Slow startup

I had a 2.8Ghz HT XPSP2 PC with 3 (2PATA 1SATA) physical disks working
perfectly. Due to an unsuccesfull (locked up) Ghost backup, I had to
reinstall the OS and the lost SW. Now I get a super slow startup...but after
this maybe 10 minutes everything works well and fast. Afster POST everything
seems to start OK but my Norton virusscan seems to " refresh" for several
minutes, then I get a brief (baloon) message "no firewall turned on".
Shortly after this my network gets connected (icon in taskbar). If I then
select "My Computer" I get again during several minutes the "flashlight"
seeking for my drives. After this (much too long) startup, my PC works OK. I
already defragged, did a full virus system scan, and did a CHKDSK/F on all
disks. Nothing seems to be wrong, only my Norton viruscanner doesn't get a
perfect live update . Thanks for any advise.
2 answers Last reply
More about slow startup

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 20:45:46 +0200, "Andre De Clercq"
    <andre,declercq@pandora.be> wrote:

    >I had a 2.8Ghz HT XPSP2 PC with 3 (2PATA 1SATA) physical disks working
    >perfectly. Due to an unsuccesfull (locked up) Ghost backup, I had to
    >reinstall the OS and the lost SW. Now I get a super slow startup...but after
    >this maybe 10 minutes everything works well and fast. Afster POST everything
    >seems to start OK but my Norton virusscan seems to " refresh" for several
    >minutes, then I get a brief (baloon) message "no firewall turned on".
    >Shortly after this my network gets connected (icon in taskbar). If I then
    >select "My Computer" I get again during several minutes the "flashlight"
    >seeking for my drives. After this (much too long) startup, my PC works OK. I
    >already defragged, did a full virus system scan, and did a CHKDSK/F on all
    >disks. Nothing seems to be wrong, only my Norton viruscanner doesn't get a
    >perfect live update . Thanks for any advise.

    Norton again eh? every sick PC I see seems to have have Norton
    installed in one form or another or just had it re-installed.

    Norton gets so deep into the machine and uses a lot of resources, also
    when it goes wrong a re-install often makes things worse as it often
    does not uninstall properly. Dosen't even matter that you re-installed
    your OS Norton can still cause no end of problems in a clean PC with
    nothing else installed but the OS.

    I suggest you go to Symantec Website, get the information & tool to
    uninstall your particular flavour, remove it then see if your PC boot
    is fixed. After which you can re-install it and see if it works
    better. You need to get the right tool from Symantec to ensure a full
    uninstall.

    http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/techsupp/index.html

    Sorry its not the greatest support site in the world and every
    solution ends up with Uninstall / Re-install eventually, just go for
    your version and search for "uninstall" then have a stiff drink, you
    will need it 8-)

    While you are at it I suggest you look at this also.

    http://www.nod32uk.com/products/products.htm

    Jonah

    Seems Norton AV is responsible.Uninstall Norton.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Andre De Clercq wrote:
    > I had a 2.8Ghz HT XPSP2 PC with 3 (2PATA 1SATA) physical disks working
    > perfectly. Due to an unsuccesfull (locked up) Ghost backup, I had to
    > reinstall the OS and the lost SW. Now I get a super slow startup...but after
    > this maybe 10 minutes everything works well and fast. Afster POST everything
    > seems to start OK but my Norton virusscan seems to " refresh" for several
    > minutes, then I get a brief (baloon) message "no firewall turned on".
    > Shortly after this my network gets connected (icon in taskbar). If I then
    > select "My Computer" I get again during several minutes the "flashlight"
    > seeking for my drives. After this (much too long) startup, my PC works OK. I
    > already defragged, did a full virus system scan, and did a CHKDSK/F on all
    > disks. Nothing seems to be wrong, only my Norton viruscanner doesn't get a
    > perfect live update . Thanks for any advise.

Slow Startup Windows XP