds for problems that are
found. If enough systems are affected then an updated update will be
released :)

One of the reasons pc's became so popular was because of the open
architecture. It is also one of the reasons why writing code is so hard.
There is no way to test every combination of drivers and installed programs.

It is always prudent to backup your system before applying any updates.

Kerry

Jim

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834707/
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873346
>
> Why would anyone want to go through the hell caused by these updates? I
> suppose the hell caused by the malware on the Net these days is a good
> excuse. I don't know it's a dilemma. And no I am not going sit idly by
> while Microsoft does everything in their power to make computer us a
> bummer
>
> --
> George Hester
> _________________________________

Aren't these fixes for IE6 SP?. Well, I have IE6 SP2. I have never had any
trouble caused by any of the fixes, so I am definitely not tearing my hair
out.
Jim

jonah

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:43:51 -0400, "George Hester"
<hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote:

>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834707/
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873346
>
>Why would anyone want to go through the hell caused by these updates? I
>suppose the hell caused by the malware on the Net these days is a good
>excuse. I don't know it's a dilemma. And no I am not going sit idly by
>while Microsoft does everything in their power to make computer us a bummer

Wotcha gonna do then? spit yer dummy?

$100 / hour to fix problems on PCs for people who have no time, desire
or inclination to learn anything beyond basic print & file, I am not
complaining. I suppose the coders could make their code totally secure
and error free if we were prepared to wait about a century for the
next SP however the result would be a PC so secure it would be as
useful as a chocolate fireguard.

Jonah

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

George,

I use W2000, XP and W2003 but none of my systems are "Mission Critical" and
I don't use "Old" software at home so I have always had automatic updates on
and never had a single problem. At work they do use some "Old" software and
so have to be a little more careful in case there's a conflict, but even so
there have been no problems yet. There have been problems caused by NOT
keeping up to date.

So I would say it IS prudent but shoudl be done with care.

When update problems do occur it is not usually the update at fault but the
fact that it "Corrects" something that some other software deliberately
broke. For example if you have some spyware which is not written to conform
to Windows Standards (and a lot of it is not by design) then a security
update may break the bad programming.

Unfortunately it's a fact of life that there are thousands of possible
combinations, so it's like a situation where GM come out with a fix for your
Corvette engine. For most people it will work just fine but if the previous
owner slipped in a Ford V8 with or without your knowledge the fix may well
break the engine.

Charlie

> Can't argue with that. And I got another reason why it is prudent. To
> keep
> me busy cleaning out and maintaining their machines both Security updates
> and the stuff they are supposed to guard us from.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _________________________________
> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, it is prudent to install the security updates. If you read the info
> of
>> the Internet, the security updates are mainly preceded with article
> stating
>> what vulnerabilities that require an updates. These vulnerabilities
>> could
>> possibly be "exploited" by other people in hopes of bring down your not
>> updated Windows.
>>

>> "George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834707/
>> >
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;873346
>> >
>> > Why would anyone want to go through the hell caused by these updates?
>> > suppose the hell caused by the malware on the Net these days is a good
>> > excuse. I don't know it's a dilemma. And no I am not going sit idly
>> > by
>> > while Microsoft does everything in their power to make computer us a
>> > bummer
>> >
>> > --
>> > George Hester

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I don't know what their for all I know is they are for IE and would install.
Let me put it this way. I don't want to install IE fixes and "I'm a na
gonna" - George Bush Sr.

--
George Hester